Thread: AD 41P-A Diesel Engine

Default AD 41P-A Diesel Engine

What is the difference between the KAD-41, AD41, KAD-42/43/44 diesel engines? Then there's the D4. I'm looking at a 27' Sea Sport that has the AD 41P-A engine, with Volvo Penta DP-E duoprop. New in 2004 with 900 hours on it.

I understand that preventive maintenance is all important, but given that it was taken care of, is this a good setup? Are anyone of those engines better than the other? Anything to look at in general with these engines? From searching these forums, I've read that the KAD42 was one to stay away from? What would the advantages/disadvantages be of this engine vs a 5.7L Mericursier?

There are a number of Sea Sports with diesel engines for sale in SE AK. Is there any particular reason for this? Are they packing it in? Going to outboards? Aluminum? Or just the normal ebb and flow of boat ownership? Thanks for your responses.

Volvo 40-series (40, 41, 42, 43, 44, and 300 - why did they call the last one 300??) are the same block, with HP increased over the years. The AD41 was 197 hp, 42 and 43 were 230, 44 was 260, and the 300 maxed out the series at 282 hp. 42 and 43 added belt-driven superchargers in addition to turbos. 44 and 300 are supercharged, 24-valve and electronic.

40 is old and low power. 41 is one of the most foolproof and long lived - they were still offered as a lower cost lower powered alternative even when 44 and then the 300 had replaced the 42 and 43 in the product line.

A 454 gas engine will give you higher top speed, but the diesel will get much better mileage and last much longer. A 41 properly used and maintained should last close to 10,000 hours. If you're buying used you'll want to make sure it has not been over-propped.

If you're a charter fisherman, a twin outboard setup is easier to count on every day, and if they're going out they can be quickly replaced. And they'll give you higher top speed. If you're a cruiser like me, or a recreational fisherman who puts lots of miles on, the diesel I/O has advantages - better fuel economy especially in a heavy boat, and easy cabin heat and hot water, for instance.

I have a 26' Bounty with a Volvo KAD44P electronic diesel (260hp). It's somewhat like a Sea Sport 27 Navigator with a nicer interior. Maybe a bit heavier and deeper-v too. My 44 has 3914 hours so far in 12 years. Not hard to keep it in good shape if it's propped correctly and maintained regularly. Don't stretch oil changes, make sure belts are tight, etc. I really like the electronic engine controls, throttle and shifter. Estimated life on the 44 is 6,000 to maybe 8,000 hours.

My sterndrive (290 DP-E) is maxed out by the power of the 44 diesel, and not as robust as you might like with that much torque pushing it. Mine blew up at 743 hours, but Volvo replaced the leg on their nickel. Since then it's been fine except that it needed the clutch cone redone once. Volvo's newer diesels have tougher sterndrives.

Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post

40 is old and low power. 41 is one of the most foolproof and long lived - they were still offered as a lower cost lower powered alternative even when 44 and then the 300 had replaced the 42 and 43 in the product line.
    The AD41P is bullet proof! I now have a D4 with new a DPH-A, if you buy add a shower to the outdrive. I blew a turbo seal and that was about it as far a "major" issue. It was a 24ft coho XL, I used it 1200hrs a year. the leg(outdrive lasts about 1200hr) I'm on my 6th engine for this boat since new in 1996! I've had a Volvo gas, volvo diesel, merc diesel(lasted 1000hrs) merc diesel(lasted 1000hrs), yanmar 6LPA with bravo2&3X drives, and now a D4 with DPH-A
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I agree that the 41P has a great reputation. The D4 is a common rail injection motor which means that it gets even better mileage and does not smoke when you start it cold like the older diesels do.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Then there is the D4!

[QUOTE=Sasquatch;632890]What is the difference between the KAD-41, AD41, KAD-42/43/44 diesel engines? Then there's the D4.

I have the the D4 and so far it has been good,( watch out for eel grass) talk to kodiak combo for details.
    From what I gather the D4 has a lower RPM than the other KAD & AD engines max operating from 3400 - 3600 verses 3600 -3900 also I think it has a larger displacement 3.7 compared to 3.6. The electronic injection is a real plus when it comes to exhuast smell and smoke. The DPH-A drive goes from 210hp - 370hp it seems to be well made so far. The new d series also have a larger alternator.

I think routine maintenance is the key, ask for service records.

Chuck

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default trimmed up right height of grass

[QUOTE=Salt Chukar;633933]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I have the the D4 and so far it has been good,( watch out for eel grass) talk to kodiak combo for details.
    Chuck
    The outdrive was trimmed up a bit and I idled slowly just over the right height of eel grass and the drive acted like a vacuum cleaner, taking up the eel grass from the top, thats all I can figure. I've been thru eel grass before, but not with the results of plugging the hose before the strainer.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com