Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster for a scoped handgun... input please...

Default Holster for a scoped handgun... input please...

I've scoured the internet, goolged till I've gone google and searched these forums to see what guys are using for a scoped handgun. It seems that most guys use either a nylon or leather bag slung around/over thier shoulder. No matter what they call them they are all pretty much the same. Whether they have a "harness system" or a "bandelero" or whatever. The leather gun bags are a little more form fitting but all these rigs look way too bulky to me.

I can't see why a guys needs the scope "protected". We;ve all been packing rifles around the woods and mountains for years with "unprotected" scopes on them. All a guy needs is some lens covers or a scope bikini.

This is for a SBH Hunter so the scope is mounted over the barrel in between the sites. I've run across a few that are an actual holster with a cutout that allows the gun to have a scope on it.

Freedom Arms makes a few for their revolvers but they have the scope mounted on the frame so the holsters are different than what I need for the SBH Hunter. I've seem a couple others but I think I've narrowed it down to the Galco Kodiak Hunter holster. Has anyone around here ever seen one in person? I found a thread on another forum that has a few pics and it looks pretty good. Galco Hunter Here's what it looks like. Galco Kodiak Hunter They can be had for about 160 bucks.

The one for the SBH (7.5 barrel) is the same as the one for the 8 3/4 in barrel smith. By the looks of it looks like it should fit pretty good and I could also use it without the scope if I want, I think. I'd sure like to see one but we don't have anything here in Fairbanks.

Opinions and input??

Default Holster

I bought this one from Cabela's to put my scoped 8.5 inch 454 in.

Only squawks were the velcro strap is noisy when you open the flap.

Duh, open the flap before you intend to shoot something.
    It is on sale now. I paid three times as much.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...o.x=18&Go.y=13

Those look great but $160 is pretty steep for me. I would like to see Uncle Mikes or some such make one in the $30/40 range. I have a couple of scoped 22 pistols that would be much easier to hunt with if there was a holster made for them. Also would like to put a scope on my 41 Blackhawk but haven't because of lack of a good way to carry it. Unfortunately there is not much demand for scoped pistol holsters. Maybe I'll make my own if I can ever get some time. I'm with you on the big and bulky as I just want it to hold the gun solid and cover the trigger. The rest can be exposed. Would like to see it in a hip holster.

Default Cost??

There on sale for less than $15.00

The two I had I just used a sling and it worked fine

If you want minimilast look at these guys. I have no experience with them.
    http://www.edgecustom.com/Holsters.html

I do have experience with the Pistol Packaging holster for scoped handguns & love it. I tried a Gun Mate nylon bandoleer type & was never happy with it. It was as you said simply a bag.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The galco is a very nice looking rig but to expensive for me. The Edgecustom won't fit my Buckmark or my Ruger MK1 and doesn't cover the trigger. The suitcase on the chest thing is just way to bulky for my liking. I'm thinking a holster built like an old Bianci front break and a thumb break strap. Just make it out of the stuff the Uncle Mikes are made from with a spring clip inside to squeeze against the barrel/slide and an open front. Oh yeah, and belt slots and a way to attach a harness in case you prefer the chest mount. For the large long barreled guns that Galco does look nice. If you get one let us know how you like it. Maybe I could sweet talk my bean counter.

Thanks guys for the input. I am dead set against a nylon bag. I had seen that clip-on type of deal also, it looks intriguing but I don't like how the gun kind of hangs out/sticks out there. It looks like it would flop around. I think the Galco (or equivalent) would keep the gun closer to the chest.

I emailed Rob at Simply Rugged, I have one of his pancakes for my 4" Redhawk, but he doesn't make scoped handgun holsters. I sent an email today to David Johnston at Diamond D. asking if he does, I haven't heard back yet.

This is a special project for me. This holster will be for a Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley 45 Colt. This was a special run done by Ruger for Lipseys about 5 years ago. They only made 603 with the regular grip frame and 279 of the Bisleys in 45 Colt and I got one. I'm still amazed. I fell into a sweet deal on this gun and decided to set up right. I have a 2x28 Weaver scope coming. I would have gone Leupold or Burris but they only make 2x scopes with a 20mm objective. I did not want a larger, bulkier 32mm variable. The specs of the Weaver look good, lifetime warranty and what I have read they hold up well to lots of heavy recoil. I want to treat it and myself to a nice holster. This will be a lifelong keeper and be my hunting revolver. I've been trying to get into handgun hunting over the last few years and this should make it happen. 160 or so will be within my budget limit for the holster. I got a skookum deal on the gun which helps.

Very nice setup and well worth spending the money for a good holster. Let us know what you end up with.

Snyd, glad you managed to pick that piece up!
    Go to this sight
    http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubb...Board/1/page/1
    and ask the same question there. My favorite handgun hunting sight. Lots of the guys there use the SBH Hunters (including a few in 45 Colt) & will maybe have some more ideas. They'll also want to drool over your new toy!
    They are a very helpful bunch with a ton of combined experience.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thanks Vance, I think I've lurked there some. Ya, it was pretty wild. I was shopping for a 5.5 inch stainless bisley, Accusport, when I was given the heads up on the add for this one which was right here in Fairbanks. Unbelievable. The add said it was a Bisley Hunter 45 Colt and the guy told me that's what it was when I called him but I still had to see it to believe it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Hey Snyd, there was a lot of talk recently about the Dimond D guy in Eagle River. have you contacted him to see if he could make you what you are looking for?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Hey Snyd, there was a lot of talk recently about the Dimond D guy in Eagle River. have you contacted him to see if he could make you what you are looking for?
    Ya, in fact I just posted that in my last post. I sent him an email the other day and just waiting to hear back.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Thanks Vance, I think I've lurked there some. Ya, it was pretty wild. I was shopping for a 5.5 inch stainless bisley, Accusport, when I was given the heads up on the add for this one which was right here in Fairbanks. Unbelievable. The add said it was a Bisley Hunter 45 Colt and the guy told me that's what it was when I called him but I still had to see it to believe it.

Merry Christmas!!!

Gary reeder Custom Guns makes some that might interest you.
    http://www.reedercustomguns.com/info...ccessories.htm
    Vance in AK.

I have one of those holsters that Cabelas sells. As mentioned, the velcro is very loud. But, most of my hunting is sitting, so I just remove the gun before I sit down. Also, I replaced the velcro with a snap. This holster is ok, but I still want a leather one.

Leather holsters for scoped revolvers are not too easy to find. On another forum, I found this link: http://shamrockholsters.com/banditos.htm Not real fancy, but it looks like it will do the job. And the price isn't bad either. I will probably order one soon, but I want to replace the Ultra Dot scope I have on my SBH with a different scope.

Maybe try Dave at Diamond leather, good guy and he makes great holsters

Quote Originally Posted by giavuc View Post
    Maybe try Dave at Diamond leather, good guy and he makes great holsters
    Ya, thanks. I'd already sent him an email but haven't heard back from yet.

Hunter holster company. They're on the Web. Plain Jane holsters, plain Jane price.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Dreamer View Post

Leather holsters for scoped revolvers are not too easy to find. On another forum, I found this link: http://shamrockholsters.com/banditos.htm Not real fancy, but it looks like it will do the job. And the price isn't bad either. .
    I'm not sure what the deal is but the Banditos that "Shamrock" is showing are "Pistol Packaging" products with a $5.00 per item markup!
    Here's PP's page
    http://www.pistolpackaging.com/
    Vance in AK.

Ya, the one with the removable flap looks interesting but I don't thing i want the bandelero style. It doesn't look as secure as the chest harness type rigs like diamond d's guide holster and the galco kodiak. Plus it looks like it would be in the way when carrying a pack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast