Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single VS double wall tents

Default Single VS double wall tents

Yes another tent topic but I wanted to get opinions on double vs single wall tents for high country hunting.

The time has come for me at least to really look at what worked or did not and think how I could shed some weight from a pack.

First I'm looking at shelter, took a 5 pound 2 man this year, worked great, but heavy for the 46SF it gives you, we had tons of rain and it did get a bit damp inside.

What I was thinking of was going to a single wall for weight savings, get more volume inside (2 people) and be able to vent better, more of a function od design than anything

I'm looking at them all but the golite shangrila 3 looks good, I don't know how it would do in high winds (anyone with experience) but it seems like you can get a lightweight large shelter at right about 3lbs,,,,,yes I will have a floor, which will add weight but I'm thinking a different howbrew floor from a lighter fabric will still put me under 4

I like the warmlites too, they are similar to the helldiberg (SP?) and the bibler tents, they seem like they would do better in the wind.

Past shelter I'm looking at sleep systems and really looking at the big anges type systems, with a insulated pad and a blanket of sorts for the bag...........actually looking a some quilt type bags and other lighter weight insulated pads, I'll test this one in great lengths in the backyard before hitting the high country with it, I've had zero experience with them

Past that, did save a full pound sewing up my own pack for my barney's frame, no does not have all the features of the barneys pack but the same size and at least a pound less, need to get all my buckles on it for a final weigh in.

Getting side tracked but thats where I'm at right now,,,,,would love to hear about pro and cons of the single vs double wall tent though,,,,and how teepe style tents do in high wind?

5 lbs heavy for 2 guys!?!? Eat some more wheaties man that's light! My Hilleberg is 8. But it's 4 season expedition bomber type tent which is what I want. I'll shave weight in other places.

Typically with a single wall you will have more venting issues. That is, they are more prone to having condensation.

I had a TNF Apogee tent. Single wall internal pitch like the biblers with a similar type of material. Expedition type tent. With 2 guys and moist clothes, etc. condensation was in issue unless the air was dry and the wind was blowing. Still moist mountain air, rain, lowland, etc. Condensation was a pain. But man it had a drum tight pitch and did not move at all in HIGH wind and it was quiet, quiet, quiet.

I bought a Hilleberg Tarra because of it's exoskeleton design. Pole are in the outer tent, the inner tent is suspended from it. Make for a tight pitch and quieter in the rain. The vestibules do stake out but are tight enough that they don't flap in in the wind. With the double wall and the setup condensation is easy to manage.

You can see pics of both of those tents here in the Tent pics and review sticky thread
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=64311

and this old thread...
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghlight=apogee

Your best "room to weight" ratio is going to come with the Hilleberg Tunnel tents like the Nallo or Nallo GT's. But, then you're back to that that super heavy 5 or 6lb tent.... time for some more wheaties

It's more of a issue of area v.s. weight. I have no issue with a 5 or 6 lb tent. But like I said, just going through my pack and seeing what I could shave some weight from, improve, not take. Looking at my heaviest items first.

The tent came up from reading a little more on the single walls and was just wondering how they were preforming for guys here in Alaska.

Also looking at it from a solo trip standpoint, I do think 5lbs is too heavy for one (just because there are so many options out there) I can't just set up my rainfly and poles in my current tent, I think this is a nice option.

Youngtrout,

If going solo in the mountains I run a GoLite Shangri-La 2 (1.5 lbs and 50+ sq ft) plus a TI Goat bivy (6 oz) all up my shelter weighs in at less than 2 pounds and I have a real floor for my bag and the bug screen on the head of the bivy keeps the bugs out too. I do agree that 5 lbs for a solo hunter would be a bit much for one guy and no doubt over kill. If going with one other person I'd just take my hilleberg nallo gt3. Its only 37 sq ft of tent area, but also has 29 sq ft of vestibule so gear storage out of the weather is never an issue. Doing the math its only 63 sq ft of total coverage for 1.2#s MORE than what you already have. Granted you likely won't be getting thing damp inside a hilleberg no matter the weather unless pitched in a creek.

If you are looking getting just one shelter instead of a solo shelter and a 2-3 man setup I'd take a look at the tarptent shelters.

In particular the double rainbow model. Its 29 sq ft of tent that is bug proof and a real floor. Then on each side is a 15 sq ft vestibule for each door. I like the looks of this model because of each camper gets his/her own door and vestibule to store their gear, packs, and boots. Weighing in at only 2.5 pounds for just shy of 60 sq ft of coverage is nice.

I also like the fact that it is freestanding and rated by tarptent as a 3+ season tent inside of the others as only 3 season tents. Granted it likely won't buck the wind as well as a hilleberg, but if these tents worked all summer for Buck Nelson crossing the Brooks range then with a little forethought on the wind when picking a camping sight it ought to work alright. Just some food for thought anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    It's more of a issue of area v.s. weight. I have no issue with a 5 or 6 lb tent. But like I said, just going through my pack and seeing what I could shave some weight from, improve, not take. Looking at my heaviest items first.

The tent came up from reading a little more on the single walls and was just wondering how they were preforming for guys here in Alaska.

Also looking at it from a solo trip standpoint, I do think 5lbs is too heavy for one (just because there are so many options out there) I can't just set up my rainfly and poles in my current tent, I think this is a nice option.
    Ya, I hear ya. Just giving you a little friendly sheep hunters grief....

I spent 5 or 6 days in the Wrangles with AlaskaCub and he had a Nallo 3GT tunnel tent. TONS of room for less than 6 lbs. Great for two guys but not a light weight solo tent that's for sure. Bibler makes some light weight single wall solos that would be worth looking at. I think kahahawai uses a single wall mtn hardware of some sort.

Default lightweight tents

Suggest you take a look at Black Diamond tents. They have the Bibler tents but for the slight increase in weight I prefer their double walls (moisture, vestabules).

Snyd, give me al the grief you can, its been 3 weeks since I've hit the gym and snow has been a bit weak so have not gotten out as much as I want. Way better to keep up in the winter than try to fit it in in spring.

Just looking my stuff over, love the BD stuff, and all the big names mentioned. I am going to try to find a Shangrila 2 or 3 second hand or new (they are priced right) and see what its all about, may not be my go to for sheep but the 3 looks like a great moose tent for 2. Really want to find out how they do in heavy wind, but like the idea of them

Ya its 8 months out but here is a spotter pic of some rams I was on this year, ya, still keeps me up at night! Images like this keep me going

We identified 2 shooters, the one in center pic, longer on his left, really about curl plus a bit,, and the fella with his head down, real tight curl broomed one side but old, just full on the left,,,,,,just could not close the deal, had a great hunt, just did not fill a tag

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey trout... i found that by Zooming the camera..you can eliminate that ring of the scope! dial your scope in and then zoom the camera a bit to fill in the shadows...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    Snyd, give me al the grief you can, its been 3 weeks since I've hit the gym and snow has been a bit weak so have not gotten out as much as I want. Way better to keep up in the winter than try to fit it in in spring.

Just looking my stuff over, love the BD stuff, and all the big names mentioned. I am going to try to find a Shangrila 2 or 3 second hand or new (they are priced right) and see what its all about, may not be my go to for sheep but the 3 looks like a great moose tent for 2. Really want to find out how they do in heavy wind, but like the idea of them

Ya its 8 months out but here is a spotter pic of some rams I was on this year, ya, still keeps me up at night! Images like this keep me going

We identified 2 shooters, the one in center pic, longer on his left, really about curl plus a bit,, and the fella with his head down, real tight curl broomed one side but old, just full on the left,,,,,,just could not close the deal, had a great hunt, just did not fill a tag
    Ya, I know what you mean. I've been pretty good about getting/staying in sheep for skiing but we're still out skiing up here yet, I've got some tendonitis in one elbow that is keeping off the weights for a bit, been battling a cold for the past week and am sitting here feeling like a slug!

Great looking country there and there's nuthin like finding a band of rams. I made my first trip into the Brooks this August. Found a small band of rams but no shooters. Spotted this guy heading for a mineral lick and was able to beat him to it and wait in ambush. The hope was that he might make age but no go. But, I did get to sit there and watch him at 150 yds for and hour and a half. That was cool, but not long enough for him to grow another ring or two
    Last edited by Snyd; 12-16-2009 at 06:49.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    Suggest you take a look at Black Diamond tents.

I have used the Black Diamond Guiding Light for the last few float trips. Amazing tent. Single wall, 4 person, 5 lbs, drum tight, waterproof with seam sealing, goes up easy, freestanding, etc.. Just a perfect tent in my opinion. Had it in 30 mph winds in arctic NW, overnight downpours in SW, this tent rocks. One thing I like most is how quiet it is. Saw it on sale for $441 ($600 tent) the other day online with free shipping. Link below.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com.../guiding-light

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...tail.cfm/BD178
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default frequent tent-buyer

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I have used the Black Diamond Guiding Light...
    I'd trust Dan's advice on tent buying; he knows better than anyone; from what I've seen, he needs a new tent every single trip, since no tent manufacturer yet has made a bear-proof model.

Default Smart *****...

There is one in every crowd

Glad I brought the cheaper Kelty up in Sept. I would have been hunting bear without a tag if he had crawled in my Black Diamond.

Seriously man, all the remote places I have spent time and a bear crashes camp when I am a mile from a paved road. Go figure. Ha ha ha...
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Shangri-la 3 experience

Youngtrout,
    I have experience with the Hex 3, the pre-cursor to the Shangri-la 3. They are pretty much identical. You can use a pole-extender and a pair of stout trekking poles to save 12 oz. and not carry the stock pole.

Mine weighs 2 lb 4 oz with plenty of "Y" stakes. I reccomend the use of "y" stakes or MSR groundhogs. They have been proven to hold better than any other of the stakes out there, which is a must with a tipi-style or pyramid shelter.

Plenty of room for 2 plus gear. I made a tyvek floor that weighs about 10 oz if you want to keep the dirt and moss out of your gear.

It is plenty wind-proof if you stake it down well. P-cord and rocks work well when the stakes won't hold in rocky soil.

If I plan on hiking more than 12 or so miles in, my choice is the shangrila/hex 3 all the way.

I attached a picture of my Hex 3 and a very happy clint with curl-and-a-quater ram! ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Oops

Oops...CLIENT's name is Dave, not Clint! lol

Anyone familiar with the Mountain Hardware Mountain Jet 3? Good or bad.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

dean, i use the mtn/ hdwr trango model four season... and love it so far. i dont know the differences with the Jet model.

but would suggest one person larger at least then the # of people in it.

my trango 2 is great for me... OKAY for me and a kid tight with me and another adult. where the 3 would be best. being the four season it is tight to the ground and holds back weather nicely. and easy to warm
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

MJ 3 is a 3 season tent, but I'm unsure of the single wall system.

sheepshape365, dang man, is there even a picture of a tent in that picture. All I see is horns.

My biggest issues is that its not bug proof, and am unsure how it really does in the wind.

Oh well, with the promotional code, you can get in them for pretty cheap, might be worth the investment to try it out at least. Sure would fit the bill for a solo tent too

The more I look at the black diamonds the more I want one, they look nice too.
    Thanks

Here's the one I like when going solo:

http://cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Tents/...isters/product

No floor, but I use a bivy and it handles wind really good.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I agree Sheepshape. MSR groundhogs are all I use for staking out my Shangri-Las.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast