Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting and other opportunities in Alaska

Default Hunting and other opportunities in Alaska

Hello!

Me and two of my friends have been planning a trip to Alaska for some time now and we are in desperate need of some basic information.

So, we are three guys in our early twenties who love hunting and fishing. We are from Finland (the small country west of Russia in northern europe) and we were planning to head over to Alaska in June 2010.
    We would like to know some basics about hunting, living and working in Alaska and we would really appreciate any views, suggestions and advice related to the subject.

First of all, where can I find the hunting times (seasons) and regulations of Alaska and what kind of policy is applied on foreigners and hunting?

What is the current situation of employment, are there any chances for us to find a job when arriving there? The idea is to find a smaller town or city along the coast, perhaps near Anchorage as base for our adventures. And what could be a good place or site to start looking for jobs?

Where could we find a site containing rental apartments in Alaska?

As said before any kind of answer is welcome and feel free to contact me through personal message if needed.

Best regards
    Niko

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

all you need to know right here http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/?CFID=104610&CFTOKEN=99415088

most hunting seasons in June are closed except that of black bear...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Non-resident aliens require a guide to hunt any big game in Alaska. I would encourage you to come visit, travel, hike and fish. That's 90% of the reward of visiting our state.

You have more pressing issues to consider like work visas to be able to work in our state. Employment wise, Princess Tours and Holland America hire large quantities of foreign nationals to work in their tourist opperations during the summer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks alot for the answers guys, very helpful stuff!

Default How do you Finish them off?

Hows the hunting in Finland? Honestly......I have no idea.

I hunt with a Finish rifle, My Sako made M-39......and I have more than one....matter of fact I just got another very recently

What d you do for work , anyway? Could be that theres work and adventure in the same job....never know....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

[QUOTE=Nordic88;631366]Hello!

Me and two of my friends have been planning a trip to Alaska for some time now and we are in desperate need of some basic information.

So, we are three guys in our early twenties who love hunting and fishing. We are from Finland (the small country west of Russia in northern europe) and we were planning to head over to Alaska in June 2010.
    We would like to know some basics about hunting, living and working in Alaska and we would really appreciate any views, suggestions and advice related to the subject.

First of all, where can I find the hunting times (seasons) and regulations of Alaska and what kind of policy is applied on foreigners and hunting?

What is the current situation of employment, are there any chances for us to find a job when arriving there? The idea is to find a smaller town or city along the coast, perhaps near Anchorage as base for our adventures. And what could be a good place or site to start looking for jobs?

Where could we find a site containing rental apartments in Alaska?

As said before any kind of answer is welcome and feel free to contact me through personal message if needed.

Best regards
    Niko[/Q

here is a link to the alaska dep of fish and game. http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/

alaska dep of labor http://labor.alaska.gov/
    craigs list for housing and other stuff you may need to buy http://anchorage.craigslist.org/

good luck

Thanks again for all the answers!

Hunting is a very popular hobby in Finland, there's more than 300 000 hunters from a population of about 5 million people. Duckhunt is most likely the nr. 1 hunt here, followed by elkhunt. The finnish state owns lots and lots of land that one can buy huntingpermits to, which makes things a bit easier. The season is quite long luckily, so there's something to do during the winter. We don't have as much big game as you in Alaska for example, our bears weighs between 300 and 600 pounds (150-300kg) and our elks are about 400-600 pounds (200-300kg). We do quite a lot of deerhunting as well, the whitetail-deer was brough here during the 50's or 60's and has been spreading ever since. Uplandhunting is rather popular too, especially up in Lapland near the arctic circle. There's lots of black grouse, hazel grouse and capercaillie up there.

I hunt deer and elk with a Tikka T3 30.06 (Tikka is a smaller weaponcompany owned by Sako) and I have been really satisfied with it. Finnish rifles are very good in my opinion and shouldn't be that pricey either. I have a Sako .22 and a Sako .222 as well. Neither has had any problems yet.

I'm an economy student myself as is one of my friends, while the other is a technology student. We have all worked in the construction-industry and have some experience from catering as well. To combine work with adventure would be a dream come true, for example working for one of the wildlife-businesses over there. Hopefully something will come up!

-Niko

Default Great history

Your people have a great history of traveling over to the Americas for opportunity and game. Thats part of my family heritage.

Sounds like you've got some great hunting opportunities in your country too albeit with a few access hurdles.

Your the second person this year that I can think of to inquire about moving and working in Alaska.

The most important and debatable consideration is the cost of access here in Alaska. While we do have lots of land you can access this state is huge and doesn't have large amounts of roads like developed countries or states. So we have to pay rather large sums to purchase boats, ATV's, snow sleds, airplanes, sturdy Trucks and the fuel to run them. If you don't have those "toys" then your often in a situation where you have to purchase services and supplies from outfits that do.

