Thread: Solar charger

Default Solar charger

I'm making plans for a 2 week Sept. float hunt and was wondering if anyone has had success using a solar charger?

I have heard good things about them. I know REI has one of the brunton ones on sale right now.

Thanks Jon, will check that out. I read some reviews last week on a few and it was a mixed bag of views on different chargers. I'm still hoping for some actual experience by AODers.

Try going to this forum and ask around there .... www.solarpowerforum.net

Paul

How good a Solar panel/charger work depends on how much sun you have.
    In Alaska if a solar panel is rated at 80 watts on a sunny day the best you could get is 40 watts.

Default Do you really need a solar charger?

I have to ask the question: Do you need a solar charger? I'm asking because I almost bought one for my first North Slope hunt two years ago. Instead of buying a charger I brought way too many batteries for my two digital cameras...way too many. Completed the eight day hunt and took over 600 photos (approximately 500 with my Nikon D70 and 100 with my Zeiss DC4) and was still operating on the initial batteries that I put in the cameras the night before we flew to the range.

This past fall my wife and I did a 10 day float for moose on the south slope, and now a little wiser, I throttled way back on the batteries. The Nikon once again operated the entire time on the battery in it (I brought one spare for it), and my new Sony video camera operated on two of the 4 batteries that I brought even though we shot nearly 7 hours of video.

Before you purchase a solar charger I'll offer that you should run some experiments at home with your electronics to see if you really do need a charger. IMO its much easier, and likely more dependable to bring an extra battery or two then to recharge in the bush. PM me if you want more details on the types of batteries I used on my trips.

Obviously you're putting some thought into needed capabilities, and I commend you for preparing well in advance of your trip.

WhiteFish

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFish View Post
    I have to ask the question: Do you need a solar charger? I'm asking because I almost bought one for my first North Slope hunt two years ago. Instead of buying a charger I brought way too many batteries for my two digital cameras...way too many. Completed the eight day hunt and took over 600 photos (approximately 500 with my Nikon D70 and 100 with my Zeiss DC4) and was still operating on the initial batteries that I put in the cameras the night before we flew to the range.

This past fall my wife and I did a 10 day float for moose on the south slope, and now a little wiser, I throttled way back on the batteries. The Nikon once again operated the entire time on the battery in it (I brought one spare for it), and my new Sony video camera operated on two of the 4 batteries that I brought even though we shot nearly 7 hours of video.

Before you purchase a solar charger I'll offer that you should run some experiments at home with your electronics to see if you really do need a charger. IMO its much easier, and likely more dependable to bring an extra battery or two then to recharge in the bush. PM me if you want more details on the types of batteries I used on my trips.

Obviously you're putting some thought into needed capabilities, and I commend you for preparing well in advance of your trip.

WhiteFish
    Good suggestions.
    Thanks

PM Jake (brwnbr)

I seem to recall an old thread where he was using the brunton solar charger.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=solar+charger

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

dean the only thing i could use a charger for is my sat phone.. 2 batteries don't keep up with the amount of contact my wife requires in a 10 day hunt. But for that a AA battery recharge pack may do the job... i am looking into those now for an adapter...and BTW.. if your in need of a sat phone mine may be available to use on your trip...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    dean the only thing i could use a charger for is my sat phone.. 2 batteries don't keep up with the amount of contact my wife requires in a 10 day hunt. But for that a AA battery recharge pack may do the job... i am looking into those now for an adapter...and BTW.. if your in need of a sat phone mine may be available to use on your trip...
    Thanks, I might take you up on that.

I was looking into a solar charger for a 21 day float in Grand Canyon, but after looking at all the options decided just to buy more batteries for cameras, flashlights, etc. I saved hundreds of dollars and had plenty of batteries left over to do the trip twice.

But on that trip there was a friend with two computers, modem and sat phone to keep him in business for the duration. He used a large fold out charger (about 4x5' I think) to power up a 12V lithium pack that he used to charge the rest of the equipment. He had a hard time keeping up with the power demand even with the high tech setup though. Lots of sunny days, but little of it actually gets to the bottom of the inner canyon in the winter. He was resorting to laying the charger across the gear pile while we were floating, but every time we came to another set of rapids he would have to bundle it all up again, and then take it out when it calmed down. With notoriously unreliable weather patterns in much of Alaska, I'm not sure things would be much better.

Default Been playing with solar for years .

They make a flexable solar panel for that application. most every thing is water proof and durable even bullet resistant to some degree. Diversified marine products carried the pannels

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Vince why not just get the 12V cigarette lighter plug in adapter for your sat phone and plug that into the cigarette lighter on your wheeler. Most wheelers these days have them. Works well for us atleast.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Vince why not just get the 12V cigarette lighter plug in adapter for your sat phone and plug that into the cigarette lighter on your wheeler. Most wheelers these days have them. Works well for us atleast.

oh yeah thats what i do... but planning floats that wont work... i was making the example that that is the ONLY electronic that does not go 10 days on two batts with out recharging.

still trying to figure out how to fly my wheeler into kodiak
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    still trying to figure out how to fly my wheeler into kodiak:d

in a airplane!!!