Thread: Lodge fees vs. day fishing and a B&B??

Default Lodge fees vs. day fishing and a B&B??

I have a question about lodge fees vs. day fishing and a B&B?

I've only been up to AK once. My wife and I stayed in Wasilla and fished the Little Su, and in Soldotna and fished the Kenai. Both times we stayed in a B&B (about $150 a night for the two of us) and fished with guides (about $100 to $200 per person, per day).

We're going back next year. When I looked into fly-in lodges, the going rate is about $1200 for 3 days of fishing and two nights lodging PER PERSON, not including round trip air from Lake Hood.

If three days of fishing would cost me $300 - $600 per person, what am I getting for my extra $600?

Since there's two of us, we're spending $1200 for three days food and two nights lodging? Does that seem like a lot to you?

For $1200 I can stay in a Five Star hotel for a few nights.

Am I missing something here?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

It really depends on the type of experience you want. The Susitna and Kenai and Kasilof are surely not wilderness rivers and it is an urban setting pretty much all around. I have stayed at lodges with 700 thread count sheets, gourmet meals and a guide, with a boat or aircraft for every 2 anglers. I have also stayed in one camp that consisted of yurts (tents) on platforms, meals were pretty much what we caught that day and I had to arm wrestle mosquitos to get into my bunk but most of the anglers we saw were from our small camp. I'd check out the lodge that interests you very carefully to ensure you get what you want. Waterfall in southeast is one of the nicest lodges around and fishing success is very high for salmon, halibut and rock fish. Another exmple is Lake Creek....its a fly in area but there are 8 or 9 lodges clustered in a very small area and you have to compete with a lot of other anglers for the fishing spots. Your might as well go for a lower cost option and stay with the urban fisheries. You could even stay at the Sheraton, Marriott or Hilton in Anchorage and fish Ship Creek from the bank with a high degree of success, low cost, and all of the fine dining and entertainment available in "Los Anchorage". I guess it is all about the type of experience you want and you will have to do some research to be sure you get it. The magazine Fish Alaska has run a number of articles over the years about various lodges and fly in trips and might help you determine what would best meet your needs. Best of luck

most of the cheap lodges fly you to insane places and by insane I mean combat fishing. The susitna drainage is busy no matter where you go by anything but foot. If you walk a bit though you get prime fishing waters to yourself. Now more pricey lodges can be awesome and secluded spots. Beware of Lake Creek, and Deshka River. Also don't go to the Talaview lodge I worked there and all of the guides quit and I'm sure keep quitting because the managment is very bad. I can recomend Talahiem and Ken's Alaskan Adventures (or alaskan guide service I forget) Mark at Talaheim flies you in helis to middle of nowhere spots with big bows, and ken fishes out of skwenta and while he goes to some semi crowded waters he always outfished all of our boats (if my clients knew how to fly fish they wouldn't have outfished my guys but you know)

If you are looking to save money do what I do, stay in cheap hotels or camp and walk and fish, your legs are your best bet to get away from crowds short of helis anyway

P.S. If you know what you are looking for and can give me a budget, fishing experiance leval, gear type, timing, I can help you figure out an itinerary.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

ysr racer

any interest in fishing POW private message or e me see profile

Capt. George

check your pm's

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    I have a question about lodge fees vs. day fishing and a B&B?

I've only been up to AK once. My wife and I stayed in Wasilla and fished the Little Su, and in Soldotna and fished the Kenai. Both times we stayed in a B&B (about $150 a night for the two of us) and fished with guides (about $100 to $200 per person, per day).

We're going back next year. When I looked into fly-in lodges, the going rate is about $1200 for 3 days of fishing and two nights lodging PER PERSON, not including round trip air from Lake Hood.

If three days of fishing would cost me $300 - $600 per person, what am I getting for my extra $600?

Since there's two of us, we're spending $1200 for three days food and two nights lodging? Does that seem like a lot to you?

For $1200 I can stay in a Five Star hotel for a few nights.

