Thread: figure 8 report

Default figure 8 report

Got out there about 11, got set up and man it was quiet. No one else out there besides us. We got 2 flags and caught one on a jig. 2 small fish. We got lazy and sat around the fire and roasted moose brats and didn't tend to the tip ups and when we picked them all up none had bait, so we had hits but they got froze in and the flag never went up. We would have done better but we just enjoyed the day and sat around the fire and jigged. Saw 3 bull moose. A paddle horn and 2 spike forks. All in all a good day, but I don't think I will be heading back out there anytime soon. She's been pretty well picked clean.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thanks for the report!

How was the trail? Did you 4-wheel or snowmachine?
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

We took the 4 wheeler. I wouldn't take a sled out there. You were practically riding on dirt in places.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default question

just a shot in the dark but did you keep and clean anything, perhaps checking their stomaches? just interested to see if those lakes are that short on nutrition like some have been saying

No we did not keep any. I think they have just been hit too hard for the last couple of years and need some time to rebound. The reason they don't get real big is they have nothing besides other pike to eat, and I don't think that is a reason for their decline, as there hasn't been anything besides pike in there for awhile.

There were big fish (as in 30"+) in fig 8 at one point though right? seems like normal pressure problem like u said, there are just alot of excuses out there about poor oxygenation and nutrition due to blah blah blah.

that lake done dried up for fishing, no sense in wastin your time fishing figure 8 anymore, maybe in 5 years..
    Semper Fi!

sounds like alot of lakes in the valley. we were on 36" fish in memory lake till three years ago. that lake looks like a tent city now.

Oh ya we used to pull 30+ out regularly. Memory should still have some nice fish in it.

try redshirt i think theres still some in there.
    Semper Fi!

ill try redshirt. its just too expensive to get out to the alexander system, and im not really in the mood to drive way north. a louise visit may be in order. it was just too convenient to catch nice fish in mat-su

Two years ago a buddy and I went to F8 and had a good day with one about 30" most were about 22-24. Didn't know at the time about the pressure as I was new to the valley. The fish that we kept I did a stomach content view and found mostly olive scuds. These same scuds came up with the water from the auger. These must keep the fish till the baby ducks contribute.

There must be some black fish and sticklebacks as well in that lake. Stonefly nymphs and other aquatic critters that we don't see too often.

George