I personally have gone through three boats while living and accessing remote hunting destinations. I've paid about $10,000 in air charter fees over the years. I've got thousands of dollars worth of gear. Maybe your well funded but if not I would consider it a great disapointment to come to America at the tail end of a recession, work hard, and watch all my money go to funding a few trips. Then again you sound like an adventerous soul and that just might work for you and your friends.

Construction in Alaska can be big buisness and a handy, hard working man can make good money here.

Good luck

I think that hunting in Alaska and Finland is actually quite similar, except for the access that you talked about Bighorse and of course the scale. We mainly hunt for the meat here, many families actually live of the elk meat in the distance locations and I'm pretty sure that's the case for some in Alaska as well. We have a good net of roads and there's next to no need for airplanes or choppers at all.

The working and spending the earnings on a few hunts is really the idea of this trip. Gaining contacts being a foreigner is probably as hard in Alaska as it is in Finland. I realized that there's no such thing as freebies and that one has to be prepared to pay for some services, but hopefully we could get hold of someone willing to take on us, just as viewers for example. The experiences are more important for me than the actual shooting.

The replies on this thread means a great deal for us and has really helped us on the way. Thanks!

-Niko

I admire your willingness and determination to come to a different country and try something new. Not many americans can say they have that ambition. Sounds like the hunting over there isn't that bad. I wish you guys the best of luck in your adventure.

Default Caribou vs. Elk

That situation you refer to with Finish people depending on elk we call that subsistence hunting. Many Native Alaskans depend on Caribou and to a lesser extent Moose in such a fashion. Although both species are hunted for sport too.

Maybe with the right permits you guys could work as packers or camp help for a guide.

Is that what your wanting?

You have probably reseached it but most big game hunts go for 8-20 grand depending on what your after. Lots of folks like to hunt Africa because it costs less than Alaska.

Yeah that sounds like something we would really enjoy (working as a packer or camp help for a guide). And yes, we have checked out some big game hunts and I know for sure that my financial situation won't allow a hunt that costs 5-20 grand. Maybe a blackbear hunt or such would be more suitable when looking at the price.

I'm sure that hunting in Africa would be both cheaper and easier, but there's just something with the scenary and landscape over there that attracts me. Hunting in Africa just desn't feel that stimulating, I'm not much of a trophy-hunter any way.

And thanks for your comment too cjustinm, the hunting here isn't bad at all really. There's lots of different game to hunt with different methods, we are simply looking for new experiences in a new location. I can recommend hunting in Finland for any Alaskan searching for new adventures as well!

Your Elk are the same as our Moose arn't they?

Default Good luck

Try contacting some of the guides here and see if you can work some type of exchange. You might have to spend the season packing meat for other people and tending camps before you get an opportunity to hunt for yourself. I have no idea about immigration issues that might surround something like this, but if you don't have the cash to lay down for a guide, an exhchange might get you there.

To be honest, I'm not totally sure which species are called what. The elk we have here is smaller than the one you have there, a big bull can weigh about 650 pounds. Isn't the moose you hunt much bigger?

Can you guys recommend any guides or wildlife-firms that we could contact? Wouldnt mind packing meat at all! We live quite close to the American embassy here in Helsinki, need to take a walk down there to find out what the visa-process is like.

Thanks again for all the tips and advice!

Just checked to be sure but your elk are the same as our moose just a smalled bread. Our elk are named wrong much like our buffalo as most just fine it easier to use the wrong name and most F&G rules add to the misnomer

I found myself in a situation similar to yours when I first came up here, except back then I was more interested in dogsledding than hunting, and I was coming from Michigan, not Finland. I had $500 to my name, plus my own small kennel of dogs and related equipment, and all I knew was that I wanted nothing else than to run dogs in AK. To combine my passion with my need for a job/money, I decided to work as a dog handler at a kennel. So, as has already been mentioned, working in a camp doing whatever, as long as it gets you out there, would prolly be good. I started by researching kennels on the internet. I think I looked at every single kennel which had a website in interior Alaska, and I emailed all of them asking if they needed help too. Be sure to weed out the nutcases who do respond. If you can't find a job related to hunting and have to take a normal job in a town, do what I did when I started hunting: make friends with people who have good, reliable vehicles and the knowledge of where to go and what to do. Make sure they don't move away, either, as I am finding out that that kinda throws a bit of a wrench into the master plan as well . Good luck to you!

Exclamation Employment

I agree with AKDoug that Holland America-Princess does a lot of hiring with Foreign Nationals. It would be a good opportunity for you to work and enjoy Alaska. They have all kinds of positions and locations for you to choose from. Here is a link to their hiring website. Hope it helps and good luck!!

www.alaskatourjobs.com

Forgot to tell you once you get to the webpage if you go to the "Apply Now" tab, it will give you information for International Applicants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast