Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who you wouldn't fly with is.......

Unhappy Who you wouldn't fly with is.......

Mike, Mods, How about stickys along this line. Please tell us who you wouldn't fly with....Per forum rules, all you can list is who you wouldn't fly with in the state of Alaska and that is ALL you can say. No reasons, no comments etc. You can tell people to Pm you for more details. We can start here and also have a Sticky for each area, " I wouldn't use this...."Outfitter", this "Guiding Service" this "Taxidermy" It would be one spot to actually find info on someone not to use and give members a person to contact and ask questions without violating forum rules but we have got to have a way of telling members who and what to stay away from. So

"Who wouldn't you fly with?"
    Last edited by tboehm; 12-13-2009 at 06:05. Reason: spelling

Default +1

TBOEHM, that is a good idea. I am wanting to go sheep hunting in 2010 and would like ideas on the good, the bad and the ugly. Even a plus or minus sign would be a starting indicator.

Default how about this....

westwind guide service
    inland aviation
    nicks drunkin might just make it there alive adventures
    pm for details

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Mike, Mods, How about stickys along this line. Please tell us who you wouldn't fly with....Per forum rules, all you can list is who you wouldn't fly with in the state of Alaska and that is ALL you can say. No reasons, no comments etc. You can tell people to Pm you for more details. We can start here and also have a Sticky for each area, " I wouldn't use this...."Outfitter", this "Guiding Service" this "Taxidermy" It would be one spot to actually find info on someone not to use and give members a person to contact and ask questions without violating forum rules but we have got to have a way of telling members who and what to stay away from. So
    "Who wouldn't you fly with?"
    We going to make the responders post their credentials to? Theres a lot of subjectivity out there, and lots of folks who think they know more than they actually do. I've flown up here all my life with many of the best of pilots here in south central and out west. Most of the best pilots I know have had a disgruntled client somewhere in their past who would gladly reply to this post... "dont fly with so and so" but many of these folks who I've encountered couldn't pour pi$$ from a boot, yet they feel qualified to pass judgement on someone about things they really dont understand. I remember when I was first flying as a private pilot, what was intimidating then is less intimidating now, yet I still strive to keep a real close tab on my limitiations and the variable nature of the weather and untried landing sites. I cant wait for the "experts" to come out of the woodwork on this one...

I'm not sure how great your responses will be to this thread. I'd think you'd go a lot farther to ask "who would you fly with, and why"

In fact, I'll start off with a few I WILL fly with... Trail Ridge, Regal, Servant, Alsworths, 40 mile to name a few.

I'll also include the outfits that I will fly with, because I don't feel right just stating the negative.
    Jim Roude (Northwestern Aviation and no longer in business) but what a great operation he ran.
    Eric Sieh (Hageland Air) a very good pilot.
    Andrews Air a very good operation.
    10-15 years ago I used Susitna Air a lot and was very satisfied.
    Bettles Lodge gets a ++
    Katmai Air is o.k.
    Craig Schweitzer (Mavrik Air) I believe no longer in service and for good reason, I have nothing positive to say about him.
    I think that sums it up for me.

Another WILL FLY candidate....Warbelows out of Fairbanks.
    They usually amount to the "mail plane" but can get you to most villages safely and reasonably if you can secure a seat....

Understand the rationale here, but I think giving negative opinions on businesses goes against what this forum wants. Larry Bartlett's site (Pristine Ventures) has a Flight Services sub-forum with that kind of info for anyone who wants to take a gander.

Most of the air-taxis up here are good outfits. Just a few bad apples. If you search the hunting forum you will find out who the good ones are, as positive comments are welcome on this site.

Some of the top-notch pilots/outfits I've flown with and would again, in the interior:
    Wright Air Service - Fbks
    Art Warbelow - Fbks
    Fortymile Air - Tok
    Shadow Aviation - Fbks

Glad to see the forum take a positive spin on this one... We can certainly list who we would fly/hunt/outfit with and tell exactly why and no one is trying to skirt the forum rules about bad mouthing other folks. I booked a hunt this fall based on the recommendation of just one guy who's judgement I trust and I personally know. I doubt any amount of internet chatter would change my mind. Conversely- if this guy said "no way, never again" a hundred glowing reviews is not likely going to get me to lay down money.

I would go with any of these folks without hesitation based on past experience.
    1. Forty Mile Air
    2. Smokey Bay Air
    3. Golden Eagle Outfitters
    4. Phoenix...although I don't know if they still are in business. They flew me to the Chain repeatedly in horrible weather and got me there and back in one piece.

Default the point is

Bushrat - I know that Bartletts site has some things on it but it doesn't even come close to the membership here or the wealth of info that we have here. Your comment about searches is true but it doesn't work very well alot of the time when looking for info. This isn't just about air taxis, that was a starting point. I would like to see a sticky governing this about all the differernt aspects of each area with in the forum.

Chriso- Sounds like you may be a pilot and taking this personal. Not the intention and if you are a pilot I'm sure that you know of a few services that you would never recommend for one reason or another.. Don't you think that information should be shared with other members? Under the forum rules we are not allowed to post negative comments. Yes, I'd love to hear the credentials of anyone that makes a comment but the point is to provide one spot that someone could go to see if anyone had something to say about a service and then you would be able to contact those individuals to get the whole story. A prime example is the thread that is going on right now about the bear hides and taxidermist or sealer or what ever she is in Craig. That info will be lost in a couple of weeks so any member won't know who or what she was doing wrong!!!

Folks, we need to have a listing of the good as well as the BAD and I figure this would be a way to do it and still follow the rules but it keeps the info from being lost and would be easily found by all.

