Thread: Unit 22E Musk Ox Opportunities

Default Unit 22E Musk Ox Opportunities

There was some discussion of the difficulty of a DIY hunt in 22E in my last Ox thread. Just wanted to make sure the listening audience has the latest info. There is a new food service business in Shishmaref. Lodging facilities are available also. This is the best hunt area for unit 22, as there are plenty of Ox. The harvest for the registration hunt is always far under the quota.
    While this is definately a remote area, your hunt will mostly be dependant upon the weather. Maps and a reliable GPS (that you are familiar with) will be a big factor in success.
    PM me if you want info on who to contact there.
    Unlike the Nome area hunt, that will mostly be over a couple weeks after Jan 1, the 22E hunt will be open till the end of the season, Mar 15.
    Oh, I don't do business in this area so I receive no benefit from this post.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

What's the best way to get to Shish?

Alaska Air or Frontier Flying to Nome. Then Frontier/Hageland or Bering Air to Shish.

I heard they are getting a bit more NASTY with destroying the trophy value of the horns this year? Not just lopping off a few inches of horn tip. Do have any info on exactly what F&G is doing to destroy the trophy value or is what I heard a bunch of bunk?

There is a photo in the reg book of the new destruction level. Might be one on line as well. I'm not sure. The cut will now be made at eye level.

Default peices

do you get both or all the parts once you cut em? Are you able to bring materials and make a mold of the origionals before hand, then you can cast a set and have repro's to use later..

Default Parts

Fish and Game keeps what they cut off the horns. You get the skull and what's left of the horns.