Thread: Winchester M 52 Questions

Default Winchester M 52 Questions

I have a Winchester model 52 that has NO safety. Looks to be set up for bench shooting, has the assesory rail anyway, but NO heavy barrel. Its was made in 1931. Can anybody give me any info or a little history as to why there is no safety?
    Thanx For Your Time
    Attached Images Attached Images

The safeties were originally located on the left side of the reciever. At about sn#38,000 they were moved to the right side. Probably whoever reworked the rifle you have removed it because they intended it as a dedicated target rifle or simply found it to be a nuisance. Or it could have become inoperative because of other trigger mechanism modifications and was removed because it was non funtional. I can't tell from your pictures, but it looks like the safety cutout has been welded up and recut to no longer exist. The cutout in the stock is there, but I can't see the slot or pivot point for the lever. Heavy, "bull" barrels weren't offered until 1939. Before that, standard barrels were 3/4 inch at the muzzle and heavier,7/8 inch at the muzzle barrels were offered as a non-cataloged item and are therefore somewhat scarce. Hope this helps.

Default Win 52

I think you may be right about the welding, if so they did a pretty nice job. When I look at it really close, I notice a couple really teeny tiny voids. The Funny thing is, the voids are about an inch below where the safety would mount. Other than the voids it looks good though. Sent off for a Win 52 book today, will see if they touch on the various safety configurations. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

I think your new book for the Model 52 will leave you shaking your head from the looks of your pictures. The total barrel mounted scope and the stock was way past your serial number range. The originals were ladder rear sights only with a receiver bridge mount. The stock is a reworked factory stock and looks vary well done. Sure is a nicely done 52.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson