Thread: Anybody fish for Sheefish regularly during summer?

Default Anybody fish for Sheefish regularly during summer?

Hey guys,

I wanted to know if anybody here fishes for sheefish a lot during the summer months?
    By 'a lot' I mean, do you target them for at least a week or more during the summer?

The reason Im asking is because I have a friend who's recently decided to join my brother and I on our trip to AK next year, and so we will most likely be doing a float trip on the Kobuk.

It appears that spoons well, but Im planning on spending 12 days floating and dont necessarily want to be only casting spoons.

I think a big part of the fun is trying out different lures.

From the limited amount of information Ive gathered about sport fishing for them, they seem to be voracious predators so Im hoping they take all types of lures.
    Im hoping they take bucktails, swimming shads, or swimming lures (like rapala's) etc. Maybe if Im lucky, we can coax some to strike some top water lures like poppers.

I was hoping to get any sort of info from people who fish for them fairly often during the summer months.

Im also gonna try fly fishing for them so that should be fun.

Thanks in advance.

Post kasmasters/ silver/lg

u don't need anything else, for your target fish where your heading....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I've caught a few. A small (1-1.5" long) red/white classic daredevil worked as good or better than anything else we thru at them. It seemed this little daredevil outproduced all other lures on our float trip including pike and grayling. I don't think Sheefish are very picky - have fun!

Thumbs up

We filmed a TV show this summer that included Sheefish with both lures and flys equally effective. Presentation was the key for us. We used chrome spoons with a bit of blue…but they all worked. Fragile fish if you plan on releasing them (careful handling required) but very tasty! They have no real teeth and inhale the flys. We fished in the NW Alaska area mainly targeting pike. Are you planning on a guided trip or DIY?

Strangerinastrangeland forum member probably has the most experience catching sheefish, maybe he’ll chime in here.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys.

tderlarm, Its a DIY trip with my bro and a good friend. Stranger has helped me a lot actually via email so he may not post in here.

Im gonna bring a few different spoons and some plastic swimming lures as well. I'll get only the flashiest, brightest ones.

Jpost, Im happy you did not think they were very picky. From what Ive read so far, that does seem to be the case. Hopefully they will hit the variety of lures I bring.

Ive got A LOT kastmasters and krocodile spoons in various sizes because I fish the east coast a lot. Im gonna get some prism tape and put some red, blue or green strips on a few of them.

If anyone else has some info, please let me know!

Thanks

Default all i know first hand...

is that they are incredibly good eating, a cross between white king and rockfish ... finest freshwater fish i have ever had!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I've caught plenty as one of our lodges flyouts is for sheefish on the Anderson River in the NWT. Spoons definately work the best, go to spoons are Rocket Deviles and Pixies. They also take jigs, swim baits and flies. Decievers and Clousers work well but make sure they're big.

Here's our pilot with a decent one.

I'm lurking Yep, any thread that has Sheefish in its title gets a looking at and over. A great meal any day.
    If anybody is up the Kobuk or Selawik rivers, then my best reccomends are that shiny BIG lures get BIG Shee. The big ones are there spawning.
    The waters fairly clear up that way, and the fish arnt picky.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I've caught plenty as one of our lodges flyouts is for sheefish on the Anderson River in the NWT. Spoons definately work the best, go to spoons are Rocket Deviles and Pixies. They also take jigs, swim baits and flies. Decievers and Clousers work well but make sure they're big.

Here's our pilot with a decent one.

Hey Dave, thanks.

What swim baits did you use? Im thinking of bringing some Magnum Yozuri Crystal minnows. if you look them up you'll see these things are HUGE and they are very bright, hence the 'crystal'.
    Im gonna switch all the hooks to single barbless though so I hope the action doesnt change. Im just gonna leave on on the body and none on the tail because I read they inhale the lures.

Im also ordering my first ever vise. Im gonna tie up some huge crazy ass flashy flies. Im just going to be learning so it will be fun to tie.

As for eating, its gonna be hard to beat river side, caught myself, on a fly I tied, with my 2 best mates on our first float trip.

Good times

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post

As for eating, its gonna be hard to beat river side, caught myself, on a fly I tied, with my 2 best mates on our first float trip.

Good times

You forgot the dutch oven garlic biscuits
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I'll agree with what everyone has said, but also add that big, bright silver bucktails on a flyrod is something you will never forget with sheefish.

Default uh...

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    You forgot the dutch oven garlic biscuits
    Showoff!

Doesn't mean I disagree with you! I love your cooking!
    But break with this biscuit recipe already, K Dan?

Recipe??

Ha ha...

You know I am redneck.

That means...

cornbread = Jiffy

biscuits = Bisquick

Making them on a river bank in the arctic to go along with grayling gumbo, priceless

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default swallowing lures

I can't help with the flys but for spinning lures, use the biggest ones you can get your hands on. Put a single barbless on them. Also bring some long needlenose pliers or hemostats. A leatherman is not long enough.

These fish seem delicate for their size. Plus a smaller lure will be far down in their throat. Huge lures help with hooking them in the mouth, and not the stomach.

Have fun.

I grew up in that area. Sheefish will bite any thing that looks like a minnow. You need to fish deep holes. 3/4+ oz. spoons. Do you know when & where you are going to float Kobuk? Sheefish on kobuk get big..

Quote Originally Posted by aksportfisher View Post
    I grew up in that area. Sheefish will bite any thing that looks like a minnow. You need to fish deep holes. 3/4+ oz. spoons. Do you know when & where you are going to float Kobuk? Sheefish on kobuk get big..
    I should be there from Aug.17th until the 29th. Maybe a few days before or after that depending on flights.

If the information I was given, and the information Ive read is correct, I should be in a whole mess of Shee during those 12 days.

I do have all sizes of spoons.

Lefty, thanks for the advice. I am planning on switching all my lures to single barbless. My only concern was if the motion on my swimming lures (yozuris and rapalas etc) would change. I'll test it out and if they dont wobble well, I just wont bring them. Not worth releasing dozens of bleeders just so I can use a certain lure.