Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitka brush hunt

Default Sitka brush hunt

Seeing all those open Kodiak island buck photos kinda gets me jealous because of how open it is. Then I went out and managed to sneak in really close to a nice rainforest buck. Wow, what a rush jump shooting a Sitka buck! Now I'm not feeling so jealous getting this buck in a thick tangle of rainforest is very satisfying and fun.

I kept the cape in good shape and will be trying to sell it. Its a premium Dec. cape and is very nice.

I drug this one down to the beach whole from about the 500' level. Whew....I hadn't done that for awhile and was a dripping steaming mess. The boat never looked so sweet.

Happy Holidays
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great buck, congrats. Wow, that is some thick stuff. Did you catch a glimse of him first, or were you just walking through and he jumped up in front of you? Good job

Default Ketchikan hunting = brush hunt too!

Bighorse
    I've been stuck on the road system here in KTN trying to find a buck and SE AK is definitely a tough place to hunt! That means I especially appreciate your managing to find such a great buck to bring home. Nicely done!

jim

Default No look

I didn't see him before he saw me. He bound twice and I heard him, saw him, snorted, and he stopped and the rest is history.

I was working a S. facing old growth timber ridge with good browse with the wind in my face. It was still hunting with very slow movement in the crunchy snow.

It was textbook and I was very pleased with the way it went down. I spend so much time in the woods and sometimes you have to hunt the sign. Its a big rainforest and sometimes it just doesn't pan out. This was a good hunt.

Thumbs up

Congrats on a great buck

Default Dark Horns

He's a beauty. I feel the same way loking at the photos of Kodiak but finding one in the thick is always satisfying. Real nice deer Bighorse.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Nicely done, sir. I haven't hunted Southeast, but I imagine it is somewhat similar to the old growth forest on Afognak. While I love Kodiak and would like to go back, I prefer still hunting the old growth on Afognak to hunting the wide open spots on Kodiak. My average shot on Afognak was under 30 yards, and there is just something electric about having animals appear out of the silence only a stone's throw from where you stand. Very, very cool and a nice contrast to sheep and caribou hunting.

Default Dec Buck ....

Sweet ....

was he eating again?

recovering from 'rut' action when they forget to eat?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

only time i got to hunt SE was on Wrangell. one year.. i actually STEPPED on a sleeping doe, that was under the back side of a log... not sure who was more frightened,,
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

Nicely done. I have always found a great deal of solitude in the timber. Seems like in just a few minutes I might as well be a thousand miles from everyone.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Sitka

A 500 foot elevation drag through the brush in Sitka could just about make you give up hunting especially with a little deadfall mixed in. Nice buck Bighorse

Default Eating and drag

Ya that drag was a rough one! There wasn't too much deadfall but by the end I was fatiqued enough to loose some coordination and took a few awkward falls. I had my dry bag and was ready to break him down but thought it might save me a little time doing the drag. It worked out and it was quicker. Good thing I've been working on Crossfit.

Muskeg....he was starting to eat and had a full belly.

I put the rifle away for the year tonight.

Holy cow, what a beautiful buck. You've had an awesome season, congrats. What an incredible way to top it off.

Chris

Congrats on yet another nice critter for the freezer. I've never figured out a scope will enough to use here in the S.E but a peep is easy for me,hard to figure. Oh ya you don't carry them down hill you chunk them till you get down to the flat.

Default rifle plug

The rifle is a Ruger M77 25-06 and I wanted to add that because it's been a very solid performing firearm for the past seven years. It's very deserving of anyones consideration as an Alaskan iron. It's been cared for upon going home but in the brush it's a walking stick most of the time and thats the honest truth. It holds zero with the Ruger rings and I use the scope as a handle. It's not pretty. It's not light. It just performs as a rifle should.

I'd like one in a 243 for my daughter.

Amigo....I didn't want to damage the cape...that notion of tossing it crossed my mind.

Great buck and a great hunt. Your sig line says it all.

Sitting here in Kuwait for the past two years has just about made me start sobbing from the tedium. We just about have it figured to be in SE this coming summer. (crosses fingers, rubs best rabbit foot, mumbles good luck charm, goes and reads some other threads. . . )

NICE!!

Im so pumped, leaving tomorrow for home. Finally get some blacktail hunting in this year.

Hopefully I will get one or two as nice as that little December buck!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post

I put the rifle away for the year tonight.

LOL only three weeks left to get it ready for next year!!!!!!!!!

gotta say you've had a good season. hats off to ya!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Good stories and congrats on hard earned buck.....Second to Crossfit style training to prepare for hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Nicely done, sir. I haven't hunted Southeast, but I imagine it is somewhat similar to the old growth forest on Afognak. While I love Kodiak and would like to go back, I prefer still hunting the old growth on Afognak to hunting the wide open spots on Kodiak. My average shot on Afognak was under 30 yards, and there is just something electric about having animals appear out of the silence only a stone's throw from where you stand. Very, very cool and a nice contrast to sheep and caribou hunting.
    Most of what I've seen on Afognak is way more open than southeast, I'm hoping to hunt the alpine there next season, pretty island, except the clear cuts
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast