Thread: '66 kodiak mag, Wall hanger?

Default '66 kodiak mag, Wall hanger?

Please take a look and let me know about this.
    I have never seen this before.

This bow belongs to a coworker, he leg strung it last weekend, the first time in 20 yrs.

Running my finger over the marks I can feel a raised area.

I was going to make a new string for him, but it has me concerned. what do ya'll think?

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    He who tries to tread on me
    will find himself in misery
    and this I promise faithfully
    upon my fathers name

He over stressed the lower limb! Dam it's a shame when folks do stuff like this through ignorance, no real fault of his own but this one may not be a shooter now. Usually when a swirled pattern appears it is a very early sign of delamination. You could try flexing it with a stringer while very carefully watching and listening to the effected area. If you note any changes or a soft sound like the crackle of leafs it's definitely done! If not you might be able to shoot it till it gets worse but I'm betting that would cause a terminal failure and possible injury to the shooter.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

For those who don't know using the step through method is OK for a strait or mildly reflex/deflex longbow, stringer is safer and better for your bow but you could get away with it. Do not string a recurve this way! Especially one with deep sweeping curves like a Kodiak magnum or a browning fury, use a stringer! Yes I know in the 50's/60's they used to recommend that you use the step through or leg method, however they didn't know the long term effects of repeatedly over stressing the lower limb which in most recurves is stress more to begin with.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I was afraid this would be the answer, O well...
    It really is a shame, very nice bow other than that.

Rick, I've been meaning to ask you what type of bows do you build?
    upon my fathers name

All "natural" long bows, both laminated and self bows. I should have a R/D trilam done in the next few days....I'll post some pics.

I really want to do a Grumley replica in the near future too, luckily I have a friend who owns a couple of Grumley bows so I'll be able to do direct comparisons and take measurements of an original.

Grumley is the bowyer who pioneered the laminated bow and basically got bear archery off the ground. Fred was a promoter and OK designer, not a bowyer! Grumley was the only bowyer in Bear archery history that was allowed to sign his bows. He left the company in 1948, he felt Fred's move towards mass production was unacceptable. The Grumley deer slayer is still considered by many the pinnacle of static tipped recurve bows.
    BHA Member

Something I have allways wanted to try, and I will someday...

Do you build to order? If so we should talk..
    I bought my first longbow last week (thunderstick mag) and I fell in love, so I just have to get another.

I guess I've hijacked my own thread
    upon my fathers name

Well I recived some more info.
    I went in back and spoke with the owner of the bow, I mentioned the spot in question. He said "that scratch? that was ther when I bought the bow in the early 70's"
    So I am going to build him a string and bring it back to work Monday, I will also bring a stringer, ane HE can put the new string on, I do not want to have to shell out the $$ to replace a bow that breaks.
    Thanks for the replies
    Scott
    If she blows, I'll post some pics.
    upon my fathers name

I suppose it could be a layup error in the original bow......hard to believe it would get past bears quality control but who knows?

With my own bows I usually make a bunch, then see who wants one. By building for myself I keep myself passionate about what I'm doing. Homerdave has shot one of my self bows, might ask him for an assessment. If you want to pursue a bow further please do so by PM. I can't afford to be a sponsor and don't want to offend anyone with the AOD nor take business from any of there sponsors.
    BHA Member

Rick,

I personally wouldnt step through a longbow either!!! They are twistable, though not as easily as a recurve.

I prefer the push pull but dont condone it to someone whose never done it without having someone around who really knows how to do it without getting hurt. Astring all around is the bestest way as we all know!

Scott,

I hope you're making that string out of b50!!! I wouldnt put any of the new materials (ff dynaflight dyneema etc etc) on her!

Agreed the best way to string any bow is a stringer.
    BHA Member

Well I gave the bow back to the owner today, With a new B50, brown/yellow flemish twist string,( it looks great on that bow) brown woolies.
    I did string it over the weekend to serve it, but NO WAY did I even try to draw.
    After I had it strung (this was a tense moment) I did pull the string a few inches while listening and didn't hear anything. So I don't know, but it's out of my hands now.
    I did convey my concerns to the owner, so it's on him now.

Thanks for all the input.
    Scott
    upon my fathers name

Oh yea, the first thing he says is " Can I string it" and starts to put his foot through the string. This was after telling him my concerns.
    I asked him not to, and told him that I brought a stringer with me.

He did stop and not string it...some people just don't listen, or don't just know it all...
    upon my fathers name