Thread: .260 Rem.?

Question .260 Rem.?

Anybody shooting the .260 Rem.? If so I would be interested in hearing about your rifle, load and game taken. I am thinking about picking one up if I can find a used Mod. 7 Rem. some where. The Grandkids are getting bigger and it looks better to me then the .243 Win. they have access to.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Anybody shooting the .260 Rem.? If so I would be interested in hearing about your rifle, load and game taken. I am thinking about picking one up if I can find a used Mod. 7 Rem. some where. The Grandkids are getting bigger and it looks better to me then the .243 Win. they have access to.

I had one and like the cartridge. I traded it off and have missed it since. The 6.5 has a good range of bullets. The rifle I had was a Ruger compact.....that lil rifle actually bruised my shoulder when firing the 140 or 160 grainers. I never hunted with that gun.

Default .260 rem.

I got one in a Kimber Montana, my kid shoots it, he Killed a Griz in the brooks range last year (2008) while I ranged it for him and watched. Wish i could've got it on video. shoots Factory ammo, Corbons tipped with 120 BarnesTSX. I chrono'd it at the range and was Averaging 2890 FPS. A very light rifle, I think its only 5.5 pounds W/O scope and ammo. It's hard to find one that cal. in a Kimber Montana, I ordered it when I was in WY, took about 6 weeks for it to come into the dealer.(pic in gallery)

Default Had one

I got one in a model 7 for Christmas shortly after the cartridge made its debut.The dang thing was great, one of the best calibers around for kids in my opinion. I would take a good shooting 260 over a pair of 243s anytime, the bullet weight and penetration is so much better. I shot several whitetails with mine along with some coyotes and one turkey. My advice is to stay away from the 140 core-lokt factory stuff at all costs, the 3 deer I shot with those all had massive holes in them with core and jacket fragments everywhere, after switching to the old Nitrex load of a 140gr Speer Grand Slam I had no more penetration problems. I shot a nice sized buck at 110yds facing me with the 140 GS and it entered breaking his collarbone and neatly cutting 4in of his tail off as it exited, about 4ft of penetration.

Stick with good bullets and read lots of Walter Bell stories and you will be ready to hunt anything on the planet.

I've got the round "bracketted" with two 6mm Rem rifles, three 257 Roberts rifles and three 7x57 rifles. If any of the biggies had ever turned out a lefty, I'd own it, but haven't felt like building a custom with all those other rifles in the household. A couple of hunting pards have them, and it's a dandy round. I'll toss 257 handloaded 120's and handloaded 7mm 140's, 150's, 160's and 175's alongside the round for similar performance. Anything you've heard about those loads will apply to the 260. And that's high praise.

I have a remington model 7 stainless 260. Its a solid gun. Its a good gun for my wife and junior.

I just purchased a Ruger Compact in .260 Remington for my 16 year old daughter. It's on it's way here via UPS as I write this. I'll post our results sometime over the Christmas holiday break.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I just purchased a Ruger Compact in .260 Remington for my 16 year old daughter. It's on it's way here via UPS as I write this. I'll post our results sometime over the Christmas holiday break.
    make sure she wears a few layers of clothing when she shoots the rifle(i had the same one)......it will bruise her. maybe even a nice recoil pad fit to the rifle.....

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    make sure she wears a few layers of clothing when she shoots the rifle(i had the same one)......it will bruise her. maybe even a nice recoil pad fit to the rifle.....

A buddy of mine went with this rifle for his son's first deer hunt. He swears by Remington's "Managed Recoil" ammo in this caliber for practice. He loaded it with full power loads for the hunt and his kid never knew the difference.

I've loaded some reduced loads using SR4759 and 120 grain Corelokts for the first few times she shoots it. After she's used to is we'll work up to hunting loads.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."