Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Forum Etiquette

  1. #1

    Default Forum Etiquette

    I'm looking for feedback. I do that often. If mods feel I'm out of bounds, plse delete.

    My company offers a product I think many AK boaters could use. Like my company, I know AK outdoors needs to pay the bills. So, on that note, I inquired about becoming an advertiser/forum sponsor.

    Pam was quite nice and explained the forum policies. Since I'm located in the mid west, she noted my sponsorship would have to be approved by the higher ups.

    That got me to thinking...
    Do most forum users live in Alaska?
    If so, would you accept/welcome a sponsor from the lower 48?
    If your not an Alaska resident, where do you reside?

    Should competitors be restricted from discussing their products or services on a sponsored forum?

    Thx in advance for your replies...KT

  2. #2
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    I dont have a problem with posting an add as longs as the rules are followed. Most of the adds here are from people inside Alaska. But ha most alaskans have to order alot of items out of state anyway.

  3. #3
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    I prefer to make purchases locally, but there are some things that we buy from out of state vendors. I don't see a problem with it, especially if it is something that will help out AK boaters. Can you give us an idea of what you are marketing? A PM would be fine.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  4. #4
    Member Cliffhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Homer, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default My thoughts

    Do most forum users live in Alaska?
    I'M BETTING PAM CAN GIVE YOU THE DEMOGRAPHICS OF RESIDENT/NON-RESIDENT USERS. BUT MY BET IS THAT IT'S PROBABLY AT LEAST 3:1 RESIDENT .

    If so, would you accept/welcome a sponsor from the lower 48?
    IF YOU HAVE A PRODUCT THAT IS UNIQUE AND NEEDED I DON'T CARE WHAT STATE YOU'RE FROM.

    If your not an Alaska resident, where do you reside?
    N/A

    Should competitors be restricted from discussing their products or services on a sponsored forum?
    THAT HASN'T STOPPED ANYONE YET! ;-{)

  5. #5
    Member WalknBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    57

    Default Mostly AK

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Do most forum users live in Alaska?
    If your not an Alaska resident, where do you reside?
    Lived here most my life. Stationed here in the Army in 72. Been here ever since.

  6. #6
    Member jrogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,539

    Default

    If your product is relevant to Alaska boating, pleas post information on it here. Heck we were discussing changing the tie rods on someone's tow truck last week, so this seems well within the bounds. I have seen a lot of products discussed here, such as an anchoring product as well as a product to get rockfish back to the bottom. So, please tell us all what your product is.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

  7. #7
    Member Rod in Wasilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    um... Wasilla...
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    ... Heck we were discussing changing the tie rods on someone's tow truck last week, ...
    Yeah, well...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

  8. #8
    Member chriso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    810

    Default I'd love to see your boats Kevin...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Turner View Post
    I'm looking for feedback. I do that often. If mods feel I'm out of bounds, plse delete.

    My company offers a product I think many AK boaters could use. Like my company, I know AK outdoors needs to pay the bills. So, on that note, I inquired about becoming an advertiser/forum sponsor.

    Pam was quite nice and explained the forum policies. Since I'm located in the mid west, she noted my sponsorship would have to be approved by the higher ups.

    That got me to thinking...
    Do most forum users live in Alaska?
    If so, would you accept/welcome a sponsor from the lower 48?
    If your not an Alaska resident, where do you reside?

    Should competitors be restricted from discussing their products or services on a sponsored forum?

    Thx in advance for your replies...KT
    You make some very fine stuff... well suited for our waters. I think it's very decent of you to offer to sponser our site.

    Hows the family?

    Chris

  9. #9

    Default This came right from the front page of the website

    The Outdoors Supersite™ Network

    Outdoors Supersite is a network of sites covering the outdoors in Alaska, Colorado and Montana. You are currently on the Alaska site. Here are the links to the other states in the network:

    Colorado and Montana


    What's new on OutdoorsDirectory.com

    Doesn't sound like this site or it's management is exclusive to Alaska

    Tom

  10. #10
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    The Outdoors Supersite™ Network

    Outdoors Supersite is a network of sites covering the outdoors in Alaska, Colorado and Montana. You are currently on the Alaska site. Here are the links to the other states in the network:

    Colorado and Montana


    What's new on OutdoorsDirectory.com

    Doesn't sound like this site or it's management is exclusive to Alaska

    Tom
    Tom; Michael Strahan is the owner of THIS site, he lives in the south central region.. Icebear ( pam) is the delta address on top of the page. the montana and colorado sites as i understand are sepratly owned by folks in those states. there used to be tabs on top of the pages to jump between them all easy enough..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  11. #11
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Sponsors are neccescary and I have no problem with out of state sponsors, particuarily so if its outdoor related products.
    I do not care for some sponsors, I made the mistake to click on the weightloss link last week.
    You know the one, yeah, the caricature of the gal in the bikini losing weight before your very eyes, white bikini last week, black this week......What ever you do, dont go there, I couldnt get away from the site and then I started to get spam on my computer from them............
    What a crock of you know what............
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  12. #12
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Turner View Post
    I'm looking for feedback. I do that often. If mods feel I'm out of bounds, plse delete.

    My company offers a product I think many AK boaters could use. Like my company, I know AK outdoors needs to pay the bills. So, on that note, I inquired about becoming an advertiser/forum sponsor.

    Pam was quite nice and explained the forum policies. Since I'm located in the mid west, she noted my sponsorship would have to be approved by the higher ups.

    That got me to thinking...
    Do most forum users live in Alaska?
    If so, would you accept/welcome a sponsor from the lower 48?
    If your not an Alaska resident, where do you reside?

