Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 2010 Caribou Ideas??

  1. #1
    Member B&C 04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South for Now
    Posts
    436

    Default 2010 Caribou Ideas??

    Well, been hammering around the idea of finally doing a fly-in selfguided caribou hunt. Talked to several transporters/outfitters all in the 2000-3000$ range and all saying the usual "Got the best spot in world for caribou", looking for some facts based off of prior experiences. The plan is to leave the ol' Mulchatna herd alone and go further north. Any help or contacts would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to be booked by end of Jan..Thanks in advance...

  2. #2

    Thumbs up

    You have still got a few days left to apply for the Nelchina Herd Tier I Hunt. If you are looking for a B&C Bull, that is the best info I have to offer. You can measure and photo it before cutting the antlers, but at least you will know of your accomplishment.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    If you're looking for a fly-in, your best options are likely going to be either the Western Arctic Caribou Herd out of Kotzebue or Bettles or the Central Arctic Herd out of Coldfoot or Happy Valley. Either herd and either of the four locations should provide you with ample opportunity to have a great hunt. Use the advanced search function here and do some reading on both options - you'll find lots has been written here about experiences over the past few years.

    Good luck in your planning!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks Ak
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Hi,
    I guess I should introduce myself, My Name is Jeff Kruse. I live in Fairbanks, having been here since 1992. I own a part 135 air taxi service. I will be based out of Chandalar shelf this season, doing fly-out hunts for Caribou, sheep, moose and grizzly. I will have a super cub based up there most of the summer. We can also do float trips if you are interested.
    Let me know if I can be of any service.
    Thank you
    Jeff Kruse
    Bushwhacker Air
    907-458-8515

  5. #5
    Member AK Wonderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    717

    Default

    A partner and I had a great hunt flying out of Bettles with Brooks Range Aviation. Bettles Lodge also does drop hunts and was well liked by the hunters I talked to in Bettles.

    Bettles offers a nice relaxing departure point with out some of the hassle associated with Kotzebue. Fewer hunters heading into the Western Arctic Herd from this side of the Brooks Range. Still great numbers of caribou, along with bears and wolves.

    I have the 2009 information and pricing sheets for both Brooks Range Aviation and Bettles Lodge if your interested in Bettles, just shoot me a pm with an email address and I can forward it over.

  6. #6
    Member B&C 04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South for Now
    Posts
    436

    Post

    Thanks for the replies/PM's and I'll be giving you a hollar later this week Jeff.
    Thanks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •