Thread: Barrel question here?

Default Barrel question here?

I picked up a stainless 300 win mag barrel today at a gun show. The seller told me who made the barrel and I don't remember for sure. I think he said Snyder or maybe Gary Snyder? Anybody heard of this guy and if so what have you heard? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    I picked up a stainless 300 win mag barrel today at a gun show. The seller told me who made the barrel and I don't remember for sure. I think he said Snyder or maybe Gary Snyder? Anybody heard of this guy and if so what have you heard? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Was it "Schneider" ????

Was it "Krieger" ????

Was it one of those in the list below????

Rock Creek Barrels
    Obermeyer Barrels
    Shilen Barrels
    Hart Rifle Barrels
    Lilja Barrels
    Pac-Nor Barrels
    Krieger Barrels
    Lothar Walther Barrels
    Spencer Rifle Barrels
    Broughton Rifle Barrels
    Douglas Barrels
    Bullberry Barrel Works
    Blackstar Barrels
    Schneider Barrels
    Wiseman Barrels
    Christensen Arms Barrels - doesn't really make barrels
    Lawton Rifle Barrels
    Classic Barrels and Gunworks-Dan Pedersen Cut Rifled Barrels
    Gaillard Barrels
    E.R. Shaw Barrels
    Kostyshyn & Barwick Precision Barrels
    Butler Creek Barrels
    Volquartzen Barrels
    Badger Barrels
    Border Barrels
    Sarco M16 Barrels
    Montana Rifleman Barrels
    VanHorn Barrels
    Fred Zeglin Barrels
    Z-Hat Rebore Barrels - doesn't really make barrels
    Green Mountain Barrels

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Yup

I remembered better last nite, Gary Schneider, is what it is supposed to be. Are these a high quality barrel. Thanks Smitty.

Gary Schneider makes some of the best custom barrels available. They come standard issue on the T2K and many top NMC shooters use them as well.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Default Thats good

It sounds like I picked up a good barrel then. Thanks for the info.

Default Here is

another question to add. I can't find a mark of any kind on the barrel. Wouldn't there be some sort of marking on it, if it were a Schneider? Or is it possible it came from Schneider as a blank?

Custom barrel markers stamp markings on the chamber end of blanks and these marks are machined off during fitting and installation. It's up to the installer to mark the barrel with any information required, like caliber chambered for, the gunsmiths name, owners name, etc.

If Gary Schneider had installed it no doubt it would at least be marked with the caliber it's chambered for, it's the law and he being a competent gunsmith he knows it. All other markings are optional.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by KClark View Post
    Custom barrel markers stamp markings on the chamber end of blanks and these marks are machined off during fitting and installation. It's up to the installer to mark the barrel with any information required, like caliber chambered for, the gunsmiths name, owners name, etc.

If Gary Schneider had installed it no doubt it would at least be marked with the caliber it's chambered for, it's the law and he being a competent gunsmith he knows it. All other markings are optional.
    Okay kind oaf a dumb question but only cause i never thought of it until iread your post...

WHAT ABOUT ser#'s???? aren't they Supposed to be on there? wht happens if you remove one or part of one?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Serial Nos.

The only part of the gun that must have serial no. is the receiver or frame - the legal "firearm" by defintion.

Some military and commerical manufacturers put the serial no. on the barrel also but I don't recall ever seeing a gunsmith mark the barrel with the serial no. of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Okay kind oaf a dumb question but only cause i never thought of it until iread your post...

WHAT ABOUT ser#'s???? aren't they Supposed to be on there? wht happens if you remove one or part of one?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Any

markings must have been machined off during installation then, this barrel came off of a Remington, 700 I presume. I guess with no markings all I can do is take the guys word for what it is.

Probably bought by a hobbiest gunsmith, machined it himself for his rifle, and didn't bother to stamp it. I'd have a cast made of the chamber before I did much with it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem