Thread: chandalar river north fork

Default chandalar river north fork

Has anyone floated the north fork of the chandalar - is this river very deep, swift, etc.
    What is the best time of the summer to float and how is the fishing.

Default Chandalar Lake to Venetie

It has been many years since I've floated this stretch of river. Beautiful float... mixed scenery... some drop/pool sections of whitewatyer through forested sections... Good kayaking and rafting river that is not too demanding, yet does have some pretty cool drop/pool character in portions of the float having more gradient. Good Camping --- not all that good fishing. You can most certainly find gold and still see the natural history of prospecting. I would not call it a great trip for float hunting or sportfishing... however an outstanding choice for a true wilderness solitude float --- no people, with straightforward logistics.

Summer to early fall would be best.

Depending on group size... I'd recommend 14'-15' Self-bailing rafts, 16'-18' Catarafts, or high-quality inflatable kayaks... I would not suggest canoes for this float as primary boat.

I floated a good portion of the North Fork a few years back and it was an easy float and very relaxing but, that can change from year to year. We saw plenty of game and I considered it a pretty decent place to hunt. Got a nice moose and almost got a nice grizzly but he gave us the slip. Take a small flyrod and some flies because there are some grayling in that river. Like Brian R said, I wouldn't do this soley for the purpose of fishing as the fishing wasn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I floated a good portion of the North Fork a few years back and it was an easy float and very relaxing but, that can change from year to year. We saw plenty of game and I considered it a pretty decent place to hunt. Got a nice moose and almost got a nice grizzly but he gave us the slip. Take a small flyrod and some flies because there are some grayling in that river. Like Brian R said, I wouldn't do this soley for the purpose of fishing as the fishing wasn't that great.
    AKHUNTER is right on --- have seen some nice moose with griz and black bear.

I think tho' AKHUNTER would agree it is a see 'em when ya see 'em river for animals (while no walk in the park lazy person's hunt) does not pay toward game viewing ops to beat the bush on foot off stream too much. I know you where not quite addressing an inquiry w/ regards to hunting, however fishing for a little shore lunch/supper is about the sportfishing... fun past-time for Arctic Grayling for the most part - that I really enjoy. There are some pool drops and things on-water to look out for... but in general not a super demanding float by raft concerning hazards and suchlike.

Default north fork chandalar

Thanks for the information. Sounds like an interesting trip

Default The NF is more like dragging your raft very shallow very rocky for the first 15 miles

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Has anyone floated the north fork of the chandalar - is this river very deep, swift, etc.
    What is the best time of the summer to float and how is the fishing.
    The Nf River is more like dragging than floating the first fifteen miles are very shallow and rocky bring lots of patches for the raft. gets better
    after that Ok greyling fishing.

Hi

I think you will find some pictures on this (german) page;

http://www.angelfire.com/de/kanualas...naflorian.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/de/kanualaska/markusheiko.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/de/kanualas...r_bericht.html

They started all at the Chandalar shelf.

Best regards,

Stefan

jws, it is a beautiful river.....I've boated up into a canyon on the North Fork with my flat bottom 40 hp short shaft Yamaha many yrs. back.....just exploring. Turned around and idled down, taking note with my GPS for every mile I was descending about a 1000ft per mile if my GPS was not exagerating. When you head down the North you will meet up with the middle fork it slows down quite abit. The trip even for me was grand....lots of moose sign and lots of bear sign as well.

What I take and what I see is solely based on "subsistence" as I live and have married into the people of Venetie. Lived here since 83'....I do alot of grayling fishing throu out this river and it can be very very good....I use a ultra light spin rig with #0 red/whites on a 4# test.

I love to hunt up in the forks whether it be moose or grizz....your raft trip will require some patches surely, many huge chunks of rock in the shallows up your startin way. If you come on down...stop in here and I'll offer up some French roast and help you load up if you choose to head south from here via Wright Air Service.

best regards,

If I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. That was probably one of the most peaceful float hunts I have ever done. When we floated by the area that was close to Venetie, my partner and I got a little worried as I had heard some horror stories from previous float trips. Glad to see that their stories were porbably just that with grizz106's invite. We were picked up by Wrights about 10 or so miles downstream from there.