Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Jay Hudson-R I P

  1. #1

    Default Jay Hudson-R I P

    Jay passed recently.Thought some of of you would like to know.

  2. #2
    Member mit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Jay passed recently.Thought some of of you would like to know.

    Thanks, He was one of the last of the bush pilots.........
    Tim

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Semi-retired in Florida
    Posts
    483

    Default Grizzly 1

    Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Jay passed recently.Thought some of of you would like to know.
    I knew Jay. Knew his father quite well, too. Doug Geeting used to fly for Hudson before Jay climbed aboard. Jay's father flew out of Talkeetna for about a thousand years and, as far as I knew, never had a real bush mishap. A good, thoughtful pilot. Unlike his competition, Don Sheldon, who must have gone through more than a dozen aircraft in his twenty years there.

    Jay wasn't old enough to have gone west of old age. Can someone tell me what caused his death? While we weren't close, we were friends. I certainly mourn his passing. Very sad news. And - - - yes - - - Jay was one of the real "bush pilots."

    With regret,

    Mort Mason

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 1 View Post
    I knew Jay. Knew his father quite well, too. Doug Geeting used to fly for Hudson before Jay climbed aboard. Jay's father flew out of Talkeetna for about a thousand years and, as far as I knew, never had a real bush mishap. A good, thoughtful pilot. Unlike his competition, Don Sheldon, who must have gone through more than a dozen aircraft in his twenty years there.

    Jay wasn't old enough to have gone west of old age. Can someone tell me what caused his death? While we weren't close, we were friends. I certainly mourn his passing. Very sad news. And - - - yes - - - Jay was one of the real "bush pilots."

    With regret,

    Mort Mason
    pancreatic cancer is what I was told. I think it was fairly sudden.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Anchorage Daily News has the obituary

  6. #6
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  7. #7
    Member mit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    702

    Default

    I was thinking it was his Dad, Cliff......
    Tim

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    I was thinking it was his Dad, Cliff......
    Cliff is fine but has suffered from Alzheimer's for some time. That man has some stories. The family put together a nice DVD on his career you can pick up at the Hudson air office.

  9. #9
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Jay was too young to go. It's really a bummer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  10. #10
    Member chriso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    810

    Default I'll miss him..

    He sure was good to me and my family...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Semi-retired in Florida
    Posts
    483

    Default Grizzly 1

    Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Cliff is fine but has suffered from Alzheimer's for some time. That man has some stories. The family put together a nice DVD on his career you can pick up at the Hudson air office.
    Indeed the man does have some stories! Can anyone give me the contact information for that DVD? I'll appreciate it!

    Mort

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 1 View Post
    Indeed the man does have some stories! Can anyone give me the contact information for that DVD? I'll appreciate it!

    Mort
    I got mine at the Hudson air office about a year and a half ago- I don't know that it was distributed elsewhere. Try them at 907-733-2321 and see if they can mail one.
    Cliff doesn't actually appear on the DVD-I think the Alzheimer's was too advanced at the time it was made but there is a recording of a interview he had given a radio station years past. It mostly consists of interviews with long time locals on his exploits during his flying years. I hope they can provide you a copy-I found it fascinating.

    Conspicuously absent is any mention of Don Sheldon. I think that feud ran pretty deep.

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default Hudson Air

    Thanks Jay, For paving the way for Alaska Back country aviation and for a great Air Service, and all the great adventures. May you rest in peace with all of the finest bush pilots that have gone before you. Thanks again!.......Chuck

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Semi-retired in Florida
    Posts
    483

    Default Grizzly 1

    Thanks, MIT, got it! I appreciate your response.

    Low and slow,

    Mort

  16. #16
    Member alaskabushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    I presently live and work close to Lake Clark
    Posts
    150

    Default Cliff, Jay and Don

    Man! That is going to be one hell of a meeting up there.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Semi-retired in Florida
    Posts
    483

    Default Grizzly 1

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushrat View Post
    Man! That is going to be one hell of a meeting up there.

    Yeah - - - - - but I bet Cliff won't arrive with a bent airplane!

  18. #18

    Default

    Cliff just passed.I have no detail's but he was 84 and had Alzheimer's RIP.

  19. #19
    Member Wyatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    PAQ
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Cliff was as good as it gets...as a pilot and person! R.I.P. father and son!

  20. #20
    Member mit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Sorry to hear that..............
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •