Thread: My Kotz to home 'bou shiping plan

Default My Kotz to home 'bou shiping plan

Going to Kotz Sept. 07 and here is what I have come up with for the cheapest way to get all my 'bou parts home. I'm looking for comments.
    I will fly all meat/capes/antlers to Anchorage on Northern Air Cargo.
    I will take all meat to Indean Valley meats for processing and shipping home.
    I will take antlers to UPS store for packaging and shipping home(wisconsin).
    I will buy coolers large enough for capes and put in some dry ice to freeze them then bring these on my flight home as extra baggage. Alaska Air allows up to 5 lbs of dry ice per checked bag as long as it is vented and labeled.
    Are there any flaws in my logic here? Am I missing anything I need to do for ADF&G regs or interstate transport?
    Thanks
    Bruce

I shipped my brother's caribou antlers home for him, its was about $250.00 to ship to Ohio. There's a federal requirement that if you ship any wildlife parts between states, packages must be conspicuously marked on the outside with names and contents by species and number of each species. So no, doesn't look like any flaws.

Default Antlers

I would check them as baggage. My elk rack got back to AK for $80 last week. Usual cost for moose/caribou rack - $125 on the flight but better than shipping.

Gooch

Default Capes

If the coolers with the capes inside get delayed or lost, the capes will spoil. Take the capes to Knights Taxidermy and have them tanned and sent to you. I think Knights will even pick them up from the airport.

I Reccomend Shipping With Everts Air Cargo They Are Cheaper On Their Back Haul Rates, Plus Took The Meat In Game Bags As Long As There Isn't Blood Dripping All Over

Default capes

Have your bou taxidermied up here! The folks in AK know what a caribou should look like and mount it to look like a caribou not a whitetail or muley
    Justin

How will the coolers with dry ice be vented? Has anyone done a cost comparison between getting a bull mounted in Alaska and shipped home and shipping the trophy home and having it done? I would think getting it mounted in Alaska would cost more but it would be less of a hassle. Can you get a bull done with removable antlers to reduce the size of the shipping package?

Default Mounting cost much higher in AK

I have looked into mounting in AK and shipping home but the costs are WAY higher.
    $800-$900 just for the taxidermy.
    $250 for a crate and then the shipping.
    Might cost me $100 to mail the antlers home(split with the other guys in the group and $50 to get the cape home as extra baggage. Taxidermy here by a guy I know that has won many contests is just $500.
    Bruce

Default Venting

Most coolers have a drain plug we will leave open. That should be a sufficient vent. After that they just have to be labeled with the contents and the fact that there is dry ice inside.
    Bruce

Bruce sent you a private message

Default Shipping Antlers

I once took a medium set of caribou antlers to UPS and they were too big to ship. The max size package they would ship was 130" (length + girth). If you split the antlers apart it is much easier and cheaper to package and ship. Not recommended if you plan to enter Boone and Crockett.

Check with your airlines about shipping the antlers, I have heard some will ship them, but most won't. I always fly on Alaska Air. They have a program called antler express. It is a bit pricey but is one alternative.

I went through the process to become a known shipper with them so that I could ship my meat and antlers home air cargo. Last time I put my antlers and some gear on a pallett in Dillingham and sent it air cargo Alaska air to Anchorage. The plan was to spend a night in Anchorage, pick up the stuff, repack it and then send it the rest of the way to CA. I was told that the antlers had to be in a box to go to the lower 48. To make a long story short the cargo was delayed and didn't get to Anchorage until about 2 hours prior to my departure flight the next day. The agent at the counter of air cargo said since I was a known shipper antlers didn't need a box and she sent it all the way to CA. Their printed materials counterdict this though.

I have bought the very large telescoping boxes from Alaska Air Cargo that they use for antler express (about $35) and packaged my antlers and gear and sent them home air cargo. I usually take my meat as baggage and have found if you declare it as perishable they take care to make sure it gets on the flights.

I usually figure about $1 a pound to get the meat home to the lower 48 from the field. Lately I have been taking collapsable insulated tote bags I buy at Sam's club to pack my meat. They cost about $10 and are much better insulated than wet lock boxes. They have straps for handles and hold 50 pounds of meat each. They fold flat and don't weigh much. They don't leak. They don't stack well when full of meat but are easy to move through the airport because of the handles.
    Brian

Default Bruce

you are going to have thousands into this trip allready before you even see a caribou, why not pay the extra $300 or so and get the mount done right by an alaskan artist that has the most experience with the animal he's mounting?
    BTW I paid 700 for mine and my taxidermist is probably considered high priced but he does really nice work.

It's you trophy, just making a suggestion. It would be a real shame to get your mount back and have it not look as good as it could have. Many many mounts have been spoiled this way.
    Justin
    Justin

Default detachable antlers

And yes you can certainly have the antlers be detachable. I believe it costs around 100 dollars extra, but you might save that in shipping alone not to mention the ease of installation and getting that beast into your house.
    Justin
    Justin

I think everts is 33 cents per pound for backhaul.

Default shipping

The money you will save on a taxidermist by having it done in the lower 48. will pay for shipping all your meat home and shipping your trophy. Whitetail shipped from Alaska and back cost me $450 and that includes all shipping cost if I would of had it mounted here $750 if mounted in Canada $450-$575. Caribou done here $900-1150 if done in lower 48 $475 plus shipping and as far as knowing the animal there aretaxidermists all over the world that do more Alaska animals than are done in the state of Alaska.

I agree with horse about the quality of "some" taxidermy outside of Alaska, but more than that is the shipping costs to get it home without possible damage. Sometimes cost is more than mounting charges...but I would definitely leave my hides and capes in Alaska with a quality tannery. May cost a little more in service and shipping but seems to be somewhat faster turnaround and less hassle...one less thing to mess with.