Am I missing something here?
    Sounds about average for a flyin lodge package to me; see alot of that sort of thing at fishing shows/on web.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies. You hit the nail on the head. I was looking at Lake Creek resorts. For about the same price as 2 days up there, we can stay in Wasilla and Soldotna and fish / fly-out fish for 5 or 6 days.

My wife and I are both novice fishermen, so we need gear and guides. I write for a shooting magazine and cover an event in Wasilla at the Grouse Ridge Shooting Grounds, so that’s our starting point.

Our budget is about $3000 (fishing and lodging) for the both of us, not including airfare (I use air miles) or food. Some / most of the places I’ve looked at are $600 - $800 per person, per night. You can see that would eat up our budget in a hurry. Plus, we live in southern California, and Alaska is a long way to go for a two-day vacation.

As far as what we want to fish for, we fished for kings on the Kenai this year on “Super Tuesday”, and it was WAY too crowded. We won’t make that mistake again. There were no reds when we were there, so we ended up fishing for silvers in the Little Su. For a couple of first timers we had FUN and caught fish. At least with silvers we got to fish, as opposed to just riding around in a boat waiting for a king to bite (they didn’t).

The event that I’m covering is the first weekend in August next year, so that’s our time frame.

I’ve heard that June on the Kasilof is less crowded than July on the Kenai. Is that true? Jimmie Jack’s has a five-night, four-day fishing package that’s in our price range. Does anybody have any feedback on them? I’d sure like to catch a king

Thanks again for all your help.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

Jimmy Jack, his dad and uncle operate three boats out of Kenai Riverbend Campground - campground is operated by the Cho family. They have some rustic rooms in their old lodge and some pretty plush cabins. Not sure if that is where Jimmy Jack would put you up - be sure and ask. There is also good fly-in fishing with Alaska West - they run a first class operation with turbine otters and beavers and such. I'd check with them as they send out groups with guide and gear for about $300 per person - at least that was the cost two years ago, the last time I went with them. Also try the Sports Den in Soldotna - Jim Golden has a very good reputation and books fly ins, salt water and Kenai/Kasilof. Good luck

Red face

I think you've figured out what many people have ... it's what we base our operation on

Way overpriced rooms & board ... you can get some failry nice accommodations in packages and eat like a king at a number of restaurants for a lot less money.

June is far and away the busiest month on the Kasilof ... although still nothing like the Kenai in July, and even if caught in the middle of a crowded spell, it's still all drift traffic and pretty mellow.

Guides in the know on the river have tricks up their sleeve to fish away from the masses ... since it's a tidal fishery for many of us, you don't have to spend time in the terminal area to see good action.

Most guides in the area flip-flop between the Kenai and Kasilof ... based on closure days, ease to book, and timeframe. There are roughly only a dozen or so guides that solely fish the Kasilof throughout the summer ... the two longest full-time guides on the river happen to be myself and the guide that introduced me to the river many years ago ... he now happens to work for us most of the time

A sidenote on Gusdog's post: most fly-out prices have incresed significantly in the last few years as a result of gas / insurance / COL increases ... the $300 trips of a few years ago run roughly 15-20% across the board for all the fly-out services in the area.

floridafisherman

checked but no PM?

try my e address in profile Capt George

I think he meant me. I got one from him.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

Thank you for all the replies, both public and private. We’ve agreed the best trip for us (which I’ve already booked) is the first full week in August:

We’re going to stay in Wasilla at the Kozy Cabins for a few days and fish the Little Su, the Deshka and do a fly-out to Lake Creek.

Then we’re driving down to Soldotna and staying in a really nice B&B called the Spurrview House, we’ve stayed here before and really like it. Here we’re going to do a couple of fly-outs across the bay to Big River lakes. We may add in one day with Jimmy Jack on the Kenai.

I figure the whole trip will cost us about $3000 for the two of us, not including airfare to Alaska or food while we’re there. That’s about half of what it would have cost us at one of the fly-in lodges. While I certainly enjoy a good meal, I don’t think my wife and I will eat $3000 worth of food in one week.

Again, thanks for all the replies.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

I'd look into flying to the tal instead of lake creek as lake creek is a zoo, check with Ken's Alaskan Adventure or willow creek resort they both do a pretty good job their.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.