Thread: Eyak

Default Eyak

My family is heading to Cordova in the 3rd week of June. Apparently Reds will be heading up the Eyak River, and I will bring my 7 wt sage. Has anyone fished this river for red salmon, and what line should I tie on? Sink line? Is this a fast flowing river? (I know this is similar to the last post but this is a more specific question)
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Eyak

Quote Originally Posted by wildog
    My family is heading to Cordova in the 3rd week of June. Apparently Reds will be heading up the Eyak River, and I will bring my 7 wt sage. Has anyone fished this river for red salmon, and what line should I tie on? Sink line? Is this a fast flowing river? (I know this is similar to the last post but this is a more specific question)

Wildog,

7Wt is fine yes the Reds will be coming in and the lake does have a Cut population as well. There is access right at the Bridge water is fairly deep but a standard WFF line is fine with split shot. Current is not bad compared to the Kenai. Depth Charging more than likely will not increase your catch rate.

You also need to drive in the other direction and fish the Lagoon. Kings should be there in numbers easy pickens in my opinion Fish the Ocean side of the culvert for more fun.

Hope this helps. Tight Lines!

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

Thumbs up Thank you for the quick reply

Appreciate it. This is our first trip to anywhere off the road system and I'm really looking forward to it. I was wondering about the kings there, I had read that the would be in that time of year. I'm bringing a 16 foot boat with a small motor, will it be useful for those kings, or will I be just casting from shore? Thanks.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Just casting from Shore

Quote Originally Posted by wildog
    Appreciate it. This is our first trip to anywhere off the road system and I'm really looking forward to it. I was wondering about the kings there, I had read that the would be in that time of year. I'm bringing a 16 foot boat with a small motor, will it be useful for those kings, or will I be just casting from shore? Thanks.

No need for a boat to chase the Kings you can walk around the enitre lagoon with ease.

I know you will have fun. Cordova over the years has had an increase pressure on its local fisheries from Lodges and the like, but still one heck of a trip! Bring Rain Gear :-)

Oh yeah, fishing Hippy Cove! Good times.