Thread: shippin' fish...

Default shippin' fish...

getting ready to share some AK bounty with the "lesser" 48. which shipping company has the best deals, in your experiences. any tricks besides dry ice and overnight for a successful trip?

This time of the year, I us Express Mail USPS. Much cheaper than Fed Ex or UPS. I just use the card board boxes with Styrofoam interior you can buy at the store. I wrap each piece with one sheet of news paper for added insulation and it also protects the vacuum sealed pack of fish from abrasion while shipping. I pack the box, seal it and put it in the freezer overnight. Take it to Post Road Post Office in Anchorage in the morning. Everything makes it to where I ship in Maine with no problem. I do let my folks know its comming and they go the Post Office in the Morning and pick it up instead of waiting till the end of the day for delivery. Never had a bad experience with them in the winter.

I just shipped 22# of fish to Arizona, via FED-EX. It made it there in just over 24hrs. to their doorstep, frozen solid, and cost $75.

hap

If you are lucky enough to be shipping to points reached by AK Air sign up to be a "Known Shipper" which is a PITA and costs $50... But ultimately worth it... And use them. The difference is especially huge if the packages are of size...

I usually ship about 100# to some folks in Billings, MT for less than $100. LA, CA, runs about $1.10/pound after about 30#. It requires airport pickup and some freight offices suck at calling upon arrival, but the transit time is short enough well-packaged stuff stays rock hard.
    art

Default Usps!!!!

I wrap my fish w/newspaper too.With USPS, you can pack up to five pounds of dry ice but the package has to be labeled with how much. Use a sharpie and just write 4lbs of dry ice on outside of package. If you wait till 3 days before christmas and mail it then, you probably will have your shipping paid for by uncle sam. If it says 48 hour garanteed, and gets there in 49 hours, they will reimburse you the shipping cost.
    In 25 years of sending fish and game to the East coast, I think I had to pay for it twice. I'm not screwing the government, I'm just making them keep their word.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Something that adds an extra day, maybe two is that if you use styrofoam liners or boxes, place them in a freezer for several days. Though its hard to find access to a walk in freezer, this time of year, just leave it outside.

For maximum effect, it takes at least a full day to get the core temperature of the styrofoam down enough. Makes a huge difference especially during the warmer months.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up no freebee's here

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    I wrap my fish w/newspaper too.With USPS, you can pack up to five pounds of dry ice but the package has to be labeled with how much. Use a sharpie and just write 4lbs of dry ice on outside of package. If you wait till 3 days before christmas and mail it then, you probably will have your shipping paid for by uncle sam. If it says 48 hour garanteed, and gets there in 49 hours, they will reimburse you the shipping cost.
    In 25 years of sending fish and game to the East coast, I think I had to pay for it twice. I'm not screwing the government, I'm just making them keep their word.

We'll get those dipnetting fees raised to off set the cost of that free shipping loop hole eh?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here