Thread: kongakut river float

Default kongakut river float

What style of raft would you'll recommend for a float hunt on the kongakut river:

1. four people
    2. sheep hunting (ie. light gear)
    3. two rafts vs. one (what size 12' vs. 13'/14')
    4. canoe or self bailing whitewater
    5. pvc build vs. hypalon
    6. safest build style
    7. brands

thanks for any input you might have.

shane

Two 14' round boats with rowing frames and oars.

If no experience with rowing, I would consider two SOAR Pro Pioneer inflattable canoes.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Some recommendations for your float hunt

I generally agree with Dan on this question. If you were moose hunting I would have a different answer, but sheep hunting with light gear-- you should be fine with two 14' round boats.

My first choice would be SOTAR. You can rent them (yes!) from Jerry Sisemore at Alaska Downstream. Jerry is a class act, and will take good care of you. His rates are very reasonable. I would recommend a bailer, from the comfort standpoint. You've got a very stable, insulated floor. If you're really trying to skimp on weight, you could consider a non-bailing boat. They have a greater load-bearing capacity, but you need a scoop to bail out water...

SOTAR is a plastic boat (polyurethane), and slides very well over wet rocks. Since you are sheep hunting, I assume you are going up high. This is where you run into shallow water, particularly in the Brooks where most of the rivers are fed from snowmelt and runoff. Water levels are typically low in the fall up there. At least, that's what you have to plan for...

As to the frames, I would recommend the NRS Longhorn or a similar style. I believe Jerry has those as well.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

You can also rent the Sotar rafts from Goo Vogt of Alaska Wildwater in Anchorage. Goo is a salt of the earth guy and sold me my Sotar. He is a Sotar rep in Alaska and will ship gear anywhere you need. Below is his contact info...

Alaska Wildwater
    Attn: Goo Vogt
    PO Box 110615
    Anchorage, AK 99511
    Ph 907-345-4308
    E-mail: sotaralaska@yahoo.com

From...

http://www.sotar.com/contact_page.htm
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.