Thread: Harris Bipod

Default Harris Bipod

Want to get a Harris Bipod for my 223 used for predator hunting but would also like to be able to fit it to my sheep rifle. What lenght should I get? pivoting or non pivoting? Channeled legs with 1" notches or smooth legs? There are so many models to choose from and there kind of spendy so I want to make the right choice the first time. While predator hunting I am usually kneeling or sitting when shooting. Anybbody ahve any experience with Harris or is there a better brand? HELP!
    In the Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Akjaq View Post
    Want to get a Harris Bipod for my 223 used for predator hunting but would also like to be able to fit it to my sheep rifle. What lenght should I get? pivoting or non pivoting? Channeled legs with 1" notches or smooth legs? There are so many models to choose from and there kind of spendy so I want to make the right choice the first time. While predator hunting I am usually kneeling or sitting when shooting. Anybbody ahve any experience with Harris or is there a better brand? HELP!
    You should do a search on the forum as I've seen this question around here before. IMO Harris makes excellent bipods and they are my first choice when I use a bipod. A pivoting bipod is much better in the field IME. It is faster and sturdier. As for height, you should determine the shooting positions you'll most likely use and buy the right height for that position. There is some overlap, but IME the 25H is a little high for prone. I like smooth legs, but I can see why some might like notched legs. If you want you can easily adjust the smooth legs to various heights with the friction knob on the legs.

Harris makes a really nice bi-pod. The swivel notched one is the only way to go. I have the 9-13 and it serves me well. That being said, they are too heavy for me for hunting conditions. There are many home-made plans/designs for shooting sticks on the internet that would work better for predator hunting and they are way cheaper. For sheep hunting just use your walking sticks.
    Henry Bowman for President

For shooting from a sitting position, a pair ski or trecking poles with the loops crossed makes for a very useful rest, that does double duty.

Hence to me the 9-13 for shooting from the bench or prone makes the most sense.

Harris makes a really nice bi-pod. The swivel notched one is the only way to go. I have the 9-13 and it serves me well.
    Just got that one ( Model- LSM) here the other day primarily for use on my Savage .17HMR. I'd been using a friend's on another rifle for a couple years and only my stingy, tight-fisted Scotishness has kept me from getting one of my own until now.

I wouldn't go with another manufacturer as I've seen too many complaints about them and none that I can recall about the Harris.

If you want to use it on an AR, I'd check to see if you need an adaptor to mount it. The bipod as is, mounts to a conventional sling swivel stud. The literature I got in the package shows different adaptors for various makes, models and configurations of rifles and even handguns that may not necessarily have a front sling swivel stud.
    Now what ?