Thread: Puttin' old traps back in service...?

Default Puttin' old traps back in service...?

I've got a pile of traps that have been in storage for about four to five years, last place they got some action was kodiak, so i sprayed with down with some wd40 when i get back to help combat the kodiak salt effect, we'll i've dug them out and am wirebrushing them down.
    question is, will boiling these things take the oil off? should i boil them several times? maybe with soap once? and then with some spruce needles?
    any tips on cleaning these things back up before the hit the trail again?

Default saltwater

You have to love what saltwater and sea air does to those metal traps. If they have rusted bad the best way I have found to deal with them is to wire brush them, then die and wax, or speed dip. You do need a bit of rust on them to get the die to stick well also. What I did this year was wire brushed some traps then let them get a thin coat of rust, then prepped them as usual.

Try soaking in diluted muriatic acid. Should take care of the rust and oil. Might take a few days to work.
    When removed from the acid, the traps will begin rusting again fairly quickly so they need some sort of treatment. Boiling in spruce bows will help I think. The black and brown speed dips are good too.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

thanks guys, i have a wire wheel on my drill that cleans them up pretty good but leaves them ruff textured so i think speed dip or wax should hold pretty well.
    ya salt waters great...geez. a sea lion farts on your trap and its rusted shut.