Thread: Fishing knife

Default Fishing knife

i have been using a 6" rapala fish knife for years, but think a longer blade may work better. is a 9" blade too long and hard to handle?

what are your thoughts on the cold steel or the knives of alaska model?

thanks in advance for your help.
    happy trails.
    jh

Default Man, I'm under-equipped I guess!

Swiss Army pocket knife for 8" rainbow stockers all the way to king salmon. What have I been missing out on?

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    i have been using a 6" rapala fish knife for years, but think a longer blade may work better. is a 9" blade too long and hard to handle?

what are your thoughts on the cold steel or the knives of alaska model?

thanks in advance for your help.
    I have a couple of those Rapala knives too.......the ones with the wooden handle?
    I generally have three fishing knives. A small fillet knife for filleting smaller fish (when i used to live in maine). I would use this smaller fillet knife on yellow perch, white perch, pickeral (kinda like a pike).
    The second knife was a full sized fillet knife for the larger fish like atlantic salmon, and small mouthed bass.
    The third knife was just a small 2.5 in. bladed old timer that i used for cleaning brook trout (very similiar to char). These trout and also for smelts dont need to be "filleted" and have no scales.
    Now....up here in AK.....my big fillet knife seems to get the most use.......but grayling, hooligan, rainbows, whitefish, and char still see my small old timer knife.

I use a 12" forschner knife for all my salmon cleaning. I use a 9" for all other fish. I would definitely move up from the 6" to 9".

Cutco fillet knife. They are adjustable, super steel and you can have the sales rep sharpen them for you. Spendy but Well worth it.

i always used my 6" rapala knife (the wooden handle one) and loved it. Unfortunately it was lost and the wife picked up some "knife" with a nine or ten inch blade and it was ridiculous. It was so flimsy you couldn't cut a strait line and way too hard to control. I would love my little rapala knife and will be picking up another one.

Default Fillet Knife

I use a Kershaw Clearwater. It extends from I believe 6" to 9" or so.
    Has several different locking positions. Works Great for me.
    Everything from 14" trout to 100# butts. I keep several around one on each boat one in the truck etc.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I got tired of buying Rapala fillet knives over the years, I finally splurged on a "fancy" Eagle River knives fillet knife this past year at the Fairbanks outdoors show. Definitely worth it, holds a great edge compared to Rapala knives. I've caught some flack for it from a few guys saying the steel isn't actually American made, and for the price of course, but I could care less as it worked great all summer for me...definitely worth it.

Fish On!

http://www.eagleriverknife.com/fillet.html
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I have one of the big Berkley fillet knives, something like a 12" blade that is very stiff. Whips right through salmon of all sizes, and I like the stiff blade as I find the flexible ones impossible to sharpen on a stone.

Cutco is the way to go. With the adjustable blade length, the edge it holds, not to mention the customer support if anything is wrong with it. Spendy...yes, but I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for.
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.