Thread: Looking for Gunsmith in Fairbanks

Default Looking for Gunsmith in Fairbanks

I was hoping to get some opinions from folks on here about finding a competent Gunsmith to rebarrel a Savage 110 for me. I have cruised around the various shops and have been quoted a couple prices. One seemed pretty fair the other was outrageous. It is a pretty simple job, I just want to Rebarrel my savage 110 with an aftermarket stainless barrel.

Sidenote, when rebarreling do you guys think it is important to lapp the lugs? Anything else I should have done while it is apart. Yes, I know it is a savage but it was my first gun and it has always been a shooter but do to an unfortunate accident I have major pitted rust on the barrel, and for someone who takes A+ care of their guns, it is more than I can bare to look at. Any suggestions on where to go?

If it still shoots fine and only the outside is affected you might consider having the barrel refinished after beadblasting.

Yup; no need to rebarrel, unless the rust is inside and affects accuracy. Might take a little doing to get rid of it all, but the bead blasting/ re bluing will work. I prefer a Teflon or Polymer coat to bluing though. Had a couple guns done by Gary Junk at Arctic Gunworks a few years back. His Arctic Kote has held up pretty well for several years now.

http://www.arcticgunworks.com/main_p...rctic_kote.htm

I've had good luck at Arctic Gunworks. Once you get past the sometimes "blustery" exterior, Gary is a pretty decent guy.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Another vote for Gary @ Arctic Gun Works. He's got his opinions, but he does a heck of a job on rifles. Matter of fact, I wish I was still in Fairbanks so I could have him tune up another rifle of mine.

I would vote no to him based on experience. Only a PM will give details.

you may not know it but savage rifles are very easy to change brls. all you need is a brl nut wrench and action blocks to hold the action. Plus a set of go, nogo gauges for setting head space. A total of maybe $100.00 worth of tools and $ 100.00 or so for a new factory brl. If you have a long action rifle now you can change brls. from a 223 rem to a 338 wm and everything in between,also changing the magazine and the bolt face which are also easy to change with practice. Go to www.savageshooter.com for all the info you will need.

45north

Default Savage Rebarrel

Just noticed this post, I have the tools to rebarrel a Savage if you would like to borrow them. Its a pretty simple operation and I can give you a walk through if you would like.