Thread: I'm Curious

Default I'm Curious

After seeing pictures of lynx, fox etc caught in traps, and assuming you want the pelt in prime condition, how do you kill the animal?

paper bag method.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Lynx you can dispatch with a snare..marten, fox and other small critters can be tapped on the bridge of the nose to knock them unconcious then step on the heart(behind front shoulder) to stop the heart.

Anything bigger...yotes,wolves,wolverine, etc, .22 to the heart..small hole easy to fix...

Thats just how I do it anyway...

Default lynx are tough

At least tougher than a friend thought. He tapped one on the nose, knocked it out, (or so he thought) proceeded to step on it, (in soft snow) and lo and behold it came to life.
    It started eating him from the sole of his bunny boot and headed north. He could not get away any more than a guy can let go of a hot electric fence.
    He danced for quite a while with that cat before he won. Winning meant there was very little meat missing. On him. The cold weather was the saving grace here as he had lots of gear on. Without it that lynx would have owned him.
    I think that would have been one sight to see personally.

A long round wooden handle about 1-1/2 inches in diameter (to make it rigid enough) and about four feet long with a snare attached to it works well to control the fox and restrict their air intake. Using a three small eye bolts to hold the snare in place and give the cable a guide when you are pulling on the end works well. Plus, the round wood handle gives the fox something to bite, keeps them from biting at the snare cable, and it definitely keeps the snare from getting twisted and knotted.

I've never trapped a lynx, but I wouldn't feel bashful about using the same setup provided the trap set didn't give the lynx much slack to jump.

I've stood on their chest (while holding their head away from my legs with the above contraption) to kill them before, but I've also done something else that's shunned by some trappers. For fox, it takes an amazingly little force across the top of their head to fracture their skull just enough to kill them. It can cause a small bruise I'm told, but I've never really noticed one and I don't sell my hides to furriers. It's a quicker kill, and one that doesn't ruin the pelt. A few times while trapping along the coast NW of Nome, I'd use a shovel that I carried to dig out the atv. All it would take is to basically let gravity pull the shovel down onto the foxes head from a slightly elevated position, and it was enough to do them in. Other places I didn't carry a shovel all that often so I used a chunk of hard wood.

Oops, forgot something.

CG Swimmer, I'm in Kodiak and would be willing to show you what my contraption looks like. I haven't done any trapping for a few years, but I've kept a lot of my stuff. Just drop me a PM if you're interested. I'm out on the base every day. I'm retired CG, and I work for the BOSS contractor on base.

I use the "stepping method" as well, but only if I have my stick that is about 4 feet long and is a Y shape at the end. I place the Y over their neck, pinning them down.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Just what dkwarthog says. For lynx I've always just cut a pole on site. Even had to use my bootlace once (no snare handy) and worked just fine.

Sounds interesting. I'd be nervous that the snare would break walking up to the critter and it would climb up my leg chewing away

How long does the stepping method take with a fox or a lynx? Is it reliable?

Being a small-time predator caller and hope-to-be trapper, I don't think I'll be looking to sell anything. As such, I don't mind a small hole from a .22

22lr from a buckmark has worked for me. One small entrance wound and no exit so far.

I would like to live life to it's fullest and try the paper bag method when I grow up. Isn't life insurance a requirement before carrying the brown paper bag on the line?

That leads to another question.....which paper bag works best Carrs or Freddies? Is there an industrial paper bag that's superior to the typical plain jane grocery store paper bag?

I try to avoid the .22 dispatch wherever possible. Sewing a hole is no big deal, but washing the blood out of the fur is a PITA. I like to skin clean critters!!

The best way I've found to clean up blood in fur is to dunk it in water with a little dishwashing detergent like Dawn and then dry the fur...You really need to have the fur dry when you board it skin out or it matts...

And you dont want to leave dried blood in the fur, I dont believe it will come out easily once its dried..

The wolf on my wall was covered in blood, from snout to the tip of the tail. We washed off as much as we could, which made a noticable difference but the blood was still there and it dried. The tanning process took out all of the blood and is a fine looking gray wolf. If I showed you a before and after picture you would swear up and down it's a different animal.

The wolf pulled the drag down a hill, got wrapped around some alders and punctured it's lip on a broken branch. It was laying in a pool of blood when I found it.

We've never had a bloody fur come back a mess after being tanned... and have never washed them.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    22lr from a buckmark has worked for me. One small entrance wound and no exit so far.

I would like to live life to it's fullest and try the paper bag method when I grow up. Isn't life insurance a requirement before carrying the brown paper bag on the line?

That leads to another question.....which paper bag works best Carrs or Freddies? Is there an industrial paper bag that's superior to the typical plain jane grocery store paper bag?

I believe it depends on the animal, the freddies and carrs bags are to big for gulos, you have to use the ones mom used to put your samich in when you were growingup.. that way its a quicker dispatch

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default critter dispatchin'

Fox get picked up by the tail and neck broke. No blood

Coyotes get nose tapped and rib stepped. Some are cooperative enough to get tail picked and rib stepped. No blood

Cats get what comes to them. pinned and stepped usually, but 22 in the ribs (lungs) puts 'em down fast. if they get the 22, they get skint right there.

No head shots as the skulls is worth $. So is claws & pp bones (keepin it g-rated)

pretty much everything else gets a good thump on the head. IF it's still kickin when I get there.

I can sew with the best, but prefer not to