Thread: Maggots as Bait

Default Maggots as Bait

Sooo on another thread I heard maggots make good trout bait.
    I can get the powerbait kind locally but does anybody know any place in Alaska that carries live maggots?
    Most of the mail order places don't want to sell small quantities and I really don't want to order 5,000 of them.That and shipping prices might just kill the idea most websites require calling for shipping to Alaska.
    Anybody order these before? Where From?
    A few years ago they sold mealworms locally for one season and they obviously never caught on as it was a one year and gone thing.
    Maybe a few of us peninsula guys could get together and order some and split the cost?
    If I can find a place to sell me 500 or less I will probably order some for myself.
    Thanks for any and all information.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Wink

I used to have a successful maggot growing operation.... but it ended when the wife made me stop storing garbage in the shed...sorry

Good luck
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

I don't know why you would want maggots, they don't work, they scare fish away.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 12-11-2009 at 12:07. Reason: forgot a word.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default bait vs. artificial

Mealworms are low on the list for fish catching. Wax worms are very good. What I like the most are euro larva and they come in different colors. I've fished side by side with live and powerbait and I would say live performed slightly better but powerbait stays on the hook much, much longer. If I were closer to Kasilof I would get in on an order with you but I'm over 300 miles away. Good luck finding partner(s) on the peninsula.

Default Maggots

Yeah tcman thats part of the attratcion for me is the mixed color thing as well as their smell appeal.
    Of course I really don't think I will ever use them a lot as ordering fresh bait every time I leave the slope would be a big hassle. If I can find a place in Alaska that can send me some I might just try them though.
    One trick I have used with Raw shrimp is to color it with Badazz(yeah thats how they spell it on the jar)bait dye. a little goes a long way. put it in a closed container with some cut up and thawed shrimp and and shake it up. Haven't really seen my catch rates go up with this stuff but it can't hurt to change things up every now and then.

Live maggots was mentioned, is live bait leagal here???

Question Is live bait legal?

As a general rule live bait is illegal in Alaska.Except in saltwater and it must be caught in the same area you are using it in.
    Not sure that would include maggots. Then again how about live worms you dig yourself in the summer?
    I will have to do some research on this.Seems kinda silly as I believe the intent was minnows and small fish. No worries about a maggot infestion as I assume they would quickly drown.
    Then again if you met the wrong F&W trooper.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Live maggots was mentioned, is live bait leagal here???
    I was thinking the same thing
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Chris
    Try your local pet store.
    A good pet store will usually have maggots, meal worms and some even have crickets for sale as feed for lizzards, snakes etc.

I have had great results with the Berkely Gulp maggots... they are small, durable, and can be recharged in the "special" sauce if need be.... I get mine at Trustworthy in soldotna

Default For what it's worth

I've was fishing with a bud that loved to use nightcrawlers ice fishing. We were on Sand lake, got checked by a trooper and he didn't have any problem with the live worms. I know, it's not the end of discussion, but the trooper didn't have a problem with it, so I would be comfortable fishing with the worms again. My interpratation of the regs for live bait means live fish...at least thats what I have gleaned. Who knows I could be wrong, but then again its not like I like to use worms or maggots, I like the challenge of a lure. But bait(salmon eggs) is sure nice if I want fresh fish for dinner!!!

Tight lines

FM
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Talking

Maggots are great fish food. They love them. You can create your own Maggot Farm with some scrap meat and a cardboard box. Keep them in a corner where it is warm and you can have a never ending supply, just add scraps to the box every once in awhile.

When fishing with them, especially in winter it is absolutely imperative that you keep them warm and alive. The best way to do this is to keep a few in the cheeks of your mouth, sorta like you do with chew. Just take one out at a time and get it on the hook and into the water before they freeze. It really helps if you take a newbie along and have them help with this method.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Live Bait?

I did some searching on the net and couldn't find the states definition of live bait. I would naturaly assume they do not intend it to include worms, Maggots, wax wormw, meal worms etc.
    I might have to stop by the fish and game office next week to find out for sure. I would assume as frozenmarc said it was intended to mean live fish or shellfish.
    I wouldn't think you would be spreading a species as maggots are not a water species. Most of the are bottle fly larve.
    Akres I am not looking to raise my own just wanted a few to try.Out of curiosity though what do they use to color these things I know it has to do with something they feed them right?
    Drifter_016 i will definetly check our local pet store Thanks. Might stop by after visiting ADF&G Soldotna office as they are close by each other.
    For those who have said they are good bait for Trout and such where do you get your supply at? would like to get a few dozen in different colors to compare to my traditional baits.

Default keeping yoour bait warm

Akres I am not a newbie and so will not be keeping the maggots warm in my mouth.
    All the pros in my ice fishing videos keep them in insulated little screw lid plastic containers. About the size and shape of a hockey puck.
    Maybe someday you can demonstrate your "in the cheek" method for us all. Do you walk them to make sure they do their buisness before you put them in your mouth or does all of that add to their appeal to the fish.

i've used some dyed red and pink but i still think the white ones work better. as for putting them in your cheek that is a great trick for people who don't know any better but just keeping them in your inside jacket pocket will work just fine. the warmer you get them though the quicker they start to go out of the larve stage and will get hard and brown and will no longer make good bait as the warm temp speeds up their metabolism and triggers this change. I know a bait shop in montana that you might be able to have them shipped and not have to buy a million at a time. Ill find out details and post them soon.

Default live bait in Alaska waters

F & G refers to live bait as LIVE FISH not bugs an worms as far as I know, an you can use dead fish as long as it is not sport caught, if it is sport caught
    you can use the belly meat the part that is left on the GUTS when you clean the fish [head,fins, belly meat, guts] this is fresh water, there is some differance in SALT WATER, an what part of the state you are in, if I am wrong do let me know

SID

I'm not sure about Rez's idea of putting them inside your lip....not sure they would like Copenhagen all that much As for obtaining them up here, try grubs from the pet store. I used them last summer on stocked rainbows and my five year old could not keep the fish off his line!

Tight lines all...

Default Pretty sure...

... res was BSing us. Or maybe he likes the taste...

I am sure he was BSing us thats why I used the smiley faces.
    Then again you never know. What is that saying women have about Alaska men..... Alaskan men the odds are good but the goods are odd.

I just found out I have to go to Anchorage on Thursday I might check out sportsmans warehouse and see what kind of bait they carry. Maybe they have some maggots for me to try. Anybody been there lately to look?

Good luck with your fishing guys!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I am sure he was BSing us thats why I used the smiley faces.
    Then again you never know. What is that saying women have about Alaska men..... Alaskan men the odds are good but the goods are odd.

I just found out I have to go to Anchorage on Thursday I might check out sportsmans warehouse and see what kind of bait they carry. Maybe they have some maggots for me to try. Anybody been there lately to look?

Good luck with your fishing guys!
    If you don't find anything at Sportsman's, go nexy door to PetCo. They have a large assortment of worms.