Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Whittier Harbor Master Update

Default Another Whittier Harbor Master Update

OK I will admit it, I am at work and bored.

The last thread of this nature was on a letter back in August. I was serfing the web and found this one is dated October 2009 but would appear to be release in November? enjoy:

http://www.whittieralaska.gov/harbor...g_11-28-09.pdf

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Oh Boy, here we go again.

I like the part about determining how much it will cost to build and operate and what they will have to charge for it's use if they procede. Sounds a little feehikeish to me!
    Mike

Default Federal Funds

It seems there is federal money funding shovel read projects everywhere this year. Why can't they ask for matching funds at the very least to reduce the price?

I saw that letter some time ago, and when I reread it I am still left wondering what the point of it is.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I saw that letter some time ago, and when I reread it I am still left wondering what the point of it is.
    At least the Harbor Master is making an effort to keep us informed. It is better than what we had....

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default At least it's info

The City of Whittier Harbor Master at least put out some info, heard whins when there was none too.
    Free we all want it for free but how many things are free, operation budget, what is Sewards, Homer or Cordovia's and Whittiers, where does the money come from. Would say since the other city have a larger population maybe they have a tax base to draw a little money from, Whittier has a very limited population. But I could be wrong.
    I'm sure anything anyone wants to give them for free would be excepted, like 100 people and materails to rebuild a set of floats. Ha Ha
    Not like they have not made improvements since my first trip to Whittier in 1976 gee

I agree that the current harbor master is doing a great job. I did not mean to imply that I was complaining about the information, but it just seemed like there was more to the story than I was reading there and I was wondering if anyone knew what was really in the works.

As for fees, I woudl gladly pay double what I currently pay in Seward for a slip in Whittier. I wish we could do something to get things going in Whittier. I agree that is a small town, but I think the vast majority of who it serves are Anchorage and Mat-su residents and that we should have some pull to get some tax dollars spent there.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I agree that the current harbor master is doing a great job. I did not mean to imply that I was complaining about the information, but it just seemed like there was more to the story than I was reading there and I was wondering if anyone knew what was really in the works.

As for fees, I woudl gladly pay double what I currently pay in Seward for a slip in Whittier. I wish we could do something to get things going in Whittier. I agree that is a small town, but I think the vast majority of who it serves are Anchorage and Mat-su residents and that we should have some pull to get some tax dollars spent there.

The frustration of many of us. There are some in Whittier that would like to see the tunnel closed and are not for development. At lease they are trying with the harbor. It would be great if there was actually 2 harbors. One for recreational boaters and one for commercial. I often wondered what it would take (other than money) to clear the tanks and put in a nice facility there.

That reminds me any news of Shot Gun Cove and lots for sale? Sorry for getting off of thread.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

What about "stimulus money?" It seems that stimulus money is being used in other states to break up perfectly good sidewalks and pour new concrete. Commentator said the new sidewalk was not level !! A new harbor would be a better use of the funds (only if qualified people do the work).
    NRA Lifetime Member

Maybe take the $850,000 that's being spent on the new bus stop by the Anchorage museum and spend the money in Whittier instead. I wonder if Whittier has anyone who goes after "free" (your and my tax dollars) gov't money in the form of grants, etc.

As for a harbor where the old fuel tanks are, that area has been hosed since the big earthquake when the tanks ruptured and caught fire (I think). Seems like I heard the U.S. Corps of Engineers tried to sell that land to Whittier for a buck. Whittier was wise and passed on that liability.

Besides them tanks are a L O N G way from the water It would have to be a terribly long ramp, wouldn't it?
    mike

Default Come All

http://whittieralaska.gov/docs/Econo...%20REV%201.pdf

Whittier is having a meeting 3-20-10 5pm and 7pm!!
    Need all the feedback we can give them!
    Check out the Whittier Home Page

Thanks for pointing out this report. It is a pretty interesting read. $106 per foot per year for moorage by 2012, that should shorten the waitlist!

What they really need is a harbor about 4x as big as what they have. It would mean lower fees since the overhead and administration per slip would be so much lower, and it would drive enough people to Whittier to grow their local economy. It is amazing Whittier is so far behind compared to just about everywhere else in Alaska as far as the harbor size vs. demand is.

Maybe the high fees will be what it takes to get the expansion finally started, although it will be a shock for those that have based their business around the historical costs. So what are the odds of this going through, any insider information?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thanks for pointing out this report. It is a pretty interesting read. $106 per foot per year for moorage by 2012, that should shorten the waitlist!

What they really need is a harbor about 4x as big as what they have. It would mean lower fees since the overhead and administration per slip would be so much lower, and it would drive enough people to Whittier to grow their local economy. It is amazing Whittier is so far behind compared to just about everywhere else in Alaska as far as the harbor size vs. demand is.

Maybe the high fees will be what it takes to get the expansion finally started, although it will be a shock for those that have based their business around the historical costs. So what are the odds of this going through, any insider information?
    The whittidiots would think they could raise the price 4x because they had so many more stalls One of the first things is that the railroad has to make more land available (at a reasonable rate) for business's to get established over there. I once went to the railroad and asked to lease a parking spot by the tracks when you first come off the highway going to whittier so i could TRY and sell some pots, well they wanted a engineers report, some crazy distance away from the tracks and a bunch of other crazy stuff plus i'd have to apply about a year in advance for a maybe OK, and of course it would be a mear thousand bucks for the spot.
    Just keep trailering your boats, don't spend a dime more in ****tier than you have to and make sure you tell folks over there what you think about that whole operation of the harbor. One day somebody will 'get it"

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I just started reading the report, but it seems to ignore fundamental economics - people already feel it costs too much to go to Whittier, and raising the cost is only going to force people to make the economic decision - which is it's cheaper to use other alternatives. I understand that the tunnel fees are beyond the scope of what is in the City's control, but it's a factor that has to be considered.

At the same time, the City has to find a way to cover the costs. Surely the state can step in and spend some of its' billions on harbor improvements instead of dumping it elsewhere in the state for something that services far fewer residents . . .

Default Wow Steve, wana run for Mayor?

Just think of the pot stand you could run ifin you were to win their mayoral race? Seeing how this is still somewhat of a democracy, and a majority still rules, maybe we all need to aquire a whittier address. theres more of us than them and it would be a simple matter to put the pot builder behind the podium!
    Course they had that one mayor who drove off the train with his truck, BEFORE THE TRAIN STOPPED!
    Can you keep it between the lines Steve? Since there's no more train rides all a fellow has to do is bounce off the wall and come out the other end. Just think, you could sit on your butt all day selling gear and advice to all them "new towns folk" who voted you in!
    Mike, and yes I'm bored but, it's ticket day!

Default i could care less if they closed the tunnel

last year was the last straw for me...i had to pay twice to camp there. two different people were collecting that weekend and i had just launched my boat and was driving the trailer back to the camping spot. the gestapo was waiting for me just as you make the turn on the road to get to the campground and told me he noticed i didnt have a slip for camping for the past two days. i told him it was in the camper and that i had paid for the past two days, he didnt want to hear it so i had to pay again for the previous two days... i am so done with whittier

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    last year was the last straw for me...i had to pay twice to camp there. two different people were collecting that weekend and i had just launched my boat and was driving the trailer back to the camping spot. the gestapo was waiting for me just as you make the turn on the road to get to the campground and told me he noticed i didnt have a slip for camping for the past two days. i told him it was in the camper and that i had paid for the past two days, he didnt want to hear it so i had to pay again for the previous two days... i am so done with whittier
    I don't blame you! WPD, (Whittiers finest), stage themselves by the cruise ship terminal waiting to catch unsuspecting people going 26 in the posted 25 zone, then they race to the other end to catch the guy trying to make the tunnel. I got pulled over trying to get out of the place for going 37 in a 35. I pulled over and this Ford Expedition w/ full cherries and sirens shot gun the whole works, completely blocks the lane and out jumps this pint sized fella in full S.W.A.T. gear! this guy was strapped like he was apprehending an al qaeda operative LMAO!!!! needless to say I missed the last tunnel out ( I was fit to be tied). Yeah I agree w/ Steve continue to trailer your boats or go to Seward.

I'm not a "Whittier" guy (obviously) but I would like to drag my boat over there for a week or two during the season, either early or late, just for a different experience. I've explored that possibility and realized that each harbor (Whittier, Seward, or Homer) has its pros and cons (no pun intended). I haven't seen the upgraded launch ramp and I'm sure it's nice, but what I don't get, is why the place hasn't embraced the development of the whole harbor experience. As any harbor is, it would be a huge economic lightning rod if they didn't throw a wet blanket over everything. Do that many people in Whittier oppose the commerce and development, or am I wrong about that?

Before everybody becomes naysayers concerning the slip fees keep in mind this facility must pay for itself, i.e. the user fees must cover the cost of operation and maintenance of the existing infrastructure. Marine facility upkeep and construction are hugely expensive. Unlike the old days where the state paid for nearly everything involving maintaining the harbor, the city now owns the harbor and associated facilities. Potbuilder, previously the state of Alaska essentially subsidized the users' fees. Now, the users are the only real revenue base for this funding especially in a city with such a small populous tax base. If you want to use it you must pay for it. Just because the cost is significantly higher than what is considered traditional here in AK doesn't mean it isn't fair. Due to it's proximity to Anchorage, Whittier will never have a problem keeping it's slips full....something to keep in mind should you decide to leave.

The designed renovation/replacement of the existing harbor (new harbor) has been complete for a few years now but funding has has held it up. Anybody know where to get about $25M?

As was pointed out, the tunnel is completely independent of the city fees. However, it is a significant additional cost to consider and will factor into decision making as to where someone keeps/launches their boat. Factoring in fuel costs and travel time to drive further will make Whittier somewhat more attractive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast