Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow, how fast is your sled?

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Wow, how fast is your sled?

Bought a 2006 Yamaha RS Rage this summer and took it out to Big Lake yesterday, 109 MPH, what a rush.

Ill tell you when i get man enough to floor mine....

Talking Too Fast!!!

Got a 2007 Yamaha Apex Attack. Been to 127mph. on Long Lake! And it still wanted to go! Scared the Poop-Poop out of me!!!! I am going to gear it down and take it to a 144 inch track.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

yall need to sutract about 20% for track slip and spin, for actual MPH at those speeds.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yep- Ive been to 103 mph on radar and the 120mph speedo was pegged. I was disapointed, but sno-go speedos are not very accurate. These days, with GPS, I checked my speedos and they are amost always 10 to 15% fast at 60mph.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Indicated 103 mph. on my 98 600 rmk, 2" 144, and I completely agree it is a rush. If it would go 150, i'd do it.

polaris widetrack (488 liquid cooled).....a WHOPPING 63 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    yall need to sutract about 20% for track slip and spin, for actual MPH at those speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Yep- Ive been to 103 mph on radar and the 120mph speedo was pegged. I was disapointed, but sno-go speedos are not very accurate. These days, with GPS, I checked my speedos and they are amost always 10 to 15% fast at 60mph.
    Thank you guys. I've had this same conversation more times than I care to count with guys who say their sleds are faster than they really are.

I'm not one for top end speed anyway. I'll trade low end torque for top end speed anyday.

Mine will hit 80ish on firm snow, but like northriver, mine's geared low for deep powder and climbing

Bah! Modern high speed, low drag technology makes it too easy. You haven't lived until you've managed to hold onto a Kawasaki Drifter pegged out at 60mph for at least 8 seconds. Ah, the good ol' days.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default smokin!!

38 mph downhilll 99 tundra 300F

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    38 mph downhilll 99 tundra 300F
    I was told mine was just under 50.... downhill on a road. Non-GPS. 2007 Tundra 300F.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Bah! Modern high speed, low drag technology makes it too easy. You haven't lived until you've managed to hold onto a Kawasaki Drifter pegged out at 60mph for at least 8 seconds. Ah, the good ol' days.
    That's funny right there, but your right.
    1967 Caribou maybe goes 25mph, with about a 20" ski stance, it's a handful to ride.

Sitting on Ice and the speedo said 55mph, Sled was going about 10mph. It sucked real bad when the track grapped almost fell off the back. At the time I was dragging Ron on a borrowed Skidon't.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post

so true! when im doing 60 mph on my old arctic cat i feel like im gonna die any second!!!
    Semper Fi!

Default My daddy was a Cub pilot

When we told him he should get a bigger faster plane, he said, "Boys, there are folks that like to go fast and get there in style, and there are folks that like to go low and slow. I like to go low and slow.".
    I guess I speeded enough in my younger days on the old narrow Panthers and Cheetahs (good for a laugh, eh?). Now I just like to go slow and take longer looks at what's around me. I'll bet I could get 60-some mph out of my old machine, but I seldom go faster than 30. I once saw a bumper sticker that read: "Pass me now, you'll be walking later".

117 on my then '99 XCR-800.

75 on my '07 Arctic Cat Bearcat. Feels very light in the front and squirrely at that speed.

98 on my '97 Ultra SPX SE. I think it was due to the 8-toothed drivers and 2"x144" track. Geared way down, lotsa windmill drag.

75 on my '94 Sport GT
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Last edited by LuJon; 12-15-2009 at 23:10.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Seen 107 once on the speedo, which was hard to look at. Talk about flying, don't know if i'd do that again.

Default Kenairmk

There is a Caribou sitting in the foyer at Everts Air Cargo in Fairbanks. It has been worked on, but is clean and looks pretty original. It is the same sled the company owner had as a kid. We used to drive the dickens out of it, and were constantly stuck.
    My top speed? Not as fast as my sons. He was 2 years old sitting in that same buddies lap on a Mach Z built up to over 900 CC. Pretty sure they were close to 100. Nuts. Pure nuts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast