Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My latest creation...

Default My latest creation...

A 70# @ 29" Jatoba/Hickory longbow -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

More pics -
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

A couple more...
    AKmud

Real clean looking bow. Nice work! How many hours is a typical bow build?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Nice rob... i am gonna want one soon i think...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Very nice

I would be interested in hearing the time involved and details of the build. Looks like a very nice project.

Nice job, tiller looks more even than your last bow. Jabota can be a bit britle is that why you went with a backed bow? Really like the leather tab style rest! I have a stick of Ipe if you want to play with that too.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Thanks guys!

Wyatt, I have around 15-18 hrs of actual labor into this bow. There is a lot of drying time waiting for glues and finish coats so it is a few hours here and there over several days.

Ralph, I will try to do a more detailed build with photos of my next one. I get a lot of my information from tradgang.com, primitivearcher.com and in the traditional section of archerytalk.com. There is a wealth of knowledge and skill on those sites!

I took on this hobby this last spring after I had my appendix out and was stuck at home bored out of my mind . You can get by with basic hand tools and materials run anywhere from $15-$30 a bow for what I have been doing.

Rick, I backed this one with the hickory because I was trying for such a heavy weight (~75#). I figured the hickory would be good insurance. I may talk to you about that Ipe... I've been wanting to give it a try. Is it a stave?
    AKmud

I was going to cut a 1 3/4 x 1 inch piece out of one of the boards I have stashed, more than enough for a bow or 2 but not cutting into my limited supply. I might have some beefwood laying around to.

Backing a 75 pound bow is and excellent idea! In this case hickory is a better choice then rawhide as well.........again well done!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

next time your up this way rick i will introduce you to the folks at Superior hardwoods, i am not sure if there is a similar shop in the valley, but i get some wonderful exotics from them, for my counter tops as needed.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Nice looking bow.

That would be great Vince my main hardwood supplier didn't make it through our recent tough economic times. Really don't want to drive to Vancouver or Seattle every year just to get supplies.
    BHA Member

Default Hardwoods

Alaska Hardware Specialties in Anchorage has a bunch of hardwoods, or they can get it. We have bought thousands and thousands of lineal feet from them for decks. Use IPE all the time. There is another type, lighter in color then IPE, a little cheaper too, that is basically very similar and both are a renewable product. They are located off Arctic 54th I believe. Lots of cool tools in there too.563-1312

Looks really good man. I've never seen the jatoba before. Well done sir, well done.
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway.- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Alaska Hardware Specialties in Anchorage has a bunch of hardwoods, or they can get it. We have bought thousands and thousands of lineal feet from them for decks. Use IPE all the time. There is another type, lighter in color then IPE, a little cheaper too, that is basically very similar and both are a renewable product. They are located off Arctic 54th I believe. Lots of cool tools in there too.563-1312

I get allot of my wood there to. Thing is you have to order Ipe sight unseen and about 1 in 10 boards is usable as bow wood. I've gotten a ton of riser material from them and they do carry several good bow wood species, in fact I've listed them as a source in past posts. I'm just really stuck on Ipe do to the fact it makes such fast smooth drawing bows.
    BHA Member

Good looking bow. Pulling 75#... more power to ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    I get allot of my wood there to. Thing is you have to order Ipe sight unseen and about 1 in 10 boards is usable as bow wood. I've gotten a ton of riser material from them and they do carry several good bow wood species, in fact I've listed them as a source in past posts. I'm just really stuck on Ipe do to the fact it makes such fast smooth drawing bows.
    well what spec are you looking for in L'xw" and i will get a quote from here for you, also email me the basis of your usability margin... you know i am down often enough, and the folks at superior would hand pick for you. they really are good folks a family run small mill and shop.. they are backed up usually at least a week for special orders on cutting. for instance i ordered 78 LF of dark Cherry for counter edges in 1x2 and it took 16 days for my turn to come up. they are busy but friendly and worth the wait.... panels and such. i built my first hickory kitchen two years ago... perfect quality... perfect..

meet on face book here

I have about 9 months to a years worth of limb wood stashed away........Really appreciate the help but if I make another bow related purchase before the stack is very short, never mind the doghouse I'll need a shovel to see daylight!

I spent 2 days going through stacks when I found out my old supplier was closing shop.
    BHA Member

Hint not a good idea to get a new bow just before Yule when you and the wife agreed "presents for the kid only this year"

Make matters worse I had to add a peg set for it in the dining room, she sees it everyday!
    BHA Member

Nice bow mud!

Wtg Rick...I've got a futon if you need a place when she kicks you out haha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast