Thread: Bullet Sizers

Default Bullet Sizers

I am ready to start casting my own bullets and would like to know what your opinions are as to which bullet sizer you have used, what you think is best and why.
    Lyman 4500, RCBS Lub-a-matic, or the Saeco Lubri-Sizer

Default Lube sizer

I've used them all and the Saeco is the best hands down for the majority of large lube / sizing tasks like bulk pistol bullets.

The old Lyman 45 isn't bad for occasional use of odd ball stuff as the dies and punches are relatively cheap. Once you use the Saeco though the Lyman and RCBS feel kinda junky and ackward.

For experientation and determining the best diameters etc. the simple Lee push die thru gets the job done. I apply my lube by hand with a small flat blade when I use the Lee unit.

For lube the old Alox/beeswax is hard to beat. If you use one of the harder lubes you will need a heater for the lube reservior of the sizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    I am ready to start casting my own bullets and would like to know what your opinions are as to which bullet sizer you have used, what you think is best and why.
    Lyman 4500, RCBS Lub-a-matic, or the Saeco Lubri-Sizer
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I've used them all and the Saeco is the best hands down for the majority of large lube / sizing tasks like bulk pistol bullets.

The old Lyman 45 isn't bad for occasional use of odd ball stuff as the dies and punches are relatively cheap. Once you use the Saeco though the Lyman and RCBS feel kinda junky and ackward.

For experientation and determining the best diameters etc. the simple Lee push die thru gets the job done. I apply my lube by hand with a small flat blade when I use the Lee unit.

For lube the old Alox/beeswax is hard to beat. If you use one of the harder lubes you will need a heater for the lube reservior of the sizer.
    The sizing dies for the Lee seem to be very limited and so I have steered away from it. Take for example a .458 bullet, it seems odd to me that Lee only offers a .457 sizing die. My .450 Marlin loves .459 hard cast, why don't they have one when everyone else does?

This is what I have. Well this is an updated version of what I use. I have the star but this is prety much the same thing. Works great.

http://magmaengineering.com/products...tar-lube-sizer

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    The sizing dies for the Lee seem to be very limited and so I have steered away from it. Take for example a .458 bullet, it seems odd to me that Lee only offers a .457 sizing die. My .450 Marlin loves .459 hard cast, why don't they have one when everyone else does?

That's also one of my peeves about Lee. Not only are their die sizes limited, but seems like half of their 458 bullet moulds cast bullets to .457, right from the mould. Kinda hard to size to .459 (what my Marlin also likes) when a bullet is already .457. Makes you wonder if any of their engineers do any actual reloading and shooting...

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Lee only makes a few "std" size dies but they will custom cut you what ever you want for a few dollars more. I have the lyman 45,450 and an rcbs. The rcbs is the strongest but there is no real difference in them. There are other sizers that are much faster (Star) but they are a lot more expensive as are the dies. And yes, lee molds are noted for not being big enough. It's easy to size down a couple of thousands but a lot harder to expand them.

Default sizing

You can hone out the Lee dies a few thousands without much problem but molds casting too small is a bit harder to overcome. As cheap as the Lee molds are though I'd trying lapping the mold out to .459 with a bullet and some very fine valve grinding compound. If they won't work as is you don't have much to lose.

The concept of bullets molded to the needed diameter is great as sizing is detremental to accuracy but undersizied bullets are just as bad or worse. It seems all the .45-70 barrels seem to be a bit large so .457 just isn't correct - most molds drop .bullets at least 458 or .459 depending on the alloy etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall/Ak View Post
    That's also one of my peeves about Lee. Not only are their die sizes limited, but seems like half of their 458 bullet moulds cast bullets to .457, right from the mould. Kinda hard to size to .459 (what my Marlin also likes) when a bullet is already .457. Makes you wonder if any of their engineers do any actual reloading and shooting...

Marshall/Ak
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I use an old lyman sizer, as I got a good deal on it, and a good deal on various sizers.

But, a buddy let me borrow his star sizer, and it is hands down the best sizer out there. If you're going to size large quantities of bullets, it would be well worth just biting the bullet and getting the star. As to why the star is the best, it sizes nose first, and bullets are pushed all the way through the sizer so it's a single stroke vs. most sizers where you line up the bullet, down stroke to size, up stroke to remove.

Default star

Quote Originally Posted by Hewey 260 View Post
    This is what I have. Well this is an updated version of what I use. I have the star but this is prety much the same thing. Works great.

http://magmaengineering.com/products...tar-lube-sizer
    I like the Star, I have had all three of the others.
    Ebay has used ones allof the time.
    Money well spent, and if you decide to sell, retains value so far.

Default Star sizer

The Star is the top of the line for sizing bullets in large quanities esp. for commercial operators. They are somewhat less flexiable and expensive to supply with dies etc. - probably not the best choice for a beginner that wants to experiment and load a variety of sizes and weights of rifle and pistol bullets. Also - does the Star do gas checks? - it isn't clear in their manual.

A used Lyman 45 or 450 is a inexpensive way to get going - I've got several of them. I pick up dies and punches off and on at the gun shows when I find them. I got the Saeco used also with a variety of sizing dies - for the non-commerical reloader that wants a lot of flexiability it is unbeatable. I have dies for it in my more popular caliibers like .311, 358, 430, .452 etc. I do keep my Lyman around for some odd ball stuff like the .43 Spanish for which I don't have the Saeco dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I use an old lyman sizer, as I got a good deal on it, and a good deal on various sizers.

But, a buddy let me borrow his star sizer, and it is hands down the best sizer out there. If you're going to size large quantities of bullets, it would be well worth just biting the bullet and getting the star. As to why the star is the best, it sizes nose first, and bullets are pushed all the way through the sizer so it's a single stroke vs. most sizers where you line up the bullet, down stroke to size, up stroke to remove.

There is a guy on the Cast Boolits forum
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php
    called Buckshot that makes custom sized Lee type sizing dies for $22.00 + shipping.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

[QUOTE=tvfinak;633109]- does the Star do gas checks? - it isn't clear in their manual.

Yes the Star does gas checks.

Well this is a little late but I need to say this about the original question, the best is hands down the Star. I have the turbo model made by Magma engineering and compared to the other makes I've had there is just no comparison. Yes the main objection is the price, but you don't get the best for free. The heated base is worth the price and the speed of operation is the real seller for me. The auto feed is the only thing I think is a draw back. If you want to do 1200 bullets and hour it's the only way to go.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I have a Seco as well and i love it!