Thread: 21ft Wooldrige Alaskan, River Boat Butts

Default 21ft Wooldrige Alaskan, River Boat Butts

Anybody else take thier river boat to the sound, have put almost a 1000 miles on my boat in the PWS. Can't wait for the snow to melt to chase bears and butts. Until then I sharpen my hooks.

Nice Pics. That second pic, is that a ling cod? I thought the season for them began July 1.

Default Nice Catch

Yea had to throw him back after the photo, caught him and a 75 lb butt at the same time, had to boat it to let it go, you know the deal, no gaff ect.....Can't wait until May

How does that handle when it gets a little choppy? Do you have a jet or prop? I'm looking at getting a river boat that I can also use for what you're doing, but I need to be able to run shallow as well.

Default Choppy Jet Operation

I have a 150 Honda with a jet, I use the deep water anticavitation plates and they help alot. Still will blow out in heavy stuff. I also have to stop every once in a while and pull the seaweed out of the grill plates. I have air ride seats and that really helps tame the chop. It is a river boat, so I'm super careful with the weather.

Default 1st time this year

Started going out of Whittier this year. Had over 400 miles on it this year by the end of May (started going out in late March). The pic is in Culross Passage. By the way....That's a really sharp looking boat you have there!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Nice Eggy

Nice looking boat, your bow and prop setup is better for the sound. They look alot alike. I have been out of whittier, but for me driving from North Pole, I like Valdez better, more places to park and no tunnel or TRAIN. The last time that train drove me crazy. If they get the beach going it will be better I'm sure. What kind of speed are you getting with the prop???

Default Too fast

I'll hit 50 mph on GPS if it's light and I trim it out just right. Way too fast for this hull in the ocean though. I cruise 40 on the river if I know it and about 30-35 in the sound if it's smooth. I run a jet in the fall on the Su drainage and it tops out right at 40 (again if it's lightly loaded). 2004 model 200 hp.

Default Eggy Prop to Jet swap

When you swap from prop to jet, how are you adjusting your transom height??? Jack plate ect... how long to do the swap. Do you have an extra water pump and housing. I wish I had got the 200, V-6 right???
    Steve

Default Jet Swap

On Glenn's advice, I ordered an XXL engine. The reason Iwent with the Honda is because they put an extension piece on their XL model. This allows you to mount the jet at the correct height, then when switching to the prop, it's only about 2 inches too high. Haven't noticed any problems with the height with the prop except for some cavitation on a tight turn at higher speeds...not something you'd do in the sound anyway. Because you probably don't have an XXL shaft motor, Bay Manufacturing makes an extension kit that's about the same as what came on the Honda XXL model. A jcak plate sets the motor further back away from the transom inviting the posibility of cavitation with the jet unit in place. It doesn't take too long to do the swap, I can probably do it in an hour now taking my time. Yep..extra water pump housing to speed things up and make it easier. the 200 and 225 are both V-6.

Funny.....I wish I got the 225!