Thread: yamaha raptor 660

Cool yamaha raptor 660

i have a raptor 660 here and it frikin sucks, whats the deal if the oil tank up in front of the engine is plum full? i never filled it that much! have you guys ever encountered this problem before? there is an oil leak somewhere also. there is so many things wrong with this thing. maybe i should give it back to my buddy before it breaks!

The Raptors are fun when it's within the designs element. What a fun machine at Knik during the summer. I've worked on the raptor before and most problems, in my experience, were caused from neglect and abuse. The 660 yami motor has been around the block and stuffed into both the Raptor and Grizzly. Strong, reliable, and full of torque is how I would describe this motor.

An oil leak could come from anywher. Seals can leak, maybe the motor has taken on water and debry rending the rings less than desirable. Seems this is quite common with Alaskan sport quards as most trails in SC have deep water and mud holes to deal with.

Kinda funny off the motor is leaking oil but the oil tank is full. Have you drained the crank oil? Are you sure it doesn't look like choclate milk?

Cool yup

nope, never drained it, i gave it back to my buddy, but the oil was black as knight. and the oil filter is old... like 3 oil changes kind of old. man... if that was mine, i would take care of it, unlike him, poor maintenance. one of the engine mounts on the bottom-front of the engine is broken and the bolt thats holding it is stripped. so when i ride it the engine rattles like crazy. first thought it was an engine knock, but it was that bolt and mount. when i get the cash, i'll buy a raptor 700 or something.

Take a look at the YFZ450R. Don't let the engine size fool you. The YFZ450 is faster than the Raptor700 in the woods (technical trails and turning) and only looses to the Raptor700 in top speed. I have looked at both and like each one. If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the 450 for "Alaska" riding. I specified the the 'R" model as it is a little wider (more stable) than the regular YFZ450 model.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Take a look at the YFZ450R. Don't let the engine size fool you. The YFZ450 is faster than the Raptor700 in the woods (technical trails and turning) and only looses to the Raptor700 in top speed. I have looked at both and like each one. If I had to choose between the two, I would pick the 450 for "Alaska" riding. I specified the the 'R" model as it is a little wider (more stable) than the regular YFZ450 model.
    +1 raptors are too top heavy and narrow, that can be fixed with longer a-arms and axle but it never really goes away... and its still too top heavy to do anything serious with it. Get a 450, much better geometry, wider, lighter, and faster.... not in an all out drag but in the ruff stuff and thats what matters the most.

Cool yup

yeah, thats true, but a new one costs me an arm and a leg, an 07' raptor 700 is in my village for sale for 3800. rebuilt engine becouse the other one blew up. basically new. broken in good for me, cheap price. i might just have to go with that one for now.