Thread: good reading

Default good reading

Can anyone suggest a good book for an avid hunter/rifleman/outdoorsman

Quote Originally Posted by islander338 View Post
    Can anyone suggest a good book for an avid hunter/rifleman/outdoorsman
    There are literally hundreds of good choices, but my all time favorite, and I am confident someone will make fun of this is: Death in the Long Grass, by Peter Capstick. If you haven't read it, you'll enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    There are literally hundreds of good choices, but my all time favorite, and I am confident someone will make fun of this is: Death in the Long Grass, by Peter Capstick. If you haven't read it, you'll enjoy it.
    That's one of the best books ever, it's like Moby Dick for hunters, why would they make fun of you?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    That's one of the best books ever, it's like Moby Dick for hunters, why would they make fun of you?
    The reasons people make fun of me Andy are legion. However, the question of this book has to do with its veracity. It is an excellent read, but it is possible that more than a little bit of literary license was taken by Mr. Capstick concerning some of the most pertinent facts and torrid tales. Regardless, I agree with you; it is a classic and a treasure to read among all Africana books.

Concur there are hundreds of good ones... here are a few of my favorites. The Boddington books are generally technical with a lot of good hunting tales interspersed. The others are a mixture of Africa, Asia, and N. America hunting.

Safari Rifles- Boddington
    North American Hunting Rifles- Boddington
    Green Hills of Africa- Hemingway
    Death in the Long Grass- Capstick
    The Man Eaters of Tsavo- Patterson
    The Man Eaters of Kumaon- Corbett
    A Man Called Lion- Capstick
    Out of Season- Adams
    Walk Softly with Me- McLeod-Everett

Default Dangerous River

By R.M. Patterson. Goes into the wild with just a canoe, rifle and axe and survives.
    The Alaska Adventures of a Norwegian Cheechako, by Harald Eide. Goes into the wild with just a rifle and axe and survives.
    I like the Capstick stories too.

The first hunting story book I ever read was Use Enough Gun by Robert Ruark. Previous to that I'd read some of the books by O'Connor, Hagie, Truesdell and others, but they were much more technical and talked more about the hunt than the feeling of the hunt, which is what Ruark does for me. Eventually I managed to read most of his books, and while Horn of the Hunter is probably a better book, Use Enough Gun will always hold that special place in my mind and heart.

Default Great suggestions

I am an avid reader of alot of outdoor books and have a pretty big library ( if you can call a truckload of books stacked in a closet a library). As others have said Capstick is always a good read, and Bob Ruark is one of my favorites. Elmer Keith is good if you like to get a chuckle out of the pre cronograph days load development stories. Roy Dunlap is pretty interesting for gunsmithing, nice to see the old ways sometimes. The Lenora Conkle books are pretty good for Alaskan adventures, as is Last of the Great Brown Bear Men, about Pinnell and Talfison in the old days on Kodiak. One Mans Wilderness by Dick Preneke is a good one as well. I dont remember the author but Deer Camp, an American Tradition is a good read about the old time deer hunts in Maine, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and the like, with tons of wonerful old black and white pictures. John "Pondoro" Taylor is a good one if you like African hunting stories.

great.thx for all the suggestions

The camp cook and jester still has followers. The outfit he worked with has finely been shut down for good but to late for many.Robert Roarks Africa books are very good,poor mans Hemingway so to speak.Jim Corbett of India has a few fine books on hunting man-eater tiger and leopard.For discust read Prez Teddys African book,I believe he wounded half the game animales in Africa. Good bear hunting book about P&T outfitters Kodiac. For change of pace the trap line twins about the Collins sisters is top notch

Thumbs up oh yeah...

"Alaska's Wolfman", by Jim Reardon. "Yukon Trophies Won and Lost", "Track of the Kodiak" and/or "The Last of the Great Brown Bear Men". "Hell, I Was There by Elmer Keith". I have a bunch of books that I have read several times. It gets me through the winter and reminds me of the Alaska that was and never will be again....

Alaska's Wolfman by Reardon is hard to beat, especially for those of us that have stomped some of the same areas.....I've bought four copies and they all get borrowed and never returned.

The best grouse hunting books, bar none, were by Burton Spiller. Titles include Grouse Feathers, More Grouse Feathers, and Drummer In The Woods.

It was a dream of mine as a boy to meet him. I still remember my dismay when I learned he had passed away in 1973 when I was14-15 years old.

Never met Robert Wehle either, though I tried one time but he was ill. Just plain stupid to miss an opportunity like that.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Alaska's Wolfman by Reardon is hard to beat, especially for those of us that have stomped some of the same areas.....I've bought four copies and they all get borrowed and never returned.
    Errrrr, could I borrow a copy? I'm currently reading "Hunting Alaska's Far Places" by Reardon. Very interesting read.

Default Great list-thread...

with genuine "timeless classics" already listed. Of the few I've read, Frank Glaser's story (Alaska Wolfman) is one I could read over and over.
    I'd add Jim Posewitz's, Beyond Fair Chase.

Maybe not classic stuff, but books I've enjoyed recently:
    1. The Hunter's Guide to Accurate Shooting, by Wayne van Zwoll --some history of the rifle, then a lot of practical advice from several viewpoints - Olympic shooters, trick shooters, hunters. Besides the shooting advice, I esp liked his comments that what constitutes a good shot for one hunter would not be a good shot for another hunter.
    2. Hunting the Hunters, Rick Kinmon's book on predator hunting.

Great ideas!