Thread: Alaskan Range Daypack - made in Alaska...

Default Alaskan Range Daypack - made in Alaska...

...2,800 cc's worth caught my eye at Mountain View Sports in Anchorage today. Not a heavy-duty pack but not heavy either - and strong enough and roomy enough for snacks, water, whatnot and those layers no longer needed when hiking hilly terrain. In case of rain, looks to be a durable, rubberized liner in main compartment. Fleece exterior for quiet.

Padding on the shoulder straps felt like open cell foam, which in my experience doesn't hold up. But the belt was OK - closed cell foam padded.

Straps on the outside are rigged to securely hold a rifle or bow, employing a wide pocked at the bottom edge to keep it from slipping down. Seems a sensible design.

Company website: http://www.akrange.com/products.html

I believe that they are manufactured in Vietnam.

Default An Alaskan company keeping costs down...

then. I stand corrected. Thank you, Jim. I read the Alaska address on the outside. So many things are manufactured overseas these days. Looks like an Alaskan company, with products designed by Alaskans though.

The pack I looked over seemed well designed. The company offers a 5-year warranty. I was considering the pack myself and the chance to support an Alaska company added to the appeal.

After a Fall deer hunt in POW in which my daypack was too small for the layers I peeled off climbing hills, I've been interested in a daypack with this kind of capacity and features. The materials look quiet in the brush. The lining looks like it would keep rain out and last awhile. Pockets and straps looked good for my spotting scope, stand... and bow or rifle if I wanted to be hands free. The potential weak spot to my eye was the padding on the shoulder straps, which I'd be willing to beef up.
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 01-17-2010 at 21:58.

2800cc pack with a rifle holder is kinda weird, unless your only hunting rabbits an ducks. i've got a 3400 internal frame that i carry junk with fishing and what not, but never hunting for big game not enough room.
    i might have to move overseas for some work if i loose my job to the new guide concession stuff.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Similar to Cabela's Rifle/Bow Pack...

if shopping for such a pack.

Good point about the rifle holder. I liked the bow storage setup though - instead of having the pocket dangling low, has a wide pocket stitched onto the bottom edge of the pack.

The Cabela's pack is on sale now (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1)
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 01-17-2010 at 21:58.

I use the Alaska Range day pack, it was a last minute purchase for a reasonable rate. The rifle pocket that it contains .. is more for a bow. unless i'm rigging it wrong , the rifle sits percariously in the pouch and is a pain when walking. i'd say its water resistant not waterproof, but it does fit nicely in a supercub when fully packed hunting.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.