    Should competitors be restricted from discussing their products or services on a sponsored forum?

    Thx in advance for your replies...KT
    first i think these type of issues should be dwelt with between the owner and the advertiser... my own add is in the global discussion, and it took me nearly 4 months to get the previous owner to allow it's placement. due to the the nature of my business.. but believe it or not... beer, guns, ATVs, trucks, and DWI all seem to be synonymous here in AK each September....

    Alaska Air line is a advertiser here, they are based out of seattle.... if you have a WORTH while product that is necessary up here fine.. haggle away and get on board.. but your posting seems to be that of a jilted lower 48er that did not get their way. thus the cloak and dagger.

    i would bet that 90+% of this forum is Alaska Resident or Alaskan deployed military.. that would honestly welcome any advertiser. however, you are also asking them to pick another company over one they know and or trust with limited information. ... now i know you at this time are not divulging your product out of courtesy by not advertising. and you know it would be deleted if you were too...

    so heres the deal.. PM Michael Strahan.. and talk to him i bet he would give you the phone number to call him on or would even call you.

    but dont be so selfish to ask the members to create an uproar for you..

    we will do that on our own, if a chance we feel should be given is not...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  13. #13
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Sponsors are neccescary and I have no problem with out of state sponsors, particuarily so if its outdoor related products.
    I do not care for some sponsors, I made the mistake to click on the weightloss link last week.
    You know the one, yeah, the caricature of the gal in the bikini losing weight before your very eyes, white bikini last week, black this week......What ever you do, dont go there, I couldnt get away from the site and then I started to get spam on my computer from them............
    What a crock of you know what............
    you will notice those are all " ads by google" they are place there by Google pay per view. i am too a member of Google ad words... though i do not PAY the premium placement.. 5-10 buck a click. AOD HAS LIMITED control over Google ads and the space provided for them.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  14. #14
    Member Akgramps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last civilized place on the planet
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you will notice those are all " ads by google" they are place there by Google pay per view. i am too a member of Google ad words... though i do not PAY the premium placement.. 5-10 buck a click. AOD HAS LIMITED control over Google ads and the space provided for them.
    Thanks Vince, I didnt know that.
    usally I dont let myself get sucked in that way, dont know what I was thinking,???
    Maybe the losing some extra pounds w/ the holidays and all or maybe the bikini got me!!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    but your posting seems to be that of a jilted lower 48er that did not get their way. thus the cloak and dagger.
    Vince-
    Great post. But, with all due respect...

    I'm fairly certain my sponsorship would be approved by upper management. I understood approval to be a minor formality. KT

  16. #16
    Member chriso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Turner View Post
    Vince-
    Great post. But, with all due respect...

    I'm fairly certain my sponsorship would be approved by upper management. I understood approval to be a minor formality. KT
    Well... if'n it don't.. you and me still got an appointment on the river! When are you coming up here... or are you going to just keep letting your wife do all the dirty work like running our rivers to see how your boats will do?

  17. #17
    Member Alaskanmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    947

    Default I wouldn't mind

    Unless you are like the person I tried to order my light bar from, 2 weeks after I placed the order for the amount and the shipping they stated I got a email that said I had to pay 128.00 more in shipping (this was on top of the 58 already stated for a 145.00 item) . I cancelled the order and posted it on every Tundra and automotive forum I belong to.

    We Alaskans are a might bit sensitive towards shipping costs.

  18. #18

    Default

    To forum owners & mods, I'm not complaining, I'm explaining...

    I read/post on several forums b/c I enjoy learning and interacting with folks from all over world. I've a small business. My main purpose is not to harp my wares, but to learn & share what I've learned. That said, I'd be more than happy to buck up and sponsor this wonderful forum if it was a level playing Field.

    If I understand the sponsor program correctly; Full sponsorship gives the sponsor the right to post any info the sponsor wishes as it pertains to his/her products. Also, the sponsor is the only one that can post this info about his/her products. So, in effect, silencing competitors. Keeping others from posting info about competing products, hurts all of us. But, having one sponsor foot the bill for his competitors, isn't fair to the paying sponsor.

    Now, there is a partial form of sponsorship available, but it doesn't allow the sponsor the freedom to post any and all info about his products. So in effect, those who do not sponsor the forums have the ability to post anything they wish, but the partial sponsor does not.

    The reason for my post is this: This is a great boating forum and I've no problem paying my way. But, as a partial sponsor, I'd be tying my hands. As a full sponsor, I'd be tying others hands. That's why I haven't pursued the sponsorship I spoke of at the top of this thread.

    Now, if we can come up with a "fair" sponsor program for all, I'm in! Thx for your consideation, KT

  19. #19

    Default

    Kevin also based on a rumor I heard gives this product of his away for FREE!!
    One only needs to be on his very special list......Just kidding!

    Kevin & I have never met face to face. I believe we talked on the phone years ago.

    I would like to say I have used his product. In more than a couple of instances I believe it exceeds & may very well be a far better product for some, compared to whats out there.

    No PMs please. I only wished to throw in my honest assesment about this.


    Jeff "Kawriverrat"

  20. #20
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    It would be best if you direct your questions about sponsorship directly to the owner of the sight. The forum members have no input on the policies of the site, and can't answer your questions.

    If I was a manufacturer looking to sponsor a forum, I'd look at it solely as a business decision. Did I think the cost of sponsorship, partial or full, would provide enough extra business to cover my costs. I don't know how to consider whether or not various sponsorship programs are fair or not, I'd just look at costs vs. projected profits.

    I believe the minor restrictions on what manufacturers and sponsors can and can't post does not signifigantly restrict the flow of information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •