Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larsen Bay, Kodiak results

Default Larsen Bay, Kodiak results

I figured I would give you guys the results of my hunt in the Larsen Bay area of Kodiak. This was a first time hunt for me so climbing those hills was a wake-up call.

I nailed the first 8 point or 4x4 which ever you prefer, within the first 45 minutes of landing on the beach. I had never used a call before in my life. My wife had yelled at me for spending alot of money on all my hunting supplies. (She told me my calls were a waste of money...hehe)So I thought I better use those calls. I figured I had to at least give'er a couple toots to say I had used them. So after walking no more than 10 mintues, I came to a nice open field ajacent to a thick woodline. I made two grunts and one bleat and that dude came in with his head down. I made the 100 yard shot and he was mine.

The second 8 point buck came on day 3 after hiking 2 hours up. I had been glassing numerous does & fawns walking together upon reaching the top. After re-checking a doe I seen movement behind her and there he was!! All I had was a neck shot. The wind was blowing like a son of a gun. I took the 125 yard shot and missed. The buck ran off in the opposite direction from the doe and fawn. I was able to find the doe and fawn again. So I caught my breath and just waited and hoped the buck would re-join his doe and fawn. I waited for about ten minutes (Which felt like an hour) and still nothing. Something told me to glass all around the doe and fawn....then I saw him!! He was laying on a nearby hillside just watching the doe and fawn. He was broadside so I laid it on him. A clean 150 yard broadside shot. Even bigger than the first one!!

Day four I thought, these calls work!! So I laughed and pulled out my brand new cotton tail call and gave her my best. All be darned if a beauty of a red fox just came right in after no more than 2 minutes of calling. He walked into my bullet at only 30 yards.

So you can be assured my wife knows all about how "It was worth it" to buy all those calls. I had a blast. I ended up letting a fork walk and not seeing another large buck. So I took a button buck on the last day. Anyways check out the pics. Now it's time to get ready for next week's Fort Rich winter bow hunt. I hope I can get a moose. Good luck guys on all your hunts!!

Default Here's the pics

I hope these pics show up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more pics

More pics of the hunt
    Attached Images Attached Images

well done...nice lookin bucks!!! boat hunt???

Thumbs up

Nice bucks. Up here most everyone uses the western count. Those would be called 3 point bucks.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

That area is fantastic...had the deer hunt of a lifetime around Larsen a few years ago.

Congrats on a great hunt and thanks for bringing back some memories!

Nice bucks and fox, and where I come from those are 8 pointers.

Great pictures, thanks for posting!

Default counting points

Once you get over 60 you get to add age/effort points to the story. After having hunted Larsen Bay before that deer is easily a 10/12 point to me. Also the one that you missed was a world record and the wind would have been howling and snowing sideways.
    Congrat. nice deer and fox, good luck on the Moose. Tom

Default Cool

Ya those are three pointers in Blacktail circles. I'm kinda interested in that green fleece Jedi outfit your wearing. It looks comfy. Is it Cabelas or Military?

You were well equipped for that adventure.

It looks like you wore camo rubber boots....how did those work? I've been considering those too. Did they give you good traction and support?

Congrats on a successful harvest. You should be eating well for awhile.

nice fox and i love the alive deer pic, it almost looks like an antlerless buck. its a good lookin' deer in itself. congrats on a great hunt.
    i've had some success with calls and then other times deer walk right by. i actually saw a doe bleatin' her heart out this fall and a nice buck walked right past here and never even looked...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My first deer hunt was in Larsen Bay when I was 18. What a very, very cool place that was, and reading this sure brought back some memories of that time. The deer we took on that trip were mostly small forks, spikes, and a doe or two, but we did see a monster buck and managed to take a silver fox that still occupies a place on my wall.

Anyhow, congrats on the hunt. I'd love to go back there someday.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the great story and love the pics!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

GREAT hunt! Thanks for sharing.

Taylor

Default Congrats!

Looks like you had a great time!
    My wife of 33 years questioned my sanity on things like calls and lures and such until I said OK, let me look into your makeup kit and see what I think you do not need! Afterall, those great looks are for catchin a man and shucks, she already had me!

Default Deer

Yooper,

Great story, looks like fun. It all brought back memories of my bear hunt in the same area. I really want to go that way some time in the future and try for deer.

Randy

Sounds like a dream hunt, I can't wait to hunt down there.

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    well done...nice lookin bucks!!! boat hunt???
    Yep, through a transporter service.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Ya those are three pointers in Blacktail circles. I'm kinda interested in that green fleece Jedi outfit your wearing. It looks comfy. Is it Cabelas or Military?

You were well equipped for that adventure.

It looks like you wore camo rubber boots....how did those work? I've been considering those too. Did they give you good traction and support?

Congrats on a successful harvest. You should be eating well for awhile.

Yep, I wore the Alpha Burly boots from Lacrosse...they kept me dry and on my feet. The fleece is some type of Alaska fleece from Walmart but works like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i actually saw a doe bleatin' her heart out this fall and a nice buck walked right past here and never even looked...
    Guess all of us guys get tired of it from time to time....

BTW, why wouldn't you count all the points...seems silly to me

Great hunt! jealous for sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast