Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More precise sights for a Super Redhawk

Default More precise sights for a Super Redhawk

I would like to put open sights on my gun that cover less of my sight picture at 100 yards. The factory front sight covers my whole target. Ideally I'd like a sight that come to a point for the front sight or is very thin. I though about just filing the front sight down on the factory but then the rear sight would be very wide. I'll be hunting in PA with it so I don't need quick sight picture for defense or anything like that.

Thanks,
    Mike

Ruger makes an "Express Sight" set I believe that fits the SRH. It's a gold bead front with a shallow v notch rear. Might work for you.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thanks I'll check that out. Also wondering how much it would cost to have someone make up a custom front sight and new insert for the rear sight that would have give a tighter sight picture.

Thanks,
    Mike

I'll join the recommendation for the Express sights. I've used them for years on Redhawks, and have to guess they're suitable for the supers. The gold bead is tiny, and when you put it on top of the single white line on the rear, it's really precise for long range. It's the only sight I've ever felt was suitable for game at long range.

Here's a second trick that will really help. Sight in so the POI is at the top edge of the bead, rather than the middle. That way you can see your aiming point clearly without hiding it behind the bead. I can see, and sometimes even hit, soda cans at 100 yards with that kind of sighting, but if I was using the middle of the bead I couldn't even see the soda can. Piece of cake for long shots on something as big as a deer.

It looks like ruger may have discontinued the express sights. Anyone know of a source?

Thanks,
    Mike

"The older I get, the better I was."

Thanks but I was hoping to find the front bead too. Anyone know of a source for the Ruger sights?

Midway has a version with a large white dot front sight as well as an assortment of fiber optic front blades. I'm not so sure about that white front, but along with the rear blade from that set, one of the fiberoptics has real promise.

I would not suggest any sort of express type sights for precision handgun shooting. Look at what is being used in competition. Not one top IPSC, IDPA, NRA bullseye, or Bianchi Cup shooter is using express type sights. Not one. In addition, no major military special operations unit or police tactical team is employing them.

Mike, I would contact Hamilton Bowen at Bowen Classic Arms and tell him what you want to do. Hamilton has built several revolvers for me and he will be able to help. Just because he does not have an off the shelf part available does not mean that he can't fabricate something for you.

Just a thought, but why don't you adjust your sights so that the front blade is at the base of the target, and hence not totally covering it? Patridge sights are very accurate, the only change I'd make is replacing the front blade with the insert to a flat black verticle blade.

I think you'll find that by going to a small dot front sight that you'll be giving up accuracy.

I haven't shot the gun at 100 yds in awhile but when I did I always felt the front blade was too wide to really give good accuracy. From right to left on the target, it seemed the front blade covered about twenty inches. I would think for deer hunting I would rather have a narrow rear sight notch and a narrow front sight so that I could be more precise. Almost like rifle sights. I don't have much experience with longer range pistol shooting so I could be wrong on this. I may just scope the gun and be done with it but I'd really prefer to not do that especially because I have a perfect holster for the fun now.

Thanks,
    Mike

Enjoy it while you can boys. I give up on this a long time ago and went with Leupold. Got to the point where I could not see any open sights. I had a choice to make, scope it or forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Enjoy it while you can boys. I give up on this a long time ago and went with Leupold. Got to the point where I could not see any open sights. I had a choice to make, scope it or forget it.

I'm a red-dot guy now. Got tired of trying to hold my head right so I could clear things up with the bi-focals
    The red dot sight works well at the ranges I shoot, & is quick.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

XS has a set listed in there catalog.
    Big Dot or Standard Dot, Tritium or not .
    Part # for Standard non Tritium ---- RP-0003S-1.
    $60
    Catalog says gunsmithing required. You might call them and see what that means.
    Might be as simple as changing the rear blade.
    1-888-744-4880
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I ran into this same issue a couple years ago and like others my solution was the ruger express sights. Is it the most precise? No probably not. but last time out I hit a 6" steel plate consistently at 75 yards and was hitting chunks of ice way farther away than anything I would ever shoot while hunting.

Ever consider one of the newer holo sights, small and lite not very big compared to older red dot sights? If you do make sure you get a dot of 1" if you can. Here's a link just to see what I'm talking about.
    http://www.handgunhunt.com/readArticle.php?letter_id=58
    Steve

I had the Ruger express sights and they were wonderful for shooting the heads off of grouse. I've gone to the meprolite sights from Kimber. Really like them, especially in a tent at night.

Default Thanks also to Vance in AK

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'll join the recommendation for the Express sights. I've used them for years on Redhawks, and have to guess they're suitable for the supers. The gold bead is tiny, and when you put it on top of the single white line on the rear, it's really precise for long range. It's the only sight I've ever felt was suitable for game at long range.

Here's a second trick that will really help. Sight in so the POI is at the top edge of the bead, rather than the middle. That way you can see your aiming point clearly without hiding it behind the bead. I can see, and sometimes even hit, soda cans at 100 yards with that kind of sighting, but if I was using the middle of the bead I couldn't even see the soda can. Piece of cake for long shots on something as big as a deer.
    Yes, indeed, BrownBear and Vance in AK

My group sizes with the gold bead front and v-notch/white line rear sight (Express Sights) are about 20% to 30% tighter than wigh the standard sights.

Length of time to get a good sight picture is about 20% to 30% longer, but I suspect that is not due to any difficulty in getting the picture, but just the length of time it gets to achieve the mental concentration and to get the gun and my muscles settled down to the greater degree of accuracy the sights allow.

I would like to try a fiber-optic sight, especially in marginal light. But I also suspect if the light dot is too large, accuracy may suffer, though ability to shoot through greater darkness may increase as a trade-off.

Yes, go with the gold dot.

Lost Sheep

Just to reiterate - not one top competitive shooter, military special operations unit, or police tactical unit is using express type sights. I'm just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Just to reiterate - not one top competitive shooter, military special operations unit, or police tactical unit is using express type sights. I'm just sayin'.
    Thing is, we're not talking about putting them all in a teacup at 1Kyds. We're talking aboutputting one round in a deers vitals at 100yds max(according to the original post), in a timely manner, possibly in poor light conditions.
    I'm just saying...
    Vance in AK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast