Thread: Black Bear Hunting By Boat Guided

Thumbs up Black Bear Hunting By Boat Guided

My wife an I are looking into our first trip to Alaska in the spring of 2008.While there I would like to do a bear hunt,my wife would come along as a non hunter.I have seen some guides claim you can bear hunt,halibit fish,and set crab traps.Im looking for some good staight advice.Please help

That would only be possible in Southeast Alaska. I can't recommend any good outfitters, but there are a number that offer such trips. Take a look into Prince of Wales Island. I've never hunted Southeast, but I know that there are lots of bears on POW and that they take some pretty decent bears there.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether the crab season is open during the spring bear season. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one. If you time it right, though, king salmon (saltwater) or steelhead (freshwater) fishing might be an option as well.

-Brian

you could do shrimp halibut and bear in PWS in the spring
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've done halibut and black bear in PWS. AK powder monkey is right, you can also do shrimp. I don't think a nonresident can do personal use king crab, but I could be wrong. I know a few boat transporters in PWS but no guides, haven't ever needed one. Sorry.

Take a look at www.muskegexcursions.com. I have not hunted with Johnnie but the guys over on the Bowsite have great things to say about his hunts. I did an unguided hunt last year and Johnnie helped me out as if I was his own customer.

Default Bear From a Boat

I used Stikine Guide Service out of Petersburg in 2001 and shot a very nice 7'+ bear. It was boat based and I had a great time. David knows bear hunting. We had poor weather and I was actually only able to hunt about 7 hours over three days, but in that time I saw 14 bears. Stalked on 3 of them and then took mine at 75 yards.

Lightbulb blk bear boat operators

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    I can't recommend any good outfitters, but there are a number that offer such trips.

-Brian
    I beleive that there is a message there that speaks louder than words. proceed with caution.

that being said. i did not know that muskeg exc' did boat hunts? in either case by all accounts he is hard working and reputable. i would hunt with him myself given the chance. i can't say the same thing about some other boat operators.

another worth looking into is james boyce, a vietnam era SEAL who knows how to handle a boat in rough water or close in to shore. he has a good record of producing large bears.

bringing the wife along will limit options. hope you have a great trip.

you don't need a guide to hunt black bear. any transporter with a boat would be the same thing. just you spot the bears, unload from the boat into a raft and go after it on your own. In pws you can't shoot the boat anymore. have to land and stalk or sometime just shoot once your feet hit the shore, have done that before. Bears don't expect danger from the water. They will just watch you from my experiences. I am not a transporter yet but will be someday. If i had the choice i would like to hunt POW island. a lot of 8'ers come out of there and lots of guides have bait stations, which if fun too. goodluck.

Cold - I wasn't trying to imply anything there - just that I don't have any experience in SE, thus can't give any specific recommendations.

-Brian

P.S. If you hunt SC try and find the guy named Charlie he works for a pilot named Joe, Charlie is the MAN
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default crabbing

As for the crabbing, in SE only the dungeness and Tanner (AKA snow crab) will be available at that time. In northern SE the king crab opens July 1st, but it's only open to residents anyway. Those dungies are great fun to catch and eat too though-

Thanks for all the advice up to this point.Ive been doing alot of computer time and will be looking forward to anymore advice you all have.

I believe that Kuiu island in between Sitka and Petersburg has one of the highest percentages of black bears anywhere. Ask about it and definately look at the outfits in Sitka and Petersburg as well as the popular Prince of Wales option.

I have gotten some names of bioligist with the ADF&G and will be calling soon.Im also checking into what it will take to visit Anchorage/Denali area and then travel to Ketchikan area to hunt POW.Please keep the advice coming.

Default Shrimping in PWS

I don't see shrimping as an option in PWS. FIve pots, 600 foot of line, a bouy and a depth finder is a little chunk of money. Then the bouy has to be registered to the boat pulling the pots and have the owners information. Most people can't pull five pots by hand. I know, I have done it for five years now. A transporter allowing you to pull his pots might be a better option.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Bear hunting from a boat

I have hunted the coast of AK for 20 years for bears and the best "boat hunt" i have done is on Prince of Whales. You don't need a guide if you are an experienced hunter. IT is pretty straight forward huntinng. You can get into some good fishing and crabbing but that part of it is better int he fall. I do recommend if hunting bears is the primary objective you go in the spring. Just find a transporter. The hunt in my opinion is better inthe spring when you are not wading through 1million dead salmon and I believe you have abetter chance of getting a quality bear. I am going back again this May and will continue to my entire life. I have hunted and fished all over the world and S.E. Alaska spring bear hunt is my favorite. Do a little research and find someone who is reputable and it is hard to go wrong. The only guy I go with anymore is Dan Knight who owns Team Navy Charters in Ketchikan. He is excellent and a lot of fun. Tell him the boys from AL sent you. You will have a good time.

Last fall I went out of seward to pws with a transporter. We left september 2nd and came back sept 8. What a fantastic experience. Just amazing. Our mission was a Black bear hunt and Black tailed deer hunt. We motored out and before we made it to far from ressurection bay we saw killer whales that swam right near our boat. When we finnally made it our destination we saw bears right off. We all took bears. The largest was about 6'. For all the hunters this was our first alaskan big game and our first bears. I am a very patient hunter and I took my bear on the last day. We assumed that I shot the largest bear. here is a pic.

Altogether we thought we saw about 40 Bears in 3 days of hunting. That is a conservative estimate. The bear were heavy in the streams eating salmon. We saw very few bears glassing higher up.

The deer hunt was a bust. 50 mph winds and rain spoiled that. We did spend 2 days exploring montaghue island. We saw a Dandy Brown Bear on the beach one night. pretty exciting.

We caught halibut one day. Another day they had a giant skate on and let it go after an exciting battle chasing it with the skiff. We also set shrimp pots. Alot of work for little bit of shrimp. Interesting none the less. quite an adventure. If you use a transporter make sure you FULLY understand what you are paying for. A few of us didnt know what to fully expect and it kinda hurt a bit of our trip. I will be going again with a transporter. As for now, I do not want to deer hunt. I would much rather Bear hunt and Have a better chance at a larger bear. Also we decided it may have been a bit early to deer hunt. Some tracks on the beach but we never saw a deer in 3 days of being in the bay on the island. good luck and take plenty of camera with you. You will see some amazing sights for sure.

GRIZZLY AND REM700,
    Thanks for your imput,as far as going with a transporter goes im thinking because my wife is going along as a nonhunter I should play it safe and get a guide.Again its my first trip to AL I just want to cover all the bases.Grizzly I will look at your transporter you used THANKS LIEBE

Default Reference

You might want to consider this outfitter, Keegan McCarthy.

I haven't hunted with him but I met him at the Hunt Expo in Salt Lake City and I was very impressed with him to say the least.

Now wishing we would have booked with him for a spring bear hunt this year. Instead we are booked with a transporter in the Kenai area.

Keegan guides in SE AK out of Douglas.

http://www.oceanpointalaska.com/home.htm

Good Luck

I also forgot to ask for some advice on some sight seeing.We will have a week of sight seeing and a week of hunting.Any suggestions would be helpful. THANK YOU LIEBE