Thread: Reliable brand of in-boat VHF???

Default Reliable brand of in-boat VHF???

All,

I am looking to buy a VHF for my father's new boat for Christmas? Recommendations please.

Gusto

Default Icom

Icom makes one of the best radios on the market. Mine will trans my position via GPS cordinates to the CG when you make a mayday call. Great radio, you need the best you can buy. When you need it, it could mean your life.
    here is a link to thier web site. Can be bought cheaper at other online retailers.
    http://www.icomamerica.com/products/marine/m422/
    Good luck and Happy Holidays
    Steve

I second Icom, they have the best reputation.
    Tennessee

Talking Wham

I got a Uniden Polaris because I wanted a wireless handheld to go with it (WHAM) cost me additional $100 but I love using my wireless VHF while fishing so I don't have to go to the cabin to respond.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default VHF radio

Gusto:
    There are lots of good marine VHF radios on the market; fixed mount radios are higher powered (25 watts) compared to handhelds (generally 5 watts) which translates into better communications. What may be even more important than the brand of radio is the quality and db-rating of the antenna. Too many times we see a high quality radio with a cheap antenna and poor installations which results in poor performance. Get a good antenna and even a mediocre radio will work well; get a bad antenna and the best radio isn't going to do what you need. If you have more questions, I'd be happy to talk to you about it! Mike