Thread: Stacking poles on a downrigger

Default Stacking poles on a downrigger

Can anyone recommend a good device to use when stacking 2 (or more) poles on a downrigger?

I have Cannon Uni-Troll downriggers. I see that they have what looks like a simple clip-on stacker, their Quick Stack, but I'm wondering if there's a better product out there...

Thanks.

Thumbs up Stacker clips

I've been using the Cannon clips that you mentioned. Don't use them alot, but have, off and on for over 20 years without any problems.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    I've been using the Cannon clips that you mentioned. Don't use them alot, but have, off and on for over 20 years without any problems.
    Me Too, work like a charm. Haven't found anything better.
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

I find using the extra clips is a sure way to have a double hook up and then lose at least one of them due to the confusion. We finally settled on alternating between the two downriggers and taking turns if there are a lot of people on the boat. Seriously, extra clips work well if everybody is an experienced fisherperson. Good luck if you have new people that haven't fished for King Salmon.

Default Scotty clips

We like the Scotty clips on the little long line snaps. They are simple to attach whereever you want to and easy to store. The releases seem more dependable than the cannons and more versitle since they attach anywhere you want to stack um. 10, 20 , 30 feet apart.

You might want to check out this article by Bob Franko from the Bay Area. He is one of the best salmon trollers around, anywhere:

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/...on-Downriggers

Default Good advice

Thanks guys, and especially AKCAPT. Bob Franko article was a good read. I will need to study it some more over the winter.....

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

That was an interesting article I read things that I learned the hard way. I usually run a ball that has 2 eyes one that connects the DR cable and one in the rear of the ball I always hook my bottom rig to a release connected to that back eye you never have a problem pulling the line out of the release that way. I have some metal clips that snap on the line but they will sometimes make it hard to pull the line out of the release if you set it very tight.

Another thing I do is I use tooth picks on the line at the release. I wrap the line around the tooth pick about 5 times and then put the tooth pick in the release. This is the only way I have found to hold braided line in a release.

Mike

Default Stacking baits

I stack almost everyday trolling for Salmon, I use Scotty power grips.
    I use a 10lb ball and use the rear eye for my flasher, 18" up I clip on a 24" power grip, 5' up I clip on a 48" power grip. Bottom setup the rod is facing rearward, upper is 90 degrees out the side. Since I troll shallow for Spring Kings (18-36 feet) I want the baits as close together as possible without tangles as this often results in doubles. The weight being the lowest helps keep the lines clear if you bump bottom.
    Thats how I do it, hopes this helps.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Scotty stacker release

Frank / Andy-
    Is this the Scotty release you guys use? The clip looks like the kind used in halibut long lining. These work well when you snap them on the downrigger cable and there's no slippage?

Default Thats it

That is the one. You can choose what length you want. I like the long ones so you can clip them on with the lead ball in the water all the time. I run one the distance from the ball in the water to the rail so the ball stay in the water. It won't beat on the boat that way. Then I will stack one ten or fifteen or twenty feet up. I like hardware on the deeper one so it will keep fishing even if the higher one gets bit. Sometimes herring get bit and mangled and they stop being attractive to the salmon. The hardware, hootchie, spoon, plug just keeps fishing.

Default Stacker

I've used both Scotty releases and prefer this model, its non adjustable, but if you want more tension you just put the line in a little deeper.
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...&ci_sku=261949
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Charterboat Operator

I use the same clips as Frank,
    didn't read the article by Bob Franko, but will throw out my .02.
    One thing you will want to do is run you deepest line the shortest distance back from the boat, then your next line out a little farther, if you are stacking 3 make the top line even farther. I have found that by doing the opposite ( lowest line out the farthest) the potential for tangled lines DEFINITLY increases.
    I fish like Frank, 18-40 feet on a regular basis, so usually will stack only 2 lines per downrigger.
    Hope that helps.

PB