Thread: Black Bear in Girdwood.

Default Black Bear in Girdwood.

Okay, I'm determined to get a black bear from Girdwood this spring. I know they're up there, and I went looking for them 2 years ago, just beating the brush looking for them. Didnt end up seeing anything. Whats the best way to find them in the thick forest? Would it be more worth it to glass at higher elevations where the big trees arent? What is the best way to spend my time to run into one?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

if you KNOW thy are around there.. i would learn to call. espessally if baiting is not an option..it does take some finess and fortitude though..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I second what Vince says and maybe take a tree stand out there and use that to call from

Default Girdwood bears.....

Glass from the road....way up high, where you expect to see goats and you WILL see bears. Getting to them and them being in the same spot that you last saw them is a different story.......the fall is better cause they will stay in the same general area eating berries for hours. Good luck.

Default Remember they climb trees

I'd take a piece of sheet metal to put around the base of the tree.
    There is a good you tube with a cub that ran up the tree past the hunters that were sitting in .

There are a lot of bear in the area and they stay in the same areas. I had a mom and two cubs that hung out under my deck for almost two years. We name most of the bears and the local folks know which is which. Brownies end up disappearing pretty quickly but nobody really bothers the blackies.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to hunt Girdwood? It seems like an odd hunting destination.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    I'd take a piece of sheet metal to put around the base of the tree.
    There is a good you tube with a cub that ran up the tree past the hunters that were sitting in .

now that there is funny...

on your way up put a tube around the tree so you can't get back down.

Arleigh ... not picking on you perse' just the lack of understanding of bears..

black bears climbto escape, they do not climb to hunt and the LAST thing they want to do in a tree is fight.. they are holding on just like you are.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Ive seen a bunch from the crow creek pass road. The higher you can drive the better it is usually.

Default Sent you a PM

Sent you some info with my deceased friend Andy's "secret spot"...

Default sheet metal

I am wondering how heavy of guage it would have to be to keep a determined bear from putting his/her claws through it. I recall as a kid in yellowstone the old man feeding the bears. Well the bear decided it wanted in the back of moms oldsmobile station wagon. While Hitching a ride on the back bumber its claws put holes in the wagons tailgate. Mind you I was a little boy and us four kids were pretty scared but I don't think we had anything on that bear when the old man hit the gas and it was holding on for dear life on its first car ride. Leave the metal and pack some lunch.

Creek bottoms are good in the spring as they are looking for those first green shoots of vegetation. Find some where you know they travel with good sign and sit and spot. A good field of view is a plus.

Default Calling

To answer Phish Finder's question, girdwood is close to where I live (anchorage).
    I've never heard of how to call a black bear but that seems like a good idea. What do they respond to? Would they come to a call in the spring?

Never even thought of hunting Girdwood before, always went further one way or the other. Be sure to let us know how it turns out for you..

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    To answer Phish Finder's question, girdwood is close to where I live (anchorage).
    I've never heard of how to call a black bear but that seems like a good idea. What do they respond to? Would they come to a call in the spring?
    hit sportsman's whse there are a few crappy DVD on bear calling in their racks. but about any rabbit squealer with lots of passion will get the job done. i like to spot them some ways off and call then to me. or cut fresh tracks in the snow up high. back in 01

we walked into and area north of Valdez and spotted a few hours on the walk back to we found fresh tracks crossing our tracks. 5 min of calling we had a 7 foot sow with twins coming up the river bank at us...we stopped calling and let her know it was us and she was gone quick. but they will come in and fast at times.

i have yet to get a grizz to respond i am sure they will but it will take more time and research

meet on face book here

I saw a nice Black bear while approaching the holding area prior to the Whittier tunnel last summer. I stopped and snapped a couple of pics from my truck. He was a bit ticked off, I wasn't giving him much room. He made a couple of arm swipes and I moved on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look high on south facing slopes and wander around in the woods armed and quiet.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.