Im sure that there are many members here that know of a person that shouldn't be guiding for hunting, fishing, mounting animals, welding, selling things etc and those persons should be held accountable some way. Heck I'd love to have a sticky of member endorsments for the positive but we need to allow the other side of the coin.

If you have of a bunch of people endorsing "X" service saying that they are the greatest thing since slice bread but I know something that says they are not, I'm not allowed to share that info or the details but if it remainned on a sticky then at least people would know who to contact and get the details through the PM system.

Heck have a sticky for each area, one good and one bad. In the bad the only thing allow is "I don't recommend "X"." Then there is a permenant record with a name attached so they could be asked about it 6 or 12 months from now.
    Last edited by tboehm; 12-13-2009 at 11:56. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    westwind guide service
    I had a friend named, Bob Reeve (The Glacier Pilot). Bob would say, "If you say that a man is the best pilot ever, you set your self up for a fight over who is the best, but if you say a pilot is the second best pilot ever, you avoid the fight. T Lee is the "second" best cub driver ever, and the best I ever flew with.

Unfortunately the local guys I trusted are gone or bought up. Cliff Hudson is in the Pioneer Home ..Jay just passed away. Boyd at Susitna Air,my favorite float plane guy, was bought up by Willow Air. Doug Geeting was bought up by K2. I would have flown anywhere with any one of them.

The best hunting experiences I have had are with Lief and Randy at 40Mile Air and Rolan at Seahawk Air.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I think this is a good thread to keep around. I see both sides of the argument however I WOULD like to know if someone has had a bad experience and why. I think having some negative responses is a good thing in the long run and most of the people here in this forum seem to be on the up and up and not out to just bad mouth people. Lots of folk read this while trying to plan a trip of a lifetime and if they have a horrific experience because we are not allowed to voice our opinions than thats a problem. If people do post negatives than keep in mind they are just one persons opinion and that every pilot can have a bad day due to something. I'm not a pilot but i would hate to put myself in a dangerous situation because nobody was able to warn me about some dunce of a pilot that everyone but me knew not to fly with.

I Believe i tried to get guide recommendation sticky going,, but no fruit so i dont an air service recomendation sticky,,, otherwise i;m sure some future sponsorships might be at risk..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I guess if your pilot showed up drunk, forgot to load your food and gun at the airport, gave you multiple near-death experiences, and you had to walk back cause he crashed the plane, and still overcharged you.... I would like to know.

This issue comes up nearly as often as the "What caliber for bear?" topics.

Is it a good idea? Sure. Will it fly [/pun] here? No. And for good reason.

Given the insular and relatively small pool of services offered up here, it would not be hard, nor surprising, for folks with competing businesses to post under anonymous handles claiming to have had bad service with what is actually a competitor. The real flaw here is in that the "I like company X" posts could likewise turn out to be the postings of an owner also anonymously posting, touting his own operation.

This site offers a myriad of levels of service, one of which is the PM feature. Utilize it, and it will be your friend. A thread asking for input on an air service/guide/outfitter/meat processor etc. will generally be sufficient for the member with questions as opposed to creating an area dedicated to bad mouthing (whether honestly or not) businesses.

No pennies on me...so I'll simply toss in a nickel and opt for the .03 change....<grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Bush pilots have to put up with alot up here, from those that have never been out there, to people that should'nt get in a plane at all.

A little story about a guy that was in a village i was working at wanted to get to Fairbanks, but he had just a tad more than he could handle, the pilot said no, and the guy got violent. I told the pilot to take off that I would detain the guy til he got in the air, then the pilot said no let him come.

Talked to said pilot a couple days later and asked him how the trip went. He said fine til said passenger tried to take over the controls, a little love tap as he called it took care of that, and he had a nice trip, while said passenger took a nap.

I think most pilots up here know what their doing, but some might have had a trying day by the time you get in the plane.

Default 40 mile!

I would fly anywhere with 40 mile. They flew me into the side of a mountain, dropped me right on my one and only sheep, and made a trip of a lifetime.

The one issue was on the way out. There were three of us on the hunt, and two super cubs. We spent the day waiting for the wind to die down, and everytime they buzzed us we had a chinese fire drill packing and getting ready. My buddies decided to get lazy and not hurry and pack up after 4 times, but I was ready, packed, and running to the first super cub to land. It was Leif. I jumped in, tossed my sheep in, thought I had left my buddies stuck on the mountain overnight, and rode back to his airstrip and cabin on the Dry Tok River. No one was there, but Leif told me to make myself at home in the cabin, and he might be able to pick me up that night. If not, he'd be back in the morning.... So, Leif and his other pilot fly back to the mountian for my two buddies, it gets late, and they take them into Tok... they didn't make it back for me that night... and picked me up at 9am the next morning...
    My buddies enjoyed a steak, showers, and beers in town while I was stuck out at the cabin trying to keep the foxes from taking off with my sheep!

Was a great time with a great outfit!

Talk about karma!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

[QUOTE=denalihunter;631882]My buddies enjoyed a steak, showers, and beers in town while I was stuck out at the cabin trying to keep the foxes from taking off with my sheep!QUOTE]

You got the better end of the deal!!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I'll also include the outfits that I will fly with, ]Eric Sieh (Hageland Air) a very good pilot.

He WAS a good pilot for sure. He flew us on two of our NW float trips. Took a job with ADFG, or so I am told. I think the new guy at Hageland in Kotz is Jared (or similar name). Heard good things of him, but have not flew with him yet.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    He WAS a good pilot for sure. He flew us on two of our NW float trips. Took a job with ADFG, or so I am told. I think the new guy at Hageland in Kotz is Jared (or similar name). Heard good things of him, but have not flew with him yet.
    Eric is flying for Feds, not ADFG. Jerod seems to be a good guy when I met him this year. Young pilot, but seems to have his stuff together. didn't fly with him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast