Thread: Will lead bullets eventually be outlawed in US?

Default Will lead bullets eventually be outlawed in US?

Will we see the day when lead bullets are banned entirely in US?

I don't have an issue with mono-metal bullets but prefer lead for the grunt work, and enjoy shooting the inexpensive. And 22 rimfires, what's the future there?

Do you suppose if there were no more traditional lead cup/core type bullets available that the bullet mfg's would tailor the mono-metal bullets to replicate previous designs? What would Winchester and Remington offer in place of PowerPoint and CoreLok for the workin' mans ammo, maybe something like the original Barnes X... I guess we are seeing that already since some varmint bullets are now lead free.

If no lead, would all mono-metal bullets be "premium bullets"?

My wife says I don't like change, so you guys need to re-assure me that all will be well in the bullet world if we are made lead free in the future!

All the choices and selection of non-premium bullets we have now make handloading and shooting so fun and intersting plus not costing an arm and a leg. Tell me we won't lose that.... Something to think about...

Default Maybe

I believe that some time down the road that the commercial loading of lead based bullets will be halted. Not by the ammo companies as much as the EPA/OSHA and lead associated legislation concerning workers exposure to lead particles.
    People who cast and load will probably not be included unless the states legislature adopts some EPA style law like Commiefornia did.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Some states are already working towards outlawing lead wheel weights. Bullets will be the next to go. All the more reason to hand load and cast your own.

California has already banned lead wheel weights. I think (but not sure) the ban goes into effect the first of the year.

But I do agree with some of you that lead bullets will be gone within a decade or so along with all lead sinkers, jigs, etc.
    Tennessee

Unhappy yup...

Probably in the next 8 years if voters keep electing the same type of people we now have running our country and making our laws.

Yes, yes in our lifetime we will see a ban on lead projectiles. The military already has 'GREEN' ammo, (not green tip SS109) and the union state of KaliforniKate has some lead bans in place. Ranges are in danger from lead contamination and a lead bullet ban, however ridicules, is inevitable.
    It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It'll happen if we let'em do it to us, just like with Lead Shot.

We may not be able to stop them because we are outnumbered, by the loonies.

Also, many hunters and shooters will jump on the bandwagon, to save the Earth from Lead too, because it's easier than standing up to this kind of nonsense.

Junk Science abounds. Including that of Global Warming, Secondhand Smoke, and CO2.

Stupidity, has become an Art Form. We need to oppose it, when and where we can.

Remember this stuff next election, and don't be embarrassed to bring it up.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yep and they are still trying to make a nonlead shotshell that works as good as lead did.

Since they could not kill us immediately, they will use the tried and true method of death by a 1,000 cuts.

After the lead goes, they will complain about the amount of carbon emissions that every shot releases into the atmosphere. Not the mention the health hazards associated with small children swallowing primers.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

It's a good question that you ask Ozarks. Sadly and reluctantly, I agree with the comments of others that we will likely see a ban on lead bullets in the future. I think it's coming, probably sooner than later with the current political climate of increasing governmental regulations.

Some of you are probably already aware of a study done last year by the CDC that examined the lead levels in consumers of venision harvested in Wisconsin. The study found that lead levels in consumers exceeded acceptable levels and also concluded that children were at greater risk for excessive levels of lead in their blood. I suspect that this study will be referenced in future actions to restrict/eliminate lead bullets for hunting consumptive game. I've pasted the link so that you can read the study yourself (it is the 4th reference appearing on the list).

http://www.cdc.gov/search.do?queryTe...archButton.y=5

I'd like to point out that in addition to calling for each state game regulatory entity to educate hunters of the potential health hazard from eating game harvested with lead bullets and ensure the availability of lead alternatives, the author of the study also suggests that changes in game processing procedures could significantly reduce the lead levels of those consuming the game meat...it is that latter point that I strongly suspect will be omitted by those advocating a ban on lead bullets.

Doc

Angry

If the Democrats have their way all bullets and the guns we use them in will be outlawed
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Since they could not kill us immediately, they will use the tried and true method of death by a 1,000 cuts.

After the lead goes, they will complain about the amount of carbon emissions that every shot releases into the atmosphere. Not the mention the health hazards associated with small children swallowing primers.
    Interesting. CO2 from recreational shooting

Sometimes things can change back.

The 68 Gun Control law was either repealed or ran it's course. ?????

Anyways we shouldn't give up, but oppose this stuff.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default No secondhand smoke

There is cerainly a lot of mis-information with the greenies but I'll have to agree on the second hand smoke ban. I don't agree with much they do but getting rid of smoking in the workplace and airplanes etc. was the right move for many reasons including health concerns. That being said I wish they could have banned in on more on just plain old common sense and consideration of non-smokers

Eveyone gets something right once in a while

One other big use of lead in in solder for electronic circuits - they are working on it but still having problems with the substitutes. The other is in batteries for cars etc. A lot of that does get recycled and is pretty much contained.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It'll happen if we let'em do it to us, just like with Lead Shot.

We may not be able to stop them because we are outnumbered, by the loonies.

Also, many hunters and shooters will jump on the bandwagon, to save the Earth from Lead too, because it's easier than standing up to this kind of nonsense.

Junk Science abounds. Including that of Global Warming, Secondhand Smoke, and CO2.

Stupidity, has become an Art Form. We need to oppose it, when and where we can.

Remember this stuff next election, and don't be embarrassed to bring it up.

Smitty of the North
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    There is cerainly a lot of mis-information with the greenies but I'll have to agree on the second hand smoke ban. I don't agree with much they do but getting rid of smoking in the workplace and airplanes etc. was the right move for many reasons including health concerns. That being said I wish they could have banned in on more on just plain old common sense and consideration of non-smokers

Eveyone gets something right once in a while
    I don't mind the fact that smoking is banned in certain places, on Airplanes for example, for the comfort of others, but I think it should be allowed in a place of business at the discretion of the owner of that business.

I think that pretty much everyone knows that smoking isn't healthy for the smoker, but this stuff about thousands of people dying from Secondhand Smoke is what I consider Junk Science.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Well, you can have the all copper bullets I don't like them and I think I have used them enough over the last five years to draw that personal conclusion for me due to my experience in the field with the barnes X, TSX, TTSX, GS, and E-tip.

I am glad I am my age, and that I have been stocking up on components especially bullets that I like such as the Partition and Accubond and some Game Kings. Bullets for my hunting rifles that I use most for the rest of my life. If they band those bullets in my state I will still use what I have. If it get a ticket for it so be it!!!!

I will fight it at the voting poles and letters to my state senators and do all I can to stop the nonsense. I can't even express what I would do if they want my guns, especially on a public forum and I don't think that I am the only one who feels this way. As far as I am concerned it has nothing to do with change, I don't mind change if it is better at accomplishing the task at hand. It has to do with what is TRUE not FELT or MADE UP.

I really am trying when writing this to contain and restrain my anger at those who would take my very freedoms away to establish their right of power and continue their agenda of control. I know I would truly die for what I believe is essential to my freedom. I did not go to Vietnam and make it there to give up now in anyway or form and you can take that to the bank.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Very well said BT...I'm right there with you brother (except you already know that you and I don't see eye to eye on the TSX...respectfully of course).

Doc (Chuck)