Thread: tactics for warm toes

Default tactics for warm toes

I've searched the archives, but have not seen what I'm looking for.

What do you do to keep the toes toasty warm and happy all day long? Give up your secrets regarding boots, socks, liner socks, mycoal heaters...whatever it may be.

The circulation to my previously frostbitten toes just isn't doing the trick this year. I need your help and experiences.

Thanks much!

The consistent answer seems to be good ole bunny boots.

Bunny boots with a wool sock liner if you expect wet conditions. Military mukluks, oversized for good airflow, and wool socks with an extra wool/felt liner in the bottom if you don't expect wet conditions.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default A pair

of Cabelas Predator pac boots. Have NEVER gotten cold in them and have been out at extended -40 to -60 times. Rarely do I ever wear more than one pair of socks. For my daughters, I duct tape the chemical foot warmers to the underside of their feet if they get cold. Works great for them!

Spray your feet with deodorant; this will help keep them from sweating.

Put on a wool sock, then a plastic bag over the sock and another wool sock. The plastic bag will keep the outer sock dry and your feet warm.

Don't laugh until you tried it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up

quit smoking!!! i am still in my Tenney shoes... wander out to the car in my bare feet.... and am too warm all the time...

of course it think the additional 20lbs is helping too
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I found Bunny boots to be too...

warm & would make my feet sweat like a stuck pig...I never did like them...I have a pair of Sorel Glaciers that I LOVE! THey're warm & combined with a pair of wool or warm socks are THE BEST at keeping my feet warm & fairly dry...that & some foot powder, you're feet will be thanking you for them...

Stay dry, stay warm...

Smile that's a start - still looking

Thanks guys.

I'd really like to avoid the bunny boot thing, leaving it for the last choice when all else fails. The pac boots are likely to be part of my arsenal when I develop my new tactic.

Never smoked, so your idea isn't gonna work for me Vince. And I'd give up that barefoot idea before you have toes like mine.

Not too sure about the plastic bag idea either, but it's worth a try.

I'm sure the dry feet concept is valid, but I think my problem is bigger than that.

Still looking for more ideas and willing to consider most anything you've got to offer.

You do know any part of the body that was frostbitten is going to be very sensitive to cold and will also get frostbitten faster the 2nd time, so be careful.

My LaCrosse Extreme pac boots and a pair of good wool socks have served me well over the past 10 years. The trick is to find a good wool sock, Wigwam makes a thick wool sock that I really like with a liner built in. If the temps dip below frigid I'll wear two pairs of socks. I've tried thin wool socks and poly pro socks as a liner sock, both have worked well.

If you have the room in your boot the Bama Booties are nice

There have been some excellent suggestions so far. Needless to say the basics are important, like keeping your core temperature up by doing things like wearing a warm hat/balaclava, "If your feet are cold put on your hat." And of course it's vital to keep that warm blood flowing into your feet, with boots and socks that are big enough but not too big.

I wear a set of Baffin -100 boots...similar to the Baffin Barrow now but mine are an older version that have a heavier upper. They are 100% waterproof and go nearly to my knees. I wear one pair of socks in them, and my feet have never gotten cold. For me the key is to make sure I have enough room to wear my socks and still have lots of wiggle room.

A suggestion for using a pair of socks, then a plastic bag, then another pair of socks was made. This can work, or you can use a "vapor barrier" right on your skin. Plastic bag, neoprene socks, those things work as a vapor barrier and will increase your warmth. The downside of using a vapor barrier is that if you use it for too long you can get trench foot. But just for a few hours or a day, you'd be fine.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    A suggestion for using a pair of socks, then a plastic bag, then another pair of socks was made. This can work, or you can use a "vapor barrier" right on your skin. Plastic bag, neoprene socks, those things work as a vapor barrier and will increase your warmth. The downside of using a vapor barrier is that if you use it for too long you can get trench foot. But just for a few hours or a day, you'd be fine.
    I agree,proper feet care is a must.

Spray your feet with deodorant will help keep them from sweating.

Default good info

Thanks everyone for your input. Some good ideas there.

Still accepting additional ideas/concepts/etc. if anyone else cares to chime in.

Is the problem that your feet sweat, have poor circulation, etc? My feet freeze easily when I'm posting as my feet sweat easily which we all know sucks when you are in the cold standing still.

Things I've tried are:
    -Obviously a good pair of wool socks, I love my SmartWool and a thin base layer sock.
    -duct tape heating pads to the underside of the toes, keeps them really toasty but will make your feet sweat.
    -I've poured baby powder in my socks to absorb any moisture from sweating, worked ok, not the greatest.
    -I purchased these pads that are meant for people with excessive arm pit sweat.. I used them on my feet and it worked well. Can get costly though.
    -Good insulated insoles in your boots that will keep the ground cold from getting to your feet.
    -Boots that are wind proof

You can combine a few of these and you will definitely have hot feet!

Paul

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i cant believe the basics have not been posted..
    good boots are a must . but the reason hands and feet get cold is body core circulation. if your core is cooling your blood flow to the extremities slows.. proper body core temp control is a must. if you break a sweat hiking in the cool months. you need to NOT stop and cool down but to slow down and cool as you move. a sudden cool off creates an alarm to the body.. and shuts down blood flow you DO NOT have to have a certain temp range to have hypo thermia either.just a sudden shift in body temps.

if you dress to be active you need to stay active. if your standing around you need almost more layers then you can deal with. and insulated layers.. NOT skin tight underarmores and such Polly blends made for active users. moisture control clothes SOCKS and your hat. all plays into cooling the body correctly. activity in the VERY cold -40 and lower should consider a breath warmer as that to can send some into core retention of blood and slow circ to the hands and feet. in short with out exposure and practice your experiencing the similarities of the Macmillan( sp) Divers reflex,,, dive in a cold water and come up gasping while the body shuts down..completely involuntary reactions to cold water.. that with practice can be over come. the same principle applies to working in extreme cold air. your body needs to be trained ...

the OP also suffers from previous frost bite.. if sever enough. it will ALWAYS be with him. my feet are so hot that i have been for years able to walk to the out house or car in my bare feet at -40 and better. with little discomfort. but that is for short periods..

i wear bunny boots when extended periods are expected. i wear leather boots most days of in and out. if i will be sitting or laying in ground contact with my core it will be insulated and bunny boots on. a ground pad is recommended. to keep for one main reason.. from thawing the ice or snow your on and getting wet. even if it is just a cardboard box to lay under the car with for a moment.

quitting smoking this year has helped a ton with my circ. i am too hot all the time ..( well i should say warm as i am always hot) and i catch my self under dressing because i am warm. leading to being cold or wet shortly later while out...

the Temps we will experience here in the Interior the next two months need to have serious consideration to attire prior to heading out in them and not be done hap.hazardly..CORE CORE CORE CORE CORE ... temp regulation and heat retention.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Has anyone used/tried Gortex socks? I also have a problem of my feet sweating then getting cold

That's the beauty of bunny boots. Feet wet..feet still warm
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem