Thread: laptop GPS???

Default laptop GPS???

Has anyone bought the software and gps to use your laptop as a chartplotter? i am in the market for on and i am looking at this setup as a way to go. i already have an inverter setup on my boat 2556 bayliner so keeping the laptop charged is not problem. i have garmin rino with the bluechart maps as back up is this system failed. i would rather have my depth sounder seprate from my gps so if one fails i still have the other sorta thing. Thanks Trevor

I can't say that I've used the laptop GPS, but a charter boat captain out of Ninilchik last year was using a laptop GPS. He really liked it and preferred it over the normal GPS for ease of use and screen size. It must be reliable for him to use it in a charter operation. Just my $.02 though.

I used a laptop system in addition to my Lawrance unit for a couple of years in muy old boat. I liked the large screen as compared to the Lowrance. My only problem was it was hard using the mousepad in bouncy conditions, the curser would get lost and hard to spot when jumping around. In smooth conditions or stopped I loved it. My new boat has a Garmin 5212 so don't use the laptop anymore.

thanks for the good info so far i never thought about the mouse being hard to use while under way but that could be overcome with and differnt mouse. if i do it i would have a laptop just for the boat.

what kinda of software did you use for it?

Thumbs up Laptop is Great for GPS & Movies

I used a blutooth GPS puck (cordless and rechargable) from ebay for $30. I kept it on the dash for reception. A bluetooth dongle ($20) for a usb port on the laptop (some new laptops have bluetooth built in) and software I found on e-bay for $10. I think it was called Tsunami 99. Worked great. It went with my last boat. Bottom line was, I converted a 17 inch screen laptop into a very powerful GPS for $60. I'm going to get another setup this summer. Check out this site for free navigation software:http://freemarinecharts.madpage.com/
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

I thought about getting a wireless mouse, one of the handheld ones, but never got around to it. On my bosses boat (read yacht) I have used a handheld wireless mouse for his computer based nav software (Nobeltech) which worked well. His boat is a smoother ride than mine, over 60,000 pounds.

I used Coastal Explorer in my laptop. Software seemed good and easy to use, except when the mouse was needed to do stuff. I used the built in Lowrance for the gps feed, so no complete redundancy. I now have a usb gps antenna which I used on a trip fron Seattle to Juneau which worked good.

I'm not a big water type like most of you guys, but I do make a few 200 to 500 mile trips on the interior rivers every summer. I really like my laptop GPS. It's like looking at scrolling USGS maps that I can zoom in and out. I use a Panisonic Toughbook with DeLorme software and when I drove outside last year it worked well in the truck too.