Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping in the Wild

Default Camping in the Wild

My brother and I are planning a camping trip for 7 days in mid june. We are both 18 years old and we have a fair amount of experience in the out doors. We are looking at the Stampede trail, Chugach Park or Denali. We want to be able to shoot, have camp fires, and not see another person for the time we are there. We are planning on hiking in as well. Is it true Denali has a no camp fire rule? We are hoping to hunt small game, with a 30 30 lever action and a 12 gauge. Any advice on where to go? Thanks for any insight.

I find that asking questions on public forums takes too long to obtain accurate information. I prefer to search for my own answers directly from the sources.

June is tourist season so any trail or road will have people on it.

Why not review the rules at the Denali NP website?

For hunting rules there is nothing better than reviewing the state regulations. For the majority of the areas you have mentioned the only small game open in June is hare. Shoot any other small game and you are poaching. You can hunt black bears with an over the counter tag.

If you are on a trail connected to a road you will more than likely see another person during your seven days. Access is too easy. Either fly into a remote lake, or drive far way from anything with a brochure connected to it. There are many areas off of the Denali highway that you can just walk into and be alone for weeks at a time because there is no reason for anyone to be there until August when hunting starts up.

The Stampede Trail is now filled with mooney eyed Hippies out to find an "Into the Wild" connection with Alexander Supertramp at Bus 142. Lots of unsheared beaver I am told, most of them hungry and in need of counciling.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have a feeling you were refering to Denali state park after chugiak?

rough contry that.. easy to get away from others. you will want to read up on hunting in unit 13 and that portion with in the state park..

where you coming from, ?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I thought that might be the case about the Stampede Trail. Yeah Denali Highway looks great. That isnt in Denali State Park right? I checked its wikipedia and it says its okay to camp there. How would you recommend getting to the highway from Anchorage? Were probably going to fly into Anchorage from San Francisco. Do you think we need tags to just shoot like squirrel and rabbits and off of the Denali Highway? Thanks for any information you guys have. Appreciate it a lot

Never, ever use wikipedia for source info on things like laws and regulations. It is NOT an official document and has NO credibility as it is nothing more than a public access blog.

You've been given links to the real websites. Use them.

Read the small game regs and you'll know exactly what you can and can't shoot...

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...dfs/smgame.pdf
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by reedm View Post
    Do you think we need tags to just shoot like squirrel and rabbits
    no tags but a hunting license is needed...I'd reconsider the 30-30 if you're hunting squirrel/rabbits....lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    no tags but a hunting license is needed...I'd reconsider the 30-30 if you're hunting squirrel/rabbits....lol
    Na t... Denali. Hwy Squirrels are the largest in state.. some of them are running 5-6 oz.... 30-30 head shots are near mandatory to kill them..other wise they dive in the hole and are lost.. some would be Boone and Crockett for sure if the skull measures out good....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Good point...

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post

Yeah, a 30-30 may not be quite enough gun for rabbit...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yeah your right 30.30 definitely isnt enough. I think we will upgrade to a 500 Nitro Express. That might have a chance at taking down a rabbit or squirrel. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get to Chugach State Park or Denal Highway or Carter Lake from Anchorage?

Yeah your right 30.30 definitely isnt enough. I think we will upgrade to a 500 Nitro Express. That might have a chance at taking down a rabbit or squirrel. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get to Chugach State Park or Denal Highway or Carter Lake from Anchorage?
    well if you get yoursefl a map.. you will see the highway leaving anchoarge kind of goes to all the places your looking for. we only have three main roads up here still.. Chugiak.. state park is well.... in and out and part of Anchorage,

meet on face book here

Yeah sorry my questions are vague. Were only 18 so we cant rent a car. If we cant rent a car, is there a way youd suggest we could get to Denali State Park, or Chugach State Park, or Carter Lake or Denali Highway either from Fairbanks or Anchorage?

Yeah sorry my questions are vague. Were only 18 so we cant rent a car. If we cant rent a car, is there a way youd suggest we could get to Denali State Park, or Chugach State Park, or Carter Lake or Denali Highway either from Fairbanks or Anchorage?

You can use the Park Connection which is a bus line that connects most, if not all of the areas you have listed.

Another alternative, and one I did at your age and enjoyed immensely, is to get a copy of Backpacking Alaska and study up on where you want to go. Load up your gear, fly into Anchorage, catch a cab to the outskirts of town, and stick out your thumb. The ShoeLeather Express will afford you the ability to see a lot more of the State, you'll be able to branch off onto inviting looking trails, areas, and your trave overhead while in State will be minimal.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Where did you go when you were our age? Is there somewhere in particular you would recommend we go to?

Where did you go when you were our age? Is there somewhere in particular you would recommend we go to?

LOL thats a LOADED question to be asking our hippie... he went some where... to bad the hand basket caught fire on the way down!!!

meet on face book here

Malibu beach and Viet Nam but that was 1965

Yeah sorry my questions are vague. Were only 18 so we cant rent a car. ?

So you can't rent a car? How about a bush plane? Have them take you out in the middle of nowhere and drop you off. You could do a float trip with a rented raft, having a pickup down river 10-12 days later. Just you, your buddy, wildlife, and great fishing along the way. My wife and I do it every year. My suggestion is arctic Alaska. NW is where I am most familiar, but I have trips planned in Gates of the Arctic and ANWR. Tons of options for a float trip, some more suitable for a first float trip than others. You want to see Alaska, this is a great way to do it. It is easier to do than you might think. If the below picture catches your attention, shoot me a PM. A few days of hiking to start the trip, return to the raft and float 50-80 miles to one of a few pick up points.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

If you are thumbing it you might want to leave your trip open ended. If you have a fixed date to catch a flight you will end up worrying about it too much and not have fun.

Once the "bus" drops you in Cantwell at the west end of the Denali Hwy you will be on foot down the dirt road we call a highway. If you get far enough in, you may not have a lot of luck finding a ride back out to the paved road to make it to town to catch your flights.

If you stick to the paved roads like the Parks Hwy where Denali State Park is you will have better luck getting back to town.

One of the cool things about Chugach is that it is right here and once you are 3 hours into it you are more than likely going to be alone until the weekend. You can take a cab to one of the trail heads (I recommend Near Point) and off you go for your week of fun in the rain/bugs/sun/bugs/snow/bugs/wind/bugs.

Not a lot of rabbits or squirrels back in CSP in most areas due to lack of cover. Plus our squirrels are more like your chip monks in size. You might even have bigger chip monks. But they are tenacious.

If it were me, I'd just leave the guns home. It really looks like you are going to get stuck either riding the train, riding a bus, or hitchhiking. While it's legally possible to pack your guns with you, it's going to definately slow you down and cause difficulties as you move along.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Guns

I'm a firm believer in carrying a gun for bear protection, but as for hunting in the summer months...bird hunting doesn't open for a couple of months, the rabbits will very possibly be carrying babies (removing babies prior to cooking is not fun for most folks) and the squirrels, well, it could easily take all day to kill enough to make a meal and they're not generally considered to be the finest tasting game in AK.

Why not consider a lake with good fishing as your destination, bring a .44 or some bear spray for protection if desired and plan to spend a week hiking around, enjoying the scenery and catching some fish. Crescent lake would be a great trip and if you camp in the middle of the lake, rather than at either end, you will not likely see too many other folks except just passing through. You could also consider hiking the Resurrection Trail, which can easily be a week long trip, with numerous lakes and a couple of streams along the trail that hold fish. If you really want to get ambitious, look at a topo map ahead of time, find a lake just over the mountains in one direction or the other, and bushwhack over to it. Just be advised that the mountains here are not as easy to hike as most in the lower 48. They look easy enough from the road or trail, but once you get going, you find that what looked like easily navigated brush ends-up being 12 ft tall alders and the trails through them are made and frequented by the local bear population.

It's still possible to do the "Supertramp, Into the Wild" thing but I think there are other trip ideas that would be much more enjoyable for you in the long run. For even the most adventuresome, a week long hike on one of the more difficult trails on the Kenai Peninsula can be plenty wild!

If you decide to go this route, check-out Homer Stageline http://thestageline.net/ for transportation from Anchorage. I'm sure they'd be happy to drop you anywhere along the way that you'd like to go and they would certainly know most of the major trails you might want to hike.

Good luck.

Doug; Scotts... come one for real now....

these guys are 18. leaving San Fransico.. with a 30/30.... they have to cross state lines now as it is to shoot little things with out getting sued for animal murder, or leaving lead in the country side.... let'em bring the guns.... John Wayne will be proud of them when they are finished......

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast