Thread: marlin xl7

Default marlin xl7

hello. ive been looking at the marlin xl7 to purchase for a friend. anybody have any experience with this weapon. good or bad?
    NRA life Member JVJ

Default I've had some...

At present, I own two, one XL7 in .30-06, and an XS7 in .308. The .308 shoots right around 1/2 inch with my favorite all-around 165 gr. load. The '06 is about a 1 1/2" gun, but I fixed a problem that may tighten that up a bit, but, alas, I've not made it to the range with that rifle since then.
    There IS one problem that I see with the rifles...if you tighten the rear action screw as tight as I like, it'll split the 'plastic' trigger guard, and leaves the rear of the action 'floating'. I relieved some of the material off the guard, drilled it through, then put a washer over the bottom of the rear pillar, shortened the action screw, and cinched 'er down. The front guard screw will hold it in place, but I'm going to epoxy the thing into the stock if the 'fix' works out. A fella here in town is supposed to be making a steel guard for me, but I ain't seen it yet.
    The trigger in my rifles are beautiful little things. Adjustable down to around 2 3/4 pounds in my guns, with no overtravel and break like a target trigger. I don't know how they'll react to moisture invasion and freezing temps, though.
    Nice little rifles that cannot be beat for the price.

I borrowed a Marlin in 30/06 and the factory installed scope from a local dealer to try. It was a used gun. The accuracy was impressive and the action worked smoothly. Three shot groups were around 1 inch or a bit less on the firing range. This Marlin rifle is probably one of the best buys out there when you consider what you get for the price. I would recommend them.

THats good to hear. I think I will pick one up. 3006 will be the caliber. I appreciate the feedback.
    NRA life Member JVJ

The Marlins are great values. I have shot several and each proved to be a good gun with pretty darn good accuracy and awesome triggers. I do wish they had better bottom metal and have heard that Williams will be offering a replacement in the near future. Williams makes the best metal parts in the business.

I will be adding one to my collection permantly here soon in .308.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Apparently some people are using others' triggerguards modified slightly to fit

And another:

More info on it here

Darreld, have you seen any of this aftermarket triggerguard work?

Default Ya know...

it never occured to me (in my current rather dulled state of mind) to do that to mine!
    Would solve the problem nicely, and the Model 70 adaptation is VERY interesting, as I have an assembly waiting for a project that never seems to materialize.

Well, keep us updated!!