Thread: Sourdough recipes and general help wanted.

Default Sourdough recipes and general help wanted.

I'm on this sourdough kick and have a recipe for sourdough starter, pancakes and biscuits. Starter has been alive for about 6 days. It's not too sour but I made some flap jacks yesterday morning. They looked great, a little rubbery and really flat. Taste was alright, not nearlly sour enough (Not like Peggy's of Anchorage which are perfect)

My biscuits last night were the family joke, wife and 4 yr old son wouldn't touch it w/ a 10 foot pole, my 7 yr old thinks I'm God though and ate like 3 of the things, but he'll eat anything I shoot and fry up just because I do. Anyhow the biscuits had no rise to them at all and looked like little piles of dog crap on the cookie sheet. My boy dropped his biscuit last night and my wife aid it scratched the hardwood floor...But hey, I've never made bread or dough, so I just mashed it in a bowl by hand.

I'm thinking that the longer the sourdough sits the more sour it will become. Anyone add milk to theres? Any pointers or good recipies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Billy

It definitely needs more time. I feed mine 1/2 cup of floor mixed with 1/2 cup of luke warm water once a week. I also add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to the flour and water mixture.

Make sure your starter is able to breathe, don't seal it tight. Mine sits on the counter in a small crock and has a loose fitting lid to allow the breathing to take place.

It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Default try this

I am an old widowed bachelor now but do like the sourdough stuff. This is how I make hotcakes. I cook these at moose camp and everyone gobbles them up. I do most of the measuring by eye.

Night before make your batter. A cup or more of starter and lets say 2 cups flour and 2 cups water. Mix together and put in bowl with dishcloth to cover. Lets it breath. Adjust your batter more flour thicker pancakes less flour thinner pancakes.

Next morning you should have a bubbly batter with yeast smell. Kinda like a big sponge sort of. Take some batter out to put back in your sourdough pot so you can keep the start going.

Mix an egg , some oil (1/3 cup), some salt, some sugar (2 tablespoons), and fold this into your bowl with the batter . Take about a teaspoon of baking soda and mix with 2 or 3 table spoons water and fold this into the batter. Batter will foam up and expand due to the action of the soda and sourdough. Start cooking right away cause the batter will kinda unfoam after awhile. I put the sugar in because I think it helps the hotcakes brown better. Experiment with the oil,salt,sugar, and baking soda. and batter consistency. Careful not to much soda cause it can alter the taste. There is no wrong way on this stuff just do what feels right. My 2cents anyway.

Now sourdough biscuits those are a challeng.

Default Sourdough basics

You can make your initial sponge out of regular pancake batter left out for a few days on the counter, or you can mix up a batter of flour and potato water and let it ferment. Wild yeast spores will settle on your batter.

Never use metal bowls nor spoons on the sponge or batter, it will inhibit growth.

Sourdough loves sugar and warmth. Feed it weekly to keep it from getting the red or green mold.

To make pancakes, mix in more water, flour and sugar the night before, then next morning mix one cup flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tbsp sugar in a bowl, then add one cup of the sponge (also mix some flour and water into the remaining sponge to keep it for next time). Egg is optional. Get your griddle hot and greased up. Next add enough warm water to make a thick batter, and distribute this to two smaller bowls. Now mix 3/4 tsp. baking soda into 1/4 cup water with your pinky and microwave for 10 seconds on high. Pour half of this soda water into one of the smaller bowls and mix it briskly. It should fizz up. Pour this batter onto the hot griddle and cook as any pancakes. After the first little bowl id used up, do the same with the other bowl and the remaining soda water. You can drop in most any kind of berry before flipping the pancakes.

Default Biscuits

Try this,
    This is a fool proof biscuit recipe which I found in the Cooking Alaskan cookbook and modified a little to suit my taste. First, set your sponge by taking ˝ cup of your starter along with one cup water and one cup flour. Let that sit for 7-8 hours in a warm kitchen, which should result in a bubbling mixture.
    Next, add 1 cup flour into the sponge and mix.
    Now in a separate bowl mix the following dry ingredients together: ˝ cup flour, ˝ teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder and ˝ teaspoon baking soda. Add these mixed ingredients to the sponge and mix. You’ll be able to start with a spoon, but soon you’ll have to get messy with your hands and before you know it, you will have created a nice dough mixture.
    Toss this mess on the counter top, knead lightly and flatten it out with your hands to a thickness of 1 ˝”. Cut with a biscuit cutter, coat biscuits lightly with butter or your favorite oil of choice and place in a pan close together all snuggly like. This dough will start rising immediately, but if your kitchen is on the cool side, let the biscuits sit for 10 or 15 minutes before placing in the oven. I use a 10” cast iron fry pan to bake them in. Cook at 375 degree F. for 22 minutes.

No sugar, please! (IMHO) Potatoe water and flour to start. feed with milk a nd flour or potatoe water and flour or plain water and flour. But no sugar.

donuts

Mix:
    1C sourdough
    1 cup sugar
    4 Tbls shortening
    4 C flour
    2 tsp baking pwdr
    2 eggs
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2/3 cup sour milk or buttermilk

Sift dry ingredients, stir into liquid, roll our and cut. (Very sticky, add minimum flower when rolling, or patting- unless you like hockey pucks)

Heat oil to 390 and fry. I use the inside of a Pam lid to make donut holes only. Cool for a bit and dust with sugar or cinnamon and sugar.

Eat some, freeze some(if you can). they are really good after freezing.

Don't forget to reserve some starter before you mix everything.

Michael