Thread: e-callers vs. mouth calls -- success rates?

Question e-callers vs. mouth calls -- success rates?

While I fully understand the convenience factor of e-callers, I'm wondering if folks have seen a noticeable increase in their success rates since making the switch to an e-caller. Roughly speaking, how often are you able to call something in when using an e-caller as opposed to a mouth call? Have you noticed an actual increase in #'s, or is it just more convenient?

That's going to be a hard one to quantify here in AK where calling is tough, but I can relate to you my experiences calling outside of AK where the action can be relatively fast. BTW, convenience really doesn't exist w/ an e-caller. There's batteries in both units to keep track of, there's placing the caller then going and getting your position set up, there's trudging back to get you caller when you are done at the stand, there's more to carry, etc. With a mouth call you just grab your lanyard full of calls, mount your squeaker to your rifle stalk and go. Mouth calls are much more convenient! Granted you need to know how to call and have endurance.

The one big advantage of the e-caller is concealment of the hunter! The pred is looking for the location of the sound and not the hunter. You can setup a total ambush! With a mouth call the pred is looking right at you once he gets a line of sight. He can then make a decision whether things look suspicious. They can usually do this w/o you even knowing they busted you. Do you move/mount the gun? In the Southwest states hunting with an e-caller I have watched coyotes run right by me at a sprint heading for the sound. They would literally look right through me or around me and all but leap over me heading for the sound not even realizing I wasn't a bush or cactus. And since they aren't looking at you, you can slowly raise you gun, shift positions, etc. w/o being detected. A significant but lesser advantage of an e-caller is the ability to broadcast so many different sounds rapidly.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Well since i have only use mouth calls it is hard to say for me.. i like mouth calls for bears as i can typically spot them coming in and can readily change pitch to keep them interested. it been sevearl years since i did the varment calling but i had good success with it on fox, never did get a cay or yote on one.. i did call a large black wolf once up the steece, he busted us when the wife opend the truck door 40 yards away...

it does take a fair bit of stamina to call in the large preds..if you stop calling they slow down and loose interest. and i am still working on Calling in that Grizz... the balcks come right to it but no grizz yet..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I guess convenience was the wrong term - ease of use, maybe? I get that ambushing the predators would be easier with an e-caller, but I'm wondering if folks really noticed an uptick in their success rates.

Vince - You mention that if you stop calling that preds will stop coming in. I was under the impression that you should call for ~5min and then stop for another 5. That's what I did with the coyote that I got a couple of weeks ago. Is that not the right approach? Should I just keep wailing for 30 minutes straight?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i was talking bears brian, i have watched them coming across the flat and stopped calling and they nearly fall on their nose stopping. start to mill about and wander.. as soon as i have started back up they are on a bee line again... i think the smaller one will cast about more looking for you then the big ones.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have never heard of bear calling before and it has to be the most dangerous sounding activity I have ever heard of! I presume you do it where there are no trees so they can't surprise you?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles-C View Post
    I have never heard of bear calling before and it has to be the most dangerous sounding activity I have ever heard of! I presume you do it where there are no trees so they can't surprise you?
    your location says your in Healy... my place i hunt is just north of you 35 min.. plenty of trees there.. nothing like seeing those toes coming through the brush. to get your bladder working over time..

meet on face book here

Brian, different methodology in calling iteration between mouth calling and e-calling. Breaks in your calling with a mouth caller are necessary to rest and some think there is an advantage in getting the animal to come in when you take breaks because it takes the focus off the sound and hence, off the caller. Less chance of getting busted. Conversely, with an e-caller the preds run in, sneak in, whatever, while the sound is playing. When you stop calling they often stop and start looking around because the sound has disappeared. They start to take a more global look around rather than that pinpoint focus on the sound, that is when you are more likely to get spotted.

I have done both and I believe you have to conceal yourself in tighter cover when mouth calling due to your increased movement and activity. Also, I pity the mouth caller that blows steadily for an entire stand. He will not be making as many stands but he will sleep really good that night. You have to take breaks mouth calling.

I use both and have brought animals in with both but prefer my mouth calls. I carry 4 hand calls with different raspiness. Depends on your talent with a mouth call as to the success rates. If you're calling in crows, magpies and hawks, you're making the correct noises. I hunt with my dog and she always see's the animals before I do. A couple years ago I called a wolf in to within 10 feet of me. It came in from my blind side and I never knew it was there until my dog started growling.
    I use my electronic call at night when I want to get the noise away from me so that my eyes can concentrate on movement in the darkness.
    Just a case for having both.

You can call plenty of critters with both. An electric call is a great advantage for cats because they lose interest fast when the sound stops. Placing an electric call away from you is a great advantage during the day but at night the call must be next to you so you can see their eyes shining in your light. I do not recomend trying to hunt cats at night without a light.

Default Callers

I've used them both and have had much more success with the e-callers. I've called them, mostly Fox with the mouth calls, but have simply seen more with the e-callers. Add to the e-caller the built in decoys, and it's been a very hard to resist setup for a few critters. I'm pretty much, strictly an e-caller hunter now, unless I'm hunting with a partner and want to do some dual calling on stand in different directions. I found that many of the mouth calls are nothing but problems once the temperatures drop below -20. I don't typically place my caller more than 30 yards away from me, so it's not that much extra work. With the speaker aimed in the right direction, you can pretty much figure where the animal will pop out if you sit still and they don't bust you. With the newer, smaller units, batteries have lasted me over 3 days of solid hunting. You can easily recharge the AA's in the vehicle or snowmachine as well, so that hasn't been an issue like a few of the older, larger e-callers. All of the animals that have come in to the e-caller have done so with custom sounds that I've put together on the computer. Most of these are around 20-30 seconds of distress sounds followed by 15-30 seconds of silence, and on and on...until the Owl hoots at the end of the sequence letting me know that my time is up and it's time to move on.

Default Just my experience

While I have called in alot of critters with mouth calls, it hasn't been but this winter that I've been useing a e-caller. I was starting to have my doubts as I was calling and calling with nothing showing, but I think it was more my judgement of locations that didn't have anything to call, so a e-caller or mouth wouldn't of worked. But as you can see on the two videos I've put up the lynx came in 22yds of me and didn't know I was there until I moved the camera, and the fox never knew I was there. I'll pack some mouth calls with me, cuz you never know when the batteries will die on ya and also to throw a response to the coyote howls from the caller I'll throw some of my own in along with it, since I'm by myself most of the time it's my way of making it sound like there is more than one. I will say this though, the sounds of the rabbits on the e-caller sure sound